Anyone else interested in cryptocurrency?

Started by CaptainD, Thu 13/10/2016 13:55:34

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

Now I'm wishing it would go back down to $3600! (laugh) I need to buy more. :-\

Sold my NEO at $48 USD and bought a bunch of Ripple with it, which to me seems underpriced at the moment at 0.16 USD (was up around .30 for a stretch, so I'm hoping it is going to bounce back).

I heard some cool things about this Ark. Building a platform for anyone to create a cryptocurrency using a few clicks, which I think is a really cool idea and would make for a platform in which the public could literally invest in ...anything! Create a coin for yourself, your dog, the city of Seoul, your punk rock community, ...anything! Not exactly sure whether the idea will take off or not, but definitely interesting.

CaptainD

Quote from: manifest class on Thu 17/08/2017 07:16:50
I heard some cool things about this Ark. Building a platform for anyone to create a cryptocurrency using a few clicks, which I think is a really cool idea and would make for a platform in which the public could literally invest in ...anything! Create a coin for yourself, your dog, the city of Seoul, your punk rock community, ...anything! Not exactly sure whether the idea will take off or not, but definitely interesting.

Ugh... as if there aren't enough alts around already!!! 8-0  I guess if there's a large community and something to give new coins created some intrinsic value, maybe they've got as good a chance of succeeding as anything... guess things like 51% attack protection must be built into it?  DIY altcoins will surely just become P&D coins 99.9% of the time?  Like the vast majority of existing alts.

milkanannan

Yeah fair enough. And yes, so many alts out there already! But I do think there's going to be some sort of 'kickstarter' of crypto, where users start coins as a way to raise capital but also gives others a chance to invest in the project instead of just donate.

CaptainD

Quote from: manifest class on Thu 17/08/2017 09:09:39
But I do think there's going to be some sort of 'kickstarter' of crypto, where users start coins as a way to raise capital but also gives others a chance to invest in the project instead of just donate.

That's an interesting idea actually.  PICISI was supposed to be a crypto-based Kickstarter but never really took off and has subsequently vanished... but yeah, there's probably mileage in the concept.

milkanannan

Yeah I think it is a cool concept too. Or the idea that you could be a smart university student, 20 years old, very bright future ahead of you, and you start a coin so the world can invest in you, i.e. betting on you gaining some mileage in life and creating something of value for humanity.

Stupot

I don't get those numbers. What does $3600 etc mean? Surely that's not the amount that one bitcoin is worth?

selmiak

Quote from: Stupot+ on Fri 18/08/2017 05:29:10
I don't get those numbers. What does $3600 etc mean? Surely that's not the amount that one bitcoin is worth?

The crazy thing is, this is exactly what one bitcoin is worth.
https://bitcoincharts.com/charts/bitstampUSD#rg5ztgSzm1g10zm2g25zv
one BTC was worth $3.900 3 days ago. If you had bought one 3 days ago for $ 3900 you could have sold it half a day ago for $4450 and made $550 in 2 days. If you had bought 2 BTCs your profit would have doubled. But look at that crazy curve, the same thing can happen downwards and you might have lost $500 or $1000 (but still have the same amount of BTC if you don't sell it...). BTC is very volatile and the worth is changing all the time, so don't invest if you need the money somewhere else and urgently need BTC to rise ;)

milkanannan

Quote from: Stupot+ on Fri 18/08/2017 05:29:10

Yeah the price has been going up like crazy. Bound for a correction soonish. If you are new to Bitcoin, numbers like '3600' doesn't mean you can only buy in if you pay for a whole Bitcoin. You can by any fraction of a Bitcoin you want.

milkanannan

Anyone tried this 'Brave' browser you keep hearing the crypto community talk about? I'm downloading it now.

selmiak

I did read into it

from here: http://www.knowyourmobile.com/products/brave-web-browser/23731/brave-browser-basically-anti-chrome
QuoteSo instead of blocking all ads, Brave seeks out the really intrusive onesâ€"those ones known as “Malvertising” that can install malware on your computer without your knowledgeâ€"and replaces them with Brave's own advertising that is less intrusive on your privacy.

The company will then keep 15% of the ad revenue for itself, pay 55% of the revenue to the content publisher whose site the ad appears on, give 15% to ad partners, and finally, give 15% of ad revenue to Brave users, who can then donate that money to bloggers and other content providers via micropaymentsâ€"meaning that you decide which sites of those you love gets the cash for the ads.
so how will they pay the 55% to website publishers? The words sound noble but how? It seems to me more like they replace ads on websites with their own ads, take 70% (15%+55%) of the admoney and bait users with the 15%  they share to use their browser and view their ads.
the brave website says the browser just blocks all ads and trackers and has some payment system...

selmiak

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/zmvkke/this-is-not-a-drill-a-hacker-allegedly-stole-dollar32-million-in-ethereum

even bad press draws some attention. And hackers deem ether (ETH) worthy of stealing and hacking, so, this bad press might even down the value of ETH some, but it will rise again after people get over the cautioness from the hacks and see it is worthy the investment. So don't take my word for it, noone knows the future, but it seems now is a good time to put some 50-100 or 1000 real life coins into this and save it for some years. Or maybe 10-50 every month while it's on the rise, just like you would stuff it into the sock under your pillow ;)

milkanannan

Monero's had quite the run. Not surprising at all given its now the face for anonymous crypto. Wish I had bought it before this jump! :undecided:(laugh) Probably still a good buy considering its opening up for trade on that large Korean market today. It's currently at $133 USD. Let's see where it goes this coming week!

milkanannan

I had an eventful few weeks. NEO shot back up from $20 USD, which was nice, but I'm riding this one a bit more longterm. Hoping it gets back to its previous $50 USD high. Just need a positive word from the Chinese gov. (roll)

I bought some Ethereum for the first time. Prices haven't been this low in a while, so I thought it might be an opportunity to experiment with different coins.

Because I use Bittrex (and exchange that operates in BTC and not USD), I've been analysing growth of alts in BTC prices to sort of hedge against movements in BTC. Sucks when you make a gain in an alt only to find out that BTC made that same gain and you would have been better off just leaving your funds in BTC. (wtf)

CaptainD

I kept hold of some HTML5coin, and it seems to be resurfacing - currently at 2 sats (even selling at that would still be nice) but I have hopes that it will touch 10 sats again at some points.  Lots of activity / apparent activity by the devs.

REALLY wish I'd kept hold of some DigiBytes!! (DGB)  375 sats currently.

Diamonds (DMD) is still doing very nicely indeed, active community and dev, V3 coming in a couple of days which introduces MasterNodes and should push the price up even further.

selmiak

bitcoin is going down over the last days and especially heavy today.
Probably because the JP morgan boss called it unreal or so in the press. mean, but this happens every time one of these financial institution people that are scared of the value of code shoot at btc.
the question is how long will it go down? 1 day? 3 days? or even longer? I think once it reached some value people will invest again as they see it is cheap now. So you have to find that moment before it rises again or just buy some now before it rises again. Who knows :)

milkanannan

Yeah, and I think a major driver was one of the exchanges in China announcing it will close end of the month to comply with Chinese regulations. Lots of people nervous about this too. Anyway it's a great time to buy 8-)

Not sure how low it will go. Here is a cool table of historical corrections:

CaptainD

Diamond V3 wallet should be released today including Master Nodes and taking away stake age weighting.  Pretty sure it's not hit its ceiling yet.  I've got mine held on an exchange until the new wallet launches, seriously thinking about selling some if it hits 0.002BTC.

CaptainD

What on earth is going on with DOGE?!?!?  Is is just getting ready for a huge pump by some whales?

Shame I never invested in some Myriad or BitBean when they were dirt cheap... oh well at least I made a good return on DMD.

milkanannan

I think part of Doge's problem is it doesn't do anything new. It's sort of like a Bitcoin clone with a dog's head.

Lol you really like those random coins. Bitbean? I'd never even think to buy that. I'm sure there are those that make some randomly incredible gains, but with my luck I'd never successfully pick them out.

Bought 0.1 BTC more NEO last night. My guess is the moment China figures out its crypto game plane that sucka's going to jump back up to its earlier high.

selmiak

bitcoin is on some plateau, it could go down from there (if at all, a max of 500 down, no more) or more and more people buy in and it goes through the roof again *yawn*
It seem the ~3000$ value is some magic value the curve dances around, just becaise people want to buy below 3k, some get nervous and buy for close to 3k but above and thus it rises again and the less than 3k bidders get nothing, maybe it goes down below the 3k but my estimation is a rise, but if it goes below 3k, then not by much....

also ether (ETH) has dropped a lot in value but is on the rise again, maybe the rise continues.

Have any of you converted their pre-fork BTC to BCC already? Can you just sell this then???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk