Anyone else interested in cryptocurrency?

Started by CaptainD, Thu 13/10/2016 13:55:34

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

what lunacy about a fork are you talking about?
The fork should be something else then. And when you have btc you can exchange via exchanges to btcfoark if you want the fork ... features, or whatever the fork should gain to the codebase...
links?

milkanannan

Lol I didn't realise it was so easy to make an altcoin! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir_Xx7GQmOs

Should we launch Big Blue Cup Coin? (laugh) :X

CaptainD

I think a lot of early alts - and modern (but lazy) ones - were simply very slight deviations of the BTC codebase.  Then we had a phase of LTC clones and more recently ETH clones.  Some alts do use completely new code but these are in the minority.

Strange as it may sound, "Big Blue Cup Coin" isn't really a crazy idea, although we may run into trouble with the abbreviation BBCcoin ! :grin::grin:

milkanannan

(laugh) BBCcoin! Let's claim it before the BBC does!

What purpose could an AGS coin serve? I guess it could be a way for people to invest in the value of this community? i.e. if the community expands and more people buy the coin, everyone's value goes up. But I think most wouldn't be into that. Part of the AGS charm is its 'secret club' feel. Anything to encourage mass adoption probably wouldn't be welcome by the community I'm guessing.

CaptainD

If anything it could theoretically be used as a forum tipping service, much like Reddcoin.  But I don't see many people going for it, it's difficult enough for a coin to gain mass adoption within the crypto community itself, far less a community such as this where the number of people interested / involved in crypto probably stands at about 0.02%!

There was a crowd-funding site based on crypto instead of fiat that I thought was going to be very interesting, but it basically died after a few months.  I still think that idea has merit, but perhaps the climate is not right for it yet.

milkanannan

CaptainD

Quote from: manifest class on Mon 24/07/2017 12:53:24
The thought of 0.02% adoption (laugh)

We could label it as "ULTRA-SECURE" (because no-one would want it anyway) and "ULTRA LOW DISTRIBUTION" (only a million coins will ever be made), no ICO, no pre-mine, You, I and Selmiak can be given a starting stake of 1000 each (yeah I know how can we do this with no pre-mine?
  BECAUSE WE CAN DO WHAT WE WANT!)
and it can be pure POS at 0.02% per day.  Yessir, we've got a winner on our hands!

milkanannan

The ultimate shitcoin. So secure we can't even give it away!

Danvzare

Quote from: manifest class on Sun 23/07/2017 17:51:50
Part of the AGS charm is its 'secret club' feel. Anything to encourage mass adoption probably wouldn't be welcome by the community I'm guessing.
Wait what? I thought we were TRYING to encourage mass adoption here. (laugh)

CaptainD

Well, the fork happened, just didn't seem to be quite what people expected.

Aaaaaaand... with all the uncertainty I used a lot of my BTC on Bittrex to buy more HYPER and GP, thinking that anything held on an exchange wouldn't benefit from the fork.  Just checked my account and I have  equivalent Bitcoin Cash (BCC) as I had BTC... probably worth a lot more profit than I will get from staking my POS coins.  Oh well...

(Incidetnally... over sixty three THOUSAND BTC-worth of BCC traded on Trex today!! :shocked:  Nearly ten times the amount of ETH traded and thirty times LTC!)

Stupot

:smiley: <---- This is bitcoin going over my head.
:= <---- This is my head.

selmiak

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/9kwepa/bitcoin-has-forked
nice read about the split and speculations about both currencies future.
BTC seems unaffected by the split and BCC drives crazy...

milkanannan

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 02/08/2017 18:11:09
Well, the fork happened, just didn't seem to be quite what people expected.

Aaaaaaand... with all the uncertainty I used a lot of my BTC on Bittrex to buy more HYPER and GP, thinking that anything held on an exchange wouldn't benefit from the fork.  Just checked my account and I have  equivalent Bitcoin Cash (BCC) as I had BTC... probably worth a lot more profit than I will get from staking my POS coins.  Oh well...

(Incidetnally... over sixty three THOUSAND BTC-worth of BCC traded on Trex today!! :shocked:  Nearly ten times the amount of ETH traded and thirty times LTC!)

I'm surprised BTC stayed as stable as it did ('stable' as far as BTC is concerned, that is; I was expected a full on garage sale in the lead up to Aug 1!) Not so surprised about BCC, as I guess it was more the wildcard. I wonder if it's worth buying some Bitcoin Cash soon in hopes it gains some traction down the road the way Bitcoin Classic did? Bitcoin Classic went on to have 1000% growth over the course of a year or two.

Yeah I emptied the little Bitcoin holding I have into a paper wallet, so at some point I'll build a strategy on what to do next. I guess moving it back into a digital wallet is supposed to give you split holdings in both currencies?

CaptainD

I'm also quite surprised, I though BTC might drop significantly with a concomitant rise in the major (and possibly minor) alts, but nothing too dramatic seems to have happened.  I'd be quite surprised if ETH didn't surge upwards towards the end of the year (but purely on a hunch).  I wonder how strong LTC will stay?

I expect BCC will go down for a while but I'm certain it'll get pumped at some point.

Hey I also unexpectedly received some Lumen (XLM) for free - seems there's quite an incentive to just hold BTC, even on an exchange, even if it doesn't appreciate that much.

selmiak

yay, I bought some BTC yesterday. The amount I traded is probably not responsible for that rise in value but I did profit :)

milkanannan

Congrats! I also randomly bought Antshares (now called NEO) at $8 a few weeks back. Now sitting at $35. 8-) This might be the first time EVER something I've invested in didn't tank! (laugh)

CaptainD

Quote from: manifest class on Fri 11/08/2017 09:09:20
Congrats! I also randomly bought Antshares (now called NEO) at $8 a few weeks back. Now sitting at $35. 8-) This might be the first time EVER something I've invested in didn't tank! (laugh)

Hehe it had to happen sometime! :grin:

milkanannan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk