Asylum Jam on GameJolt (Nov 11th - Nov 13th)

Started by selmiak, Thu 20/10/2016 16:52:57

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

I figured I'll just share this as I'm always angry finding out there was a gamejam with an interesting theme and I didn't know about it...
Though I fear 2 days are not quite enought to write a cool horror story and creepy characters, that's mainly what makes a horror adventure game work...

Asylum Jam is back for 2016, and we're celebrating four straight years!

This year, we'll be giving out an optional theme at the beginning of the jam period, for those of you that want an extra challenge! Stay tuned.

Asylum Jam is a 48 hour long game jam where game developers are challenged to make a horror game and explore the genre without negative mental health or medical stereotypes. This year, Asylum Jam will be taking place from November 11th to 13th for whatever 48 hour period that is most convenient for you in your timezone. The ticker here is set to 12AM GMT+13, and the jam timer has been set to cover four days (so it will encompass a two day period anywhere in the world - though please only spend 48 hours on your entry! This is a trust system.)

The challenge, as always, is to create a horror game following this one rule:

"1.) You should not use asylums, psychiatric institutes, medical professionals or violent/antipathic/'insane' patients as settings or triggers."

We've had hundreds of participants and games over the past three years - amazing procedurally generated dungeons, gorgeous visual novels and some really interesting forays into horror gaming.

If you're flying solo or want to participate in a team, the Looking for Group/Looking for More document will be up soon! Keep an eye here, or on @AsylumJam.

http://www.asylumjam.com/

selmiak

After playing Gord10's cool game A short nightmare and liking it it decided to play some more of these jam games. They are found on gamejolt under http://gamejolt.com/tag/asylumjam2016
Some games are very weird, but not weird as you would want your horrorgames, the games are rather horribly bad. Which is okay for a 2 days jam, maybe there are some cool diamonds in the rough. Then I found strand, it is a 1st Person, 3D experiential horror game for PC where your pod mysteriously descends to the depths of the ocean. so says the cover. So finally it is a game in which you dive down in a submarine and can push some levers. The immersion is cool, the gameplay not very interactive and then it turns black and still beeps and you can click around in darkness and I quit. Up to there it is okay to check out.
There are some Trump-themed horror games but not very good.
Chillinjam Castle is interesting and the constant flashes in the old castle are really shocking, every time. I died while solving a puzzle. Sadly the flashlight ingame is so bright you can hardly read the clues on the white paper int he dark room :P

I guess I'll play some more and post some more. I wouldn't mind recommendations if you found a cool horrorgame in that jam.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk