Trumpmageddon

Started by Stupot, Wed 09/11/2016 08:21:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: RickJ on Tue 09/01/2018 15:26:17
It just shows how easily people are misinformed and will believe anything that supports their own preconceived notions.

It does also reflect on the absurdity of the man, that ludicrous satire is only a few degrees apart from reality.

Khris

Btw, it's uncanny how spot-on Snarky's predictions from 14 months ago are.

dactylopus

It just shows how easily people are misinformed and will believe anything that supports their own preconceived notions.
Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 08/01/2018 17:42:02
... while I highly doubt its authenticity ...
I do agree, it does sound real enough to be true...

Gurok

Quote from: Khris on Tue 09/01/2018 15:52:24
Hope that was tongue-in-cheek, Khris
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Gurok on Tue 09/01/2018 16:54:58
Quote from: Khris on Tue 09/01/2018 15:52:24
Hope that was tongue-in-cheek, Khris

the funny part is that Trump is already the  "short-on-expertise extremist/sycophant/charlatan" about whom Snarky is talking, if you compare him to literally any US politician before the 90's, even the ones from his own political family.

Khris

Quote from: Gurok on Tue 09/01/2018 16:54:58Hope that was tongue-in-cheek, Khris
Not at all.
(I'm also very familiar with confirmation bias and other cognitive biases, in case you think I'm not.)

Snarky

I'm not sure I'd say spot-on, but I don't think I was too far off either.

I'm guessing Gurok's main objection is my prediction that:

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 09/11/2016 11:35:54Anti-trade policies and attempts to "get tough" in trade negotiations with China and other countries lead to retributory policies that may escalate into a trade war. Together with the uncertainty caused by Trump's erratic behavior, this causes the economy to plunge into another recession.

In fact, the economy appears to be doing pretty well so far.

To that I would say: First, Trump hasn't really followed through (yet) on most of his campaign promises on trade policy, apart from killing off the TPP deal. That has hurt the US, but the real damage would happen if he pulled the US out of NAFTA or launched a trade war with China or the EU. These things are still real risks, even though in terms of policy, Trump has deferred more to orthodox conservative and neoliberal advisors than I expected.

Second, it's still early days, and much of the growth we're seeing has nothing to do with Trump, but merely continues the trend from the Obama administration.

Third, Republicans are jacking up the economy with aggressive deregulation and tax cuts. They have for example removed most of the rules put in place after 2007-2008 to try to prevent the abuses that led to the financial crisis. (Among them the rule that financial advisors for retirement accounts have a duty to act in the best interest of their clients. Yes, Trump and the GOP felt it was a priority to make sure that Wall Street is allowed to scam people out of their retirement savings.) Measures such as these are like giving the economy cocaine: sure, it feels great for a while, but you're heading for an inevitable crash. Economists are already starting to talk about another bubble. And as I said:

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 09/11/2016 11:35:54Deep tax cuts lead to giant deficits, and to cuts in government programs and staffing.

A tax giveaway almost entirely to the rich and corporations, adding trillions to the deficit. Yeah, there's no way that's going to come back to bite America in the ass...

The bottom line is that I still think Trump is disastrous for the economy in the long run, but if he only serves one term he might get away with it during his presidency, and leave it to his successor to deal with the mess he's created.

One thing I think I was wrong about was my prediction that:

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 09/11/2016 11:35:54Trump's shtick wears thin very quickly even for many who voted for him. His approval ratings fall to somewhere around the George W. Bush low point of 25%.

Unless there is an economic crisis or an unpopular war, I no longer think that's very likely to happen. America is so polarized, and fealty to the Dear Leader is such an important identity marker for the right (just witness the way they'll tear apart any of their own who shows disloyalty, from Jeff Flake to Steve Bannon), that I think Trump's base will stick with him almost no matter what. That base is probably somewhere between 30-35% of the population.

Mandle

And a recent poll on Gorilla TV showed that not a single ape believed a word of it.

People so silly.

Stupot

I'm still no fan of the guy but it's pretty surreal getting to see a US president with your own eyes.

WHAM

<Deleted, holy hell why was there a thread this old bumped to the top? Sorry!>
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Stupot

Quote from: WHAM on Sun 26/05/2019 13:38:22
<Deleted, holy hell why was there a thread this old bumped to the top? Sorry!>
It wasn't necessary to start a new thread just to show off that I had seen a man from 100 meters away.

Plus he's been in power a while now. It'd be a good chance to reflect on some of the stuff we were saying 3 years ago. Did the predictions come true? Did some of us over-react a little bit, or has it been even worse? Do we have any new predictions? And what's going on with that wall?

milkanannan

That's crazy you were that close. What was the security like getting in there?

Stupot

Quote from: man n fist on Sun 26/05/2019 18:53:10
That's crazy you were that close. What was the security like getting in there?
It was my first time at the sumo so I have no reference for comparison but we all had to have our bags checked and go through metal detectors. There was a large police presence and a also lot of men (both Japanese and American) in sharp suits putting their hand up to their earpiece every so often. The vending machines were all out of action, too.

I had heard that they were even going to be doing background checks on the people sitting close to where Trump would be sitting. I don't know if that's true and it shouldn't have affected me anyway because I was sitting much further away. Nevertheless, I got a bit paranoid the other day and deleted some of my less friendly tweets to/about Trump.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 27/05/2019 00:30:12
Nevertheless, I got a bit paranoid the other day and deleted some of my less friendly tweets to/about Trump.

Which would have had the effect of making it look more like you were planning something suspicious if they had checked.  (laugh)

Stupot

So, Trump has officially been impeached, which will please a lot of people in this thread and displease others. The chances of him actually being removed from office are almost zero, but he'll always have that official stain on his legacy, whatever happens next.

How are we all feeling about the president now? Do we love/hate him more/less than we did three years ago? Are things as bad or worse than we thought they would be? Or are they better?

Will Trump win a 2nd term (assuming he isn't removed)? And if so, what does that mean for America and the world? And if not, do you think he will stand down humbly or refuse to leave and claim squatters rights in the White House?

Snarky

About as expected, I would say. Some things a bit worse, some things a bit better. Overall, a complete shitshow.

mkennedy

The phrase 'Trumpocalypse' sounds better I think.

Jack

Quote from: Stupot on Sat 21/12/2019 04:08:26
So, Trump has officially been impeached

Nah, I don't feel like being called a Trump supporter for trying to explain something.

Have you guys worked out how you're going to support Biden yet?

ManicMatt

Because talking about politics on the AGS forums has always gone smoothly and is great for the community!   :tongue:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk