Fantasy Wars (working title)

Started by Matti, Wed 22/10/2014 00:30:49

Previous topic - Next topic

CrashPL

Another non-adventure game made with AGS? And a strategy game, on top of that? Awesome! Any chances of a demo version anytime soon? ;)

Matti

Thanks, Danvzare, I hope you'll like it!

CrashPL: I'm afraid a somewhat polished playable demo will take some time. There's a few (even gamebreaking) bugs that drive me crazy and need to be dealt with. Also, the player can't use spells or research stuff yet (the AI does, though ;)). And some other smaller things should be finished too before I release anything. I'm not sure how long this all will take, but I'm working a lot at the moment, so keep your hopes up :)

Matti

It has been two busy and very productive months!

During march I did a complete overhaul of the tile graphics, making them much more detailed. It's still unfinished as it's over a hundred sprites per season, but most of it is done.

Then I slightly improved the AI movement and behavior, finally getting rid of the long lasting game-braking bugs I had, yay!

This month I finally implemented a fully working research system. There's four fields of study with different research projects. You can research one project in each area at the same time.

Right now I'm working on the GUIs, their rough look bugged me a lot lately. Next thing I want to do is to redo the city screen, mainly how and what you can build. After that I want to implement spell casting. Then the most important parts of the game will be done!

Here's parts of the summer/fall/winter landscape, haven't done much of the spring tiles yet. The mountains are still placeholders.

The research screen:

Matti

I updated the first post, primarily with these screenshots:

Cassiebsg

Lovely! :)
been a while since I played this type of game.
Keep up the great work. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Matti

Thank you, Cassiebsg.

I implemented some hotkeys and players can now turn on/off a map grid, city areas and markers for tiles unit can't pass.

Danvzare

This game just looks better and better with each new screenshot.
It's going to be brilliant when it's finally released. And those graphics. They're enough to make me drool! :-D

I am legitimately looking forward to this game. (nod)

Athanor

I'm too looking forward to your game, it looks just beautiful and sounds very interesting! I'd like to play it right away. :)

Matti

Thanks for the nice comments, they sure keep me motivated.

Yes, the graphics have come a long way and I'm satisfied with the result. Right now - after a lot of trial and error - I finally found a way to draw the mountains in a way that pleases me. I also added hills that give a bonus in battle but must be flattened for farmland.

Blondbraid

Man, those screenshots really remins me of when I used to play Age of Empires II! ;)

KyriakosCH

This looks just EXCELLENT!!!

Btw, your own work already is of top quality so you'd likely not have use of my help, yet I might be able to help with gfx if you need anything. I have created (literally) hundreds of static gfx for CivIII, eg the following ancient greek city set :)

http://s11.postimg.org/4733til5f/Untitled2.png

(http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=5794679#post5794679)

Keep up your Great work!!!

Edit by Darth: non game related img removed
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Matti

After a summer break I started working on the game again yesterday.

As I'm still not planning to implement real pathfinding (in this version) there won't be continents or islands in the game. But I felt the urge to at least add some sea coasts and there we go. It means more coding and a lot of additional drawing but it's also a lot of fun and really adds to the game.

@ Kyriakos: Many thanks for the kind words! :smiley:

Danvzare

I love water in games like these. :-D
It's one of the main reasons why I didn't like Seven Kingdoms 2. No water you see. Despite the original game actually having water!

And your water, it looks fantastic!
Will it be animated or static?

Matti

So far everything on the map is static. I could animate some tiles but it would slow down the performance drastically. Maybe I'll animate some later on and make animations optional, but that's definitely not on my priority list. I agree though that at least animated water would be a nice touch.

Mandle

I don't care if the sea is animated or not: That coastline looks beautiful!

Is your real name Slartibartfast by any chance?

Matti

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 05/10/2016 14:36:14
Is your real name Slartibartfast by any chance?

I had to google him, but yeah, I see the point ;)

Thanks!

Mandle

Quote from: Matti on Wed 05/10/2016 15:48:26
I had to google him

Read the book! It's short and it will change your world! The sequels are pretty good too!

CaesarCub

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 05/10/2016 15:59:59
Read the book! It's short and it will change your world! The sequels are pretty good too!

Except Mostly Harmless, you should never read that.

Also, the coastline is lovely :D

Darth Mandarb

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Matti on Wed 05/10/2016 13:08:42
After a summer break I started working on the game again yesterday.

As I'm still not planning to implement real pathfinding (in this version) there won't be continents or islands in the game. But I felt the urge to at least add some sea coasts and there we go. It means more coding and a lot of additional drawing but it's also a lot of fun and really adds to the game.

@ Kyriakos: Many thanks for the kind words! :smiley:

AWESOME :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk