MAGS November "Afterlife" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Tue 01/11/2016 00:26:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Voting has finished and the results are as follows:

• Three Guys Walk Into Heaven by Mandle - 0 votes
• Fallen Soldier by Blondbraid - 5 votes
• Psychopomp by Riaise - 7 votes

Well done Riaise. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for January.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Fallen Soldier by Blondbraid
Psychopomp by Riaise
Three Guys Walk Into Heaven by Mandle

Click on the game title to download.

Topic: Afterlife
This month's guidelines were set by CaesarCub

All men must die (some more gruesomely than others) but the real question has always been "What happens next?"
This month in MAGS we explore the Afterlife.
Where do the dead go? Heaven, Hell, Limbo, Valhalla, Sto'Vo'Kor?
Must they bribe their way to reincarnation at the Divine Treasury?
Do they become one with the Force?
Or maybe our former-adventurers find themselves experiencing a never-ending loop of Christmases for the rest of eternity?

It's up to you to tell us!

There are no particular rules, except for the game to happen in the afterlife.

Ending: November 30th

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

DBoyWheeler

Maybe there could be even an afterlife waiting room (like in Beetlejuice).

Anyway, good luck with this project.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 01/11/2016 00:26:14
Or maybe our former-adventurers find themselves experiencing a never-ending loop of Christmases for the rest of eternity?

That's Hell you're going for there, right? I bet there's a jukebox with 10 trillion selections and all of them are "White Christmas"

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 01/11/2016 09:43:25

That's Hell you're going for there, right? I bet there's a jukebox with 10 trillion selections and all of them are "White Christmas"

Ahh man. Don't. I went to Nitori on October 2nd, a full 4 weeks before even Halloween, and they already quite a considerable Christmas section. Absolutely barmy.

In other news, I'm thinking of entering something this month. I've had an idea, but now I need time.

CaesarCub

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 01/11/2016 09:43:25

Not really, it's how Heaven is depicted in The Meaning of Life by Monty Python:

DBoyWheeler

Yeah, I still think it'd be funny to have an afterlife waiting room like in Beetlejuice.

Weren't for the fact I have a lot going on right now, and that I'm backlogged on my current personal AGS project, I'd be joining this MAGS.

Nevertheless, best of luck to all who participate.

Blondbraid

Sounds interesting, but I have a question.
See, I have this idea that I've been toying with, but it doesn't exactly take place in the afterlife, but it's still about a post-mortem experience in a way.
My idea is about a character who is killed, have an out-of-body experience, walking around like a ghost for a while until they come back to life,
kind of like in the movie The Phantom Carriage...

Is this acceptable for the theme of the competition?

CaesarCub

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 01/11/2016 13:22:38
Sounds interesting, but I have a question.
See, I have this idea that I've been toying with, but it doesn't exactly take place in the afterlife, but it's still about a post-mortem experience in a way.
My idea is about a character who is killed, have an out-of-body experience, walking around like a ghost for a while until they come back to life,
kind of like in the movie The Phantom Carriage...

Well, it might be someones afterlife to walk around as a ghost, so I guess it's fine.

Amayirot Akago

Quote from: RulesYou are not allowed to use any material created before the competition.
Does this rule extend to taking previously existing materials and editing them, like changing a pre-existing sprite into a different character?
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Amayirot Akago on Wed 02/11/2016 15:54:03
Quote from: RulesYou are not allowed to use any material created before the competition.
Does this rule extend to taking previously existing materials and editing them, like changing a pre-existing sprite into a different character?
Can you use characters and stories you made up before as long as you make new sprites and graphics for them?
(Was thinking of having a character from a previous game I made show up, but with new sprites...)

Stupot

@Amayirot - As long as it's clear that some sort of effort has been taken on making the sprite your own then I can't see it raising too many objections.

@Blondbraid - Do you mean like a kind of sequel to a prevous game of yours? There's no problem with that as long as it's a new story for this contest.

(Regarding your previous Question. I'll leave that up to CaesarCub to decide as they're his rules).

Icey

I haven't actually released anything this year, been really hard at work but I want to release at least something small in 2016 and I think this may be my chance!!!

Blondbraid

I have been working on this idea for the competition;

The story of a soldier of the german Wehrmacht in WWII who falls in battle and laying lifeless surrounded by an ongoing war,
he starts questioning what led him here and pondering his role in the grand scheme of things...

Now this is just a concept image I threw together, but I hope to make it a real game in time for the deadline.
What do you think? :)

CaesarCub

Quote from: icey games on Thu 03/11/2016 07:03:10
I haven't actually released anything this year, been really hard at work but I want to release at least something small in 2016 and I think this may be my chance!!!

You should totally do that!

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 04/11/2016 20:27:39
I have been working on this idea for the competition;

It looks like am interesting idea.

Riaise

Is it OK for the game to focus on characters who already reside in the afterlife, rather than people who have died?

CaesarCub

Quote from: Riaise on Thu 10/11/2016 15:10:13
Is it OK for the game to focus on characters who already reside in the afterlife, rather than people who have died?

Yes, that's perfectly fine.

xBRANEx

My background artist failed me! I really like the theme but it looks like I won't be able to compete in this one.

Here's the opening scene:

Slasher

QuotexBRANEx: My background artist failed me! I really like the theme but it looks like I won't be able to compete in this one.
That's a shame....   that can happen when you rely on people too much..do it yourself, there is still time (nod)

Danvzare

Quote from: slasher on Sat 12/11/2016 11:20:59
do it yourself, there is still time (nod)
Even if it requires simple MSPaint shapes, we know you can do it! :-D

The backgrounds look simple enough, I'm sure you could do a similar style.

CaesarCub

I agree with everyone here, you should try making them yourself, even if they are left unpolished.
Mostly because I want to see more of what looks like a death janitor :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk