Lamplight City

Started by Grundislav, Mon 26/09/2016 00:43:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Grundislav

Because every game about an inner struggle needs a screenshot of its main character looking in a mirror...

Surdy

Graphics are simply amazing!;-D Remember me this good old Gabriel Knight!;) Keep up the good work!

Cassiebsg

Nice! Wonder if he'll be able to get a brush or comb from the dresser... his hair is messy. (laugh)

Really great work! (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

CaptainD

Haha my eyes were a bit blurry when I first looked at this and I thought it was a very tall man standing in front of a mirror!

Now that my eyes have cleared up a bit... wow, very nice indeed.

SilverSpook

Nice work!  I bet coding the mirror was fun.

Grundislav

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 09/01/2017 23:19:28
Nice! Wonder if he'll be able to get a brush or comb from the dresser... his hair is messy. (laugh)
There are a few in-game jokes about that, especially since his wife is a hairdresser :D

Quote from: SilverSpook on Tue 10/01/2017 08:59:28
Nice work!  I bet coding the mirror was fun.
Thanks! I just copy/pasted some code from A Golden Wake so it wasn't too tough :)

pharlap

From the look of it, fantastic work as ever. You've come a long way since the first Ben Jordan (which was brilliant too by the way)

[/quote]
Thanks! I just copy/pasted some code from A Golden Wake so it wasn't too tough :)
[/quote]

Curious about how it works. I've done mirrors before, don't have my scripting handy, but my basic method was:
The mirror is against the back wall. There is a walkable area within the wall with walk behinds on either side, above and below the mirror. When the player enters a region in front of the mirror (but much larger than it), a character (the mirror image) is triggered to appear in the wall walkable area. It then mimics the player's movement (but only visible when not under the walk behind) by resetting its x and y co ordinates to that of the player plus or minus various amounts depending on distance from mirror etc. The view of the mirror image character is essentially the same as that of the player but with front and back images transposed.

It works okay, but does have one noticeable issue: As the mirror image moves by re calculating the x and y co ordinate based on that of the player character, the mirror image appears to glide stiltingly along as opposed to walking. But of course if use the walk function, it tends to lag fractionally and the arm swing, leg positioning etc gets out of sync with the player. These issues are even more noticeable than the stilting glide issue.

Any quick tips on this one? Sorry to ask for a tip here and not in the general help forums, but its more a curiosity seeing as we are talking mirrors here.

Snarky

Use the new function late_repeatedly_execute_always() to set the position and frame of the mirror image. This ensures that it always matches the character every loop.

Grundislav

The citizens of Lamplight City make their voices heard.

Cassiebsg

Lovely as usual! (nod)
Good job.

The guy with the "no steam tech" sign arms look a bit off though.
PS - Though, it might not be a problem when animated (I'm assuming these guys are animated with a few frames of waving anger. (laugh) )
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Grundislav

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 04/02/2017 18:40:57
The guy with the "no steam tech" sign arms look a bit off though.
PS - Though, it might not be a problem when animated (I'm assuming these guys are animated with a few frames of waving anger. (laugh) )

Yeah, I captured it at his "hold the sign up high" frame :)

SilverSpook

Cool scene.  Take a sledgehammer to the looms!

Grundislav

I spoke to a few pres outlets at GDC, and one of them already did a writeup!

iDigitalTimes Preview

MiteWiseacreLives!

Nice, is that a zeppelin being constructed in the background?

Grundislav

Grundislav

Visiting a falsely(?) accused prisoner at the Bow Street Gaol.

MiteWiseacreLives!

gonna be a great looking game bud..
are you getting all architecture crazy like in Golden Wake (which was cool)

SilverSpook

I love the prison bars.  I would go steal someone's horse just to get thrown in that Gaol!

Grundislav

AndyfromVA

The setting is a combination of the familiar and not-familiar, which I find very interesting.  I felt that way about Shardlight too (a terrific game, by the way).  I'm greatly looking forward to the release!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk