Lamplight City

Started by Grundislav, Mon 26/09/2016 00:43:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

BTW, is this a Wadjet Eye title or have you gone solo again?

I think the mix of 640x400 backgrounds and character sprites in half that resolution looks fine, and a good compromise if the full-res character animation is too costly/time-consuming/difficult. It's sort of a nineties vibe, like in those games that used low-resolution video captured characters against high-resolution static backgrounds. Will be interesting to see how it looks with character scaling.

Quote from: Grundislav on Mon 26/09/2016 00:43:54
- Heavily inspired by the works of Edgar Allan Poe and Charles Dickens.

I'm calling it now: the mysterious benefactor is a homicidal orangutan.

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Hobo on Mon 26/09/2016 18:41:06
Am I the only one who's slightly bothered by the visual inconsistency? You've got beautiful (640x400) painted backgrounds mixed with low color pixel art characters from the other dimension resolution.

Not just you no, my 1st thought was: "Wow! Lovely, beautiful, love the art and... why do the characters look like they are 320x200 upscaled sprites?". :-\
Hope they are place holders waiting for the super duper though. ;)

And yes! GK is my favourite of all times, and this gives that vibe, which makes me very happy just thinking about it.

Keep up the good work, and looking forward to follow this. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Grundislav

No, the character sprites are how they appear in game. The compromise here is that there is no in-game scaling. But they're all lovingly rotoscoped, so I'm hoping that will let people overlook the resolution mismatch.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Monsieur OUXX

The portraots look very expressive

selmiak

This looks lovely and moody. After reading the other comments I had to check again and find I totally don't mind the characters in this scaling, imho this totally fits the BGs. At least in the screenshots. Obviously I have no idea how it is when playing for a long time and always watching the same walkanimations again, but I think you get used to it pretty soon in a dark detective case. Actually I'm wondering if you scale them characters in AGS to 200% or in PS before. The prerendered highreslowres or the total scaling control?
What bothers me more is the ratio of only 2:3 nightscenes to dayscenes in lamplight city (...in the screenshots).
Just out of interest... how does Miles' partner speak to him from beyond the grave?

Vince Twelve

Looking so good, Francisco! Very excited for this one!

Chicky

So cool! I love the range of colour in the backgrounds. The name is really cool too. Are you doing the backgrounds Grundislav?

Grundislav

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 26/09/2016 23:49:19
Actually I'm wondering if you scale them characters in AGS to 200% or in PS before. The prerendered highreslowres or the total scaling control?
What bothers me more is the ratio of only 2:3 nightscenes to dayscenes in lamplight city (...in the screenshots).
Just out of interest... how does Miles' partner speak to him from beyond the grave?
I scale them up after drawing them in Photoshop. As far as the ratio of night to day, currently I've only done the art for the prologue, first case, and some of the second, so there's still a lot more to do (so don't worry, there will be a lot more lamplight in Lamplight City :))

His dead partner serves as the game's narrator.

Chicky: So far, yeah, it's all me.

selmiak

thanks for the clarifications grundy. The dead partner as the narrator could and should lead to some interesting revelations how his dead partner can actually narrate the whole story. Cool. Please don't go the it's a mystery, the player can explain this to himself route in the end  ;-D

SpacePirateCaine

Looks fantastic, Francisco. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Working with Dave/Wadjet Eye for this one as well, or is it a solo joint?
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Grundislav

Quote from: SpacePirateCaine on Tue 27/09/2016 04:25:26
Looks fantastic, Francisco. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Working with Dave/Wadjet Eye for this one as well, or is it a solo joint?

I'm pretty sure Dave is interested in publishing, but for now it's solo.

Problem

Fantastic stuff! Except for the resolution mismatch (which is something I never liked in any game ever) this game looks right up my alley. Some of these backgrounds look incredible. Great atmosphere!

Miez

Super awesome - this looks brilliant. Good job, Francisco!

Darth Mandarb

Your progression over the years is truly inspiring my friend.

This looks/sounds amazing.

shaun9991

I love it. Great work as usual :D

Straight to the top of my "I can't wait for this game!!!" list :)
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

cianty

Quote from: Grundislav on Mon 26/09/2016 19:10:27
No, the character sprites are how they appear in game. The compromise here is that there is no in-game scaling. But they're all lovingly rotoscoped, so I'm hoping that will let people overlook the resolution mismatch.

Very sad to read this as the atmosphere and style of the individual assets is outstanding. But this mismatch is a total no-go for me on the same level as bad English texts. It just totally kills the atmosphere/immersion for me. Hope others will enjoy it though. *sad*
ca. 70% completed

Dor Hajaj

Have i imagined or you have a Hebrew graffiti in one of the images? :smiley:   

Squall_Leonheart

Incredible. One word for this.

Grundislav

Gurok

Nice portraits and conversation UI. I'm in the "all one resolution" camp, but very much looking forward to this!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk