Lamplight City

Started by Grundislav, Mon 26/09/2016 00:43:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Grundislav

Ah, I can see how it looks like a cityscape! It's just supposed to be a crumbling wall with the brick exposed. I'll tweak it a bit so it reads better.

Grundislav

Playing with some environmental animations. A light breeze wafts through St. Denis Cemetery.

Click'd

The effect looks alright with the bush in the foreground but "off" with the branches. Not like I could do it better but there you go, feedback.

The background as a whole looks great, though.

Snarky

Yeah, I agree. It's a cool effect, and the bush (palm frond?) looks fine, but the branches or Spanish moss or whatever it is aren't quite there yet. You've probably already thought of this on your own, but a couple of things that could improve the animation of the branches:

-Instead of a straight skew, have them bend (less movement near the top, more further down to the tips of the branches)
-Don't make every bit of the branch move together in perfect alignment. Maybe some parts bend more than others, and maybe they move slightly out of sync.
-Also, be very careful about the lengths. When you skew a vertical line, it makes it longer, and the image appears to stretch.

More work, I know!

Grundislav

Yeah, it's my first real go at this, so I'm learning! Thanks for the feedback :)

dactylopus

That's a really cool background.  I love the animations so far.  The idea of animating that background is a great one, though.  It makes it feel more alive (ironic considering the location).

Grundislav

Right, I went back and properly animated the Spanish moss. Hopefully it looks a bit more natural now :)

selmiak

looking a lot better now. the top part is not moving though. there the distortion effects you had on the moss before would fit nicely together with the moving moss.
bonus points for dust and dirt particles or leaves blowing along ;)

All in all great progress ;-D

Snarky

Nice! That looks much more realistic. Compared to the first version, this animation makes the wind look quite a bit stronger â€" not really the "light breeze wafting gently" that you describe. It might be cool to tone it down a bit for the environmental animation and use this gust of wind as a special effect to add drama to some particular event or plot beat (e.g. if the tomb starts off closed and you have to open it at some point, or if you meet a sinister character).

PS: Also aside from the animation it's a very pretty background. Looking forward to the game!

sergiocornaga

I'm sorry to say that I find those vines so elaborately animated that it makes the stillness of the rest of the scene look pretty weird! I think to make it really work, you'd have to animate rustling leaves on pretty much all the other bushes and trees in the scene, which seems like a lot of work. And in turn that could involve making the branch locations shift slightly, which would mean the positions of the already drawn vines would move a bit as well! But if you see any value in my assessment of this, then I dunno, maybe it's something you'd be willing to spend time on anyway?

Click'd

Sergio is right. Now the character's clothes and hair look like they've been treated with starch.

dactylopus

Quote from: Grundislav on Sun 06/08/2017 05:32:21
Right, I went back and properly animated the Spanish moss. Hopefully it looks a bit more natural now :)

It looks so much better than it did before!  Excellent progress!  I'm glad that you are so diligent on this stuff, it always shows improvement and shows that you care deeply about your creation.

Grundislav

Visiting the University Greenhouse.

Chicky

Reminds me of the greenhouses you visit in SH Crimes and Punishment, really nice Grundi.

Surdy

Looks simply amazing! Keep up the good work :D

LimboJimbo84

Art style is awesome, good luck with it dude :smiley:

eri0o

Hey this game looks pretty and I like this colorful greenhouse! ;-D

Grundislav

The NBPD Morgue is not for the squeamish or faint of heart.

Click'd

That's some serious level of detail, your old characters would have looked VERY out of place here.

- Now for the feedback: The scales display on the left seems to be oval. How is the arrow supposed to go all around?
- Shouldn't the brain in the jar be submerged completely? Or does the upper half not need to be conserved?
- At first I thought the coroner didn't have a left hand, the glove could be a shade more different from the wood of the cabinet. Might be worth it if that's where he stands all the time.

The eyepiece on the skull is their brand of workplace humour, I take it? Great touch.

Grundislav

Quote from: ClickClickClick on Sat 16/09/2017 21:53:30
That's some serious level of detail, your old characters would have looked VERY out of place here.
Old characters? What are you talking about? ;D
Quote from: ClickClickClick on Sat 16/09/2017 21:53:30
- Now for the feedback: The scales display on the left seems to be oval. How is the arrow supposed to go all around?
- Shouldn't the brain in the jar be submerged completely? Or does the upper half not need to be conserved?
- At first I thought the coroner didn't have a left hand, the glove could be a shade more different from the wood of the cabinet. Might be worth it if that's where he stands all the time.
- The scale is turned at an angle, but I'll add some rim lighting to make that more obvious.
- Probably, but I think it looks cooler half-submerged :)
- He does stand there, but not in that position the whole time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk