Porcine Walk Cycle

Started by Scavenger, Tue 04/10/2016 13:16:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Scavenger

I need to animate a pig walking, and I'm not really sure I've got it down properly. I've only really done bipeds before, so quadrapeds are new territory for me. I referenced the Muybridge pig for it, but it's a little difficult to extrapolate it for pixels:

[imgzoom]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50882197/art/GameStuff/pig_walkside.gif[/imgzoom]

I'm not quite sure where to go with the walk animations, where to put the bounce in, or even if there should be any. Trying to add a bounce made it look phony, so how do I make this pig walk look more natural? And how can I make the front and back views not look like ass (no pun intended)?

KyriakosCH

I think those beings move both feet of the same side in the same phase?

Unlike an ant, which basically would have the cross thing (although with 3 legs), and it seems you have cross connection in the pig's feet?
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

VampireWombat

After looking at some pig game sprites, most I found don't have a bounce. Probably due to pigs having such short legs.
And looking at your images, I want to say that maybe on the side view you should make the but a little more rounded and move the tail down just a pixel or two and reflect those changes on the back view.
And maybe raise the head by 1-4 pixels on the side and front view.

As for the walk cycle, I suggest watching some videos of pigs walking and slow them down if you can.

Edit:
Actually, here's my modifications since I'm not sure if I explained things right.

Blondbraid

Could this image I found be any help?

Danvzare

Quote from: VampireWombat on Tue 04/10/2016 14:40:36
As for the walk cycle, I suggest watching some videos of pigs walking and slow them down if you can.
+1
Perhaps you could also look at cartoons, such as Gravity Falls (which has a pig), or The Seven Sins (an Anime which also has a pig in it).

References almost always help.

cat

Looking at the Muybridge pig (that guy deserves a medal for the benefit his work brought to animation) it's not a bounce, but the shoulders and butt have opposing up and down movements.

Cassiebsg

After watching the Muybridge .mov I conclude, with the same impression I had from watching yours: That you don't need an up down bounce, but a sideways bounce. With the head moving right/left, and flap the ears a bit should help too. :) To make it even better add cat's suggestion. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Hobo

Full grown pigs can actually be quite big and heavy, so I would assume that there's a bunch of weight shifting going on.
I fiddled around with your animation for a few minutes to give you some ideas on how to move forward. Maybe it helps.

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/0OIPflN.gif[/imgzoom]
I know it looks like it's limping a bit, that's because I've never worked with a 5-frame walk cycle before and I have no idea how to balance it properly.

jwalt

Quote from: VampireWombat on Tue 04/10/2016 14:40:36
After looking at some pig game sprites, most I found don't have a bounce. Probably due to pigs having such short legs.
And looking at your images, I want to say that maybe on the side view you should make the but a little more rounded and move the tail down just a pixel or two and reflect those changes on the back view.
And maybe raise the head by 1-4 pixels on the side and front view.

Since the tail is the end of the spine, I'm not sure lowering it is a good idea. Googled pig skeleton:
Spoiler

[close]

The Google search also returned this which tickled my funny bone enough I had to share, even if off topic:
Spoiler

More of this kind of stuff reachable through:

http://walyou.com/cartoon-skeletons/pig-pen/

[close]

Scavenger

Alright, thanks everyone!

[imgzoom]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50882197/art/GameStuff/pig_walkside_02.gif[/imgzoom]

I added another frame to remove the limpiness and added the two bounces, now it looks a lot better!

Mandle

It looks awesome now!

But, and mind you I haven't seen the pig against the backgrounds... But I find the brown-ness on the reverse-side legs a bit much:

Maybe change the hue just a tad so they match the pink of the rest of the pig?

And perhaps a tad not quite as dark...

Mandle

Quote from: jwalt on Tue 04/10/2016 19:17:45
http://walyou.com/cartoon-skeletons/pig-pen/

Hahahaha! So funny...and yet also such an interesting idea...Imagine if somebody redid an old Roadrunner cartoon with the characters as skeletons to show the actual injury trauma...Damn, how much bone-breakage would occur?!

I loved the Marvin the Martian one in particular!

Danvzare

The pig animation looks great now. :-D

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 05/10/2016 08:46:10
Hahahaha! So funny...and yet also such an interesting idea...Imagine if somebody redid an old Roadrunner cartoon with the characters as skeletons to show the actual injury trauma...Damn, how much bone-breakage would occur?!
Didn't they do that on Mortal Kombat?
And thinking about it, it's pretty damn funny on there too. Someone should definitely do this idea and redo an old Roadrunner cartoon with skeletons!

LameNick

Frankly I can still see the limp there. Its because the bounce happens once in the full walk cycle which causes left/right asymmetry. (When the front left leg is carrying the weight and the right is passing, the front is at high point and when the front legs are reversed its at low and the same for the hind legs)

Turning the head from side to side is a good idea but I think it should be reversed the head should be turned to the side of the front leg that is further away from it and maybe the behind could turn from side to side a little as well (it should point to the same side as the head)
Otherwise I think it looks cool.
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Scavenger

Danvzare

Aww, he looks so cute with his grouchy walk cycle. :-D

Also, definitely a big improvement. (nod)

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

dactylopus

You did exactly what I was going to suggest, doubling the bounce.  Good work.  This is a great pig.

LameNick

Looks great!

Although If I were allowed to be even more of a nitpicky asshole I'd suggest to make the bounce a little less pronounced, especially at the rear end.
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk