Sniper and spotter serving the motherland

Started by Blondbraid, Fri 28/10/2016 20:34:41

Previous topic - Next topic

CrashPL

I wonder how long it took him to build that card castle... Guess he won't be very happy about it. ;)

And yes, gotta love the goat, such a cute animation. :D

SilverSpook

Awesome animation!  That must've took some time to put together!

Blondbraid

Quote from: SilverSpook on Sat 25/02/2017 19:25:34
Awesome animation!  That must've took some time to put together!
Yes, it took me around two hours to draw and animate the commissar and his toppling card castle.

I do feel that I'm making progress however, most puzzle pieces are in place, the only things I haven't begun
working on yet are the ending scene and one other character of which I've been unable to decide between two
different concepts for said character. But otherwise, things are beginning to take shape!

Riaise

Looking good, Blondbraid! I can't wait to play it! ;-D

Blondbraid

I've spent the weekend adding a new character and implementing him in puzzles and dialogues.
I wanted Olga and Ivan to interact with a member of the resistance, so this person wouldn't be a real soldier
but instead an unlikely person whom happened to take up arms against the Nazis.
I had a hard time deciding on who this character should be, but this is what I came up with;

A young boy who's parents were killed by the Nazis because they thought his parents might make people join the resistance.
Seeing his parents killed by Nazis made the boy join the resistance.

AnasAbdin

And does this young boy with the sad story have a name?  :~(
Away from all sadness, I don't know why I cracked up at the lurking Jeep in the background  (laugh)

Blondbraid

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Mon 06/03/2017 05:56:18
And does this young boy with the sad story have a name?  :~(
Away from all sadness, I don't know why I cracked up at the lurking Jeep in the background  (laugh)
I haven't decided a name for him yet, but if it's any consolation, he now lives with his aunt,
and he does manage to spend time in school in between fighting the Nazis.

As for the jeep, it's backstory is that it was built by an up and coming young american lass with a boyfriend serving in the navy,
and later on it was shipped along with other military vehicles and supplies to Russia as part of USA's alliance with the soviet union,
and issued to a red army infantry captain but after a few drunken shenanigans it somehow ended up in the hands of Olga and Ivan's Commissar.

I haven't come up with a good way of actually including this backstory in the game itself though...  (roll)

I have also started a devlog on Game Jolt in the hope of reaching a wider audience.

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 06/03/2017 21:38:52
As for the jeep, it's backstory is that it was built by an up and coming young american lass with a boyfriend serving in the navy,
and later on it was shipped along with other military vehicles and supplies to Russia as part of USA's alliance with the soviet union,
and issued to a red army infantry captain but after a few drunken shenanigans it somehow ended up in the hands of Olga and Ivan's Commissar.

Do you come up with backstories for all of your inanimate objects, or just the ones people point out? (laugh)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Tue 07/03/2017 13:01:27
Do you come up with backstories for all of your inanimate objects, or just the ones people point out? (laugh)
I'll admit I just made that one up on a whim, but I have tried to make the most of the things you
can see in the background of the screenshots have some reason of being there, either to set the mood or
factor into a puzzle.

But the backstory for the jeep wasn't that big of a leap in imagination since I did use a photo of an american
army jeep for a reference, it's much easier to find good pictures of american items and vehicles than soviet ones.
Here's the image I used as reference:

Blondbraid

Good news everyone!
The game is now playable from start to finish and all core elements are there!

However, it's not quite ready to be released yet as it still needs a few more animations and music.
And polishing. Lots of polishing.

Cassiebsg

Sounds awesome! Well done and I'll be looking forward to chapter 2 in this twos life. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AnasAbdin

Yay! Can't wait (laugh)
Careful polishing! I see my favorite-AGS-character-ever near that shotgun >:(

Riaise

Great news! It looks like Olga's already started on the polishing... (laugh)

CrashPL

Haha, so, Olga is preparing for some more shooting action, eh? :D Good luck with the polishing process!

SilverSpook

Polish that thing baby, polish!  I know how that goes, let me tell you!

Love the jeep, and good luck on getting to the release finish line!  (I think I will beat you, hehehe... ;) )

Tabata

Good news! Can't wait for this to be released!

Grok

If you want the Russian WW2 version of a jeep you should go with GAZ-67 (Gorkovsky Avtomobilny Zavod)

The similarity to the American Willys MB is not a coincident :)

Blondbraid

Thank you for your kind words everyone!
Quote from: Grok on Fri 17/03/2017 17:39:56
If you want the Russian WW2 version of a jeep you should go with GAZ-67 (Gorkovsky Avtomobilny Zavod)
The similarity to the American Willys MB is not a coincident :)
Nice, I'll have to remember that jeep model!

I have made a few new animations since my last update, including two new animations for the commissar. It was a bit of work to animate his arms due to the stars on his sleeves. Why did the soviets have to sew them onto their sleeves? :(
Here is one of the new animations:

Since the game isn't as linear as the first one, you can visit all rooms from the start and go back and forth between them, rather than just relying on regular checkpoints
Ivan and Olga can ask the commissar to make a note of their progress as a diegetic way of saving the game.

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sat 18/03/2017 23:25:38
Ivan and Olga can ask the commissar to make a note of their progress as a diegetic way of saving the game.

I love this!  ;-D

Danvzare

That will certainly be an interesting way to save the game. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk