MAGS October "Genre Shift" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Fri 30/09/2016 23:37:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Voting has finished and the results are as follows:

• cheKKen by cat and Raeff - 4 votes
• Sonic and Friends in: Club House by Slasher - 6 votes

Well done Slasher. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for December.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Sonic and friends in: Club House by Slasher

cheKKen
by Cat and Raeff

Click on the game title to download.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: Genre Shift
This month's guidelines were set by Crystal Shard.

Have you noticed how big companies take an existing concept and use it everywhere? For example, there's Pac-Man the Boardgame. Super Mario has starred in anything from racing games to party games to a full-fledged RPG. World of Warcraft is a MMORPG that started as a strategy game and now has everything from a trading card game to collectible figurines to a movie. But why should big companies have all the fun? We can do that too!
The goal for this month is to take an existing game (of any age) and remake or demake it in a different genre. For example, you could take a first-person shooter like Doom and remake it as a point-and-click adventure... or you could take Monkey Island and remake it as a platform game! It's fine to make it a parody or change the names, as long as you make clear which game you were inspired by. No further restrictions.

Ending:  October 31st

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Mandle

WOW! Such a cool theme! I will be too busy in October to participate, but I'm sure looking forward to seeing what people come up with for this round!

Stupot

Yeah, my mind is racing with all the possibilities. I was thinking of a Mario Kart prequel in P'n'C form where he has to find the parts to actually build his Kart. Feel free to nab that idea, anyone. It's not like I can copyright it, anyway.

Slasher

Hi,

Inspired by 90's platform Sonic the hedgehog (and friends).

if I get enough free time my idea would be: "Sonic and friends: Club-House"... A number of famous 90's platform characters will join Sonic and will work as a team.

This game will come away from being just a 'platform' game and become a full point and click ags adventure game.

Each player will have their own personal skills. Incorporating Inter-changeable main player.

Solve problems and complete tasks as they try to complete their 'Club-House' opening.

Who will be your favorite character? (laugh)

Update:
Sonic and friends obtain the lease to a house that they plan to turn into their 'Club-House'.

They find that the house is in more than a need of a few repairs as a man calls to repossess the house...(laugh)

Further Update: All the characters will naturally be my own work based on the originals.

luisdementia

The theme is really cool, and I also have some ideas. Idk if I'll have enough time to participate, though...

CaesarCub

I love this idea, and my mind keeps making up stuff like a Loom Arkanoid, I'll see if I have the time to whip out something.

Quote from: slasher on Sat 01/10/2016 09:20:59
Inspired by 90's platform Sonic the hedgehog (and friends).

Hahaha, this reminds me of a friend that tried to convince me to make an AGI Sonic game, because he loved the idea of having Sonic move super slow around the screens, this is as far as I went:

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/zOx4Zfb.jpg[/imgzoom]

I'm sure I must have the walk cycle saved somewhere :P

Radiant

DBoyWheeler

Yeah, I'm (kind of) in the middle of my own game... but I could so see for instance...

Mega Man X, Zero, and Axl in a Quest for Glory style game--except with a futuristic feel, natch.

Or, Quest for Glory done in a Zelda-style game.

Or Space Quest as a Mega Man clone, even?  (At the very least, Space Quest done in the style of Commander Keen)

Amayirot Akago

>ROLL AROUND AT SPEED OF SOUND_

"I don't understand 'roll'"

I actually had an idea to make a DOOM game AGS using the original sprites which didn't quite take off. Dunno if I'll be able to put anything together but I wish everyone the best of luck, this seems like a fun theme :D
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

Slasher

"Sonic and friends: Club-House"

Original remakes:

DarkWater

Quote from: Amayirot Akago on Sat 01/10/2016 15:30:48
I actually had an idea to make a DOOM game AGS using the original sprites which didn't quite take off. Dunno if I'll be able to put anything together but I wish everyone the best of luck, this seems like a fun theme :D

A couple years back I was thinking about doing something similar with DOOM sprites/textures, but an RPG version. Question is, would that be an option here? Usually one can't use pre-existing assets with MAGS, or does this month's theme throw that restriction out the window? In the guidelines above it does say “No further restrictions.”

Blondbraid

Quote from: slasher on Sat 01/10/2016 18:35:53

I recognize Sonic, Tails and Luigi well enough, but who's the one in orange? :)

VampireWombat

Amayirot Akago

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sun 02/10/2016 20:12:50
Quote from: slasher on Sat 01/10/2016 18:35:53

I recognize Sonic, Tails and Luigi well enough, but who's the one in orange? :)
That's Alex Kidd, Sega's original mascot who had a few games before being supplanted by Sonic.

Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

VampireWombat

I beg forgiveness from any Castlevania fans.

[imgzoom]http://i65.tinypic.com/11tsdw7.jpg[/imgzoom]

Slasher

Early gip screenshot

Mandle

Quote from: DarkWater on Sun 02/10/2016 18:31:38
Usually one can't use pre-existing assets with MAGS, or does this month's theme throw that restriction out the window?

Can we get an official ruling on this from either the theme chooser or Stupot?

This might be a major factor in people deciding if they are in or not...

I would bend in favour of allowing ripped graphics and other assets from games to be 100% acceptable:

Or else we would be asking everyone to recreate the assets from at least 2 games that dozens of devs worked on for months or years, and to get that done within a month as well as building a game out of it...

So...what's the ruling?

Slasher

Good point Ross,

I myself ripped the characters (to copy) for my game but I made my own versions by redrawing them...I mean, sonic without sonic..preposterous (laugh)

Mind you, to just rip and use.. Possibly...

Stupot

I'm inclined to stick to the official rules. Granted, we're ripping off other people's IPs already, but it's better to have some fun making new genre-shifted versions of them with a personal touch.

Slasher

GIP video teaser

[embed=700,450]http://youtu.be/j3CfQ9Dk6bA[/embed]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk