MAGS October "Genre Shift" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Fri 30/09/2016 23:37:45

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

Raeff and I present you our MAGS October entry

cheKKen

What if chess wasn't a game of clever minds but of quick fingers?
Find out in this two-player fighting game in the spirit of classic arcade games.

[imgzoom]http://www.clowdergames.com/games/cheKKen/screenshot.png[/imgzoom]

Download cheKKen here

Player 1 shall use the A and D keys to move left and right. Use W for blocking
and S for attacking.

Player 2 shall use the J and L keys to move left and right. Use I for blocking
and K for attacking.

Beware that this is just a demo we might or might not expand...

Amayirot Akago

I am totally in love with this concept :D And the title.
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

VampireWombat

With less than 2 hours to go, I honestly don't know if I'll be able to finish in time. It's borderline.

Stupot

The competition has now ended and voting is underway.

Sonic and friends in: Club House by Slasher

cheKKen
by Cat and Raeff

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR VOTE
Send the title of your favourite game under the subject MAGS OCTOBER

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: November 15th

__________________________________________________________________________________________

@VampireWombat - I haven't got the time to offer an official extention. Needed to get this done now. But if you can finish your entry today I'll be able to quickly add it to the voting. Good luck :-)

Mandle

OMG cheKKen!!!

DOWNLOADING NOW!!!

What a cool idea, you two! Luv yas!

EDIT: Just played the game and it was amazing in its retro arcade feel. I know it's a demo and obviously you would need all the chess pieces and quite a few more fighting moves to make it into something people would want to come back to and play again and again. An AI opponent campaign would also be nice: in itself a huge challenge, and the final Boss is the king obviously...

But I do see the potential of this idea to really take off and become a popular game outside of the AGS community...

And I used to LOVE playing Battlechess back on my old c64, even though I suck at chess. So, with your game, even people who can't play chess for the life of them can still claim to have won a game.

Don't forget a special announcement for beating the king: "CHECKMATE!" in an awesome FPS announcer's voice like "MULTIKILL!"

Slasher

QuotecheKKen by Cat and Raeff
Whilst the game is cute in itself and it is quite fun to knock the hell out of each other, and I know its a kind of demo but it's all over in a flash and the scripting really was not over hard. I would say it should have had at least 8 levels with variants as it is it's a one-roomed wonder that ends not long after it begins which is a shame.

None-the-less: Not a bad bit of chess thumping (laugh)

Not quite cigar time :~(

raeff

Quote from: slasher on Tue 01/11/2016 12:22:53
Whilst the game is cute in itself and it is quite fun to knock the hell out of each other, and I know its a kind of demo but it's all over in a flash and the scripting really was not over hard.

Hey guys, please bear with me... This was my first attempt at coding a game with AGS. And it was my first attempt at coding a fighting game. There is still a kick-style lower attack on the to-do-list, which I couldn't finish in time. And there are even more vague ideas floating around... So, depending on spare time and a proper mood we might flesh out the game a little more. No firm promises though :grin:

Kind regards, Raeff.

Stupot

I just tried it. I enjoyed bashing the bishop very much.

Slasher

Quoteraeff: Hey guys, please bear with me... This was my first attempt at coding a game with AGS. And it was my first attempt at coding a fighting game
If this is the case then you did well with your first game in such a short space of time (nod)

Riaise

Sonic and friends in: Club House by Slasher

Another fun game from Slasher! I really like the use of different characters in this one, and the puzzles were very good. Great work! :D

cheKKen by Cat and Raeff

This game has a lot of potential, and works really well as a demo. The concept is great, and the graphics and animations are lovely. A full game would be fantastic!

Slasher

I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of entrants this month. I hope it picks up next month (nod)

Stupot

Quote from: slasher on Sun 06/11/2016 08:06:40
I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of entrants this month. I hope it picks up next month (nod)

Yeah. There are many factors at play. But I've come to think that more conceptual topics (like shifting genres) tend to get a lot of early buzz but little in the way of participation.

Twirlly

I will say I loved the topic and really did intend to submit an entry that I was working diligently on, but did not complete in time. I was somewhat hoping for a small extension like VampireWombat, but can't be upset since everyone has the same deadline. Which isn't a big deal except that I'm sure most of us like more entries to play and vote for. I will post my game to the completed games thread sometime soon (as there is no rush now) for whomever to play.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Stupot

Sorry Twirly. I missed that you were also working on something. Of course what I said to VW would have applied to you too. That's totally my fault. I hope to see the game soon. It will get special mentions :-)

Everyone. 5 more days of voting. It's pretty close but we could do with a few more voters, if you have time :-)

cat

Just finished Sonic and I must say, it's a nice little game! I enjoyed that each character had his own special abilities and how they had to work as a team. I also enjoyed the puzzle about walking on the roof.
I just wish that it was a little more polished, for example when
Spoiler
using the toolbox on the tap there was just a generic response. I'd have expected some information that there is no appropriate tool inside and was a bit confused why I can't do it.
[close]
Also, Luigi walks to some weird locations after interacting with any of the kitchen cupboards.

Slasher

Cat:
QuoteI just wish that it was a little more polished,
If I were not working on two other games i would have done a bit more but as it is I never really got the time.

Thanks for your comments ;)

cat

Stupot

Voting has finished and the results are as follows:

drumrrooolllll...

• cheKKen by cat and Raeff - 4 votes
• Sonic and Friends in: Club House by Slasher - 6 votes

Well done Slasher. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for December.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

cat

Congrats Slasher, it was a fun game!
Thanks to the people who voted for cheKKen!

Cassiebsg

Congrats to both! You both winners just by the fact you released a game for MAGS! (nod)

Oh no! We seem to have lost 2 voters this time around! :~(
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk