Trumpmageddon

Started by Stupot, Wed 09/11/2016 08:21:56

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAM

Quote from: BarbWire on Tue 12/01/2021 12:12:29
However, it would appear that  if this does take place, he will never be able to run for office again. Whew!

I've seen contradictory reporting on that. He might be able to run if not removed by the senate, at least, though I think it's going to be irrelevant. He may be dumb as a brick, but I doubt even he will want to take a second round of what he's been through.
If Trump is the leading Republican candidate in 2024, I will eat a whole tin of surströmming (and probably die).
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Snarky

Yes, any legally binding consequence of being impeached is contingent on actually being convicted in the Senate trial. (Which is why he got off in the first impeachment.)

The common view among legal scholars, as I understand it, is that being barred from future office (on top of being removed from the current one) is an optional punishment that the Senate can choose to impose, or not, as part of the verdict, if they convict. Presumably they would do so if Trump was convicted after the end of his term. (Edit: The Constitution does not specify how this should be determined, but apparently the accepted practice upon conviction is to immediately take a separate "sentencing" vote on whether to bar the convicted person from future office. It's unclear whether this vote also requires a two-thirds majority, like for conviction, or merely a simple majority. In past cases, involving federal judges, the Senate has applied a simple majority threshold. But a vote that didn't reach a two-thirds majority could potentially be challenged.)

An impeachment trial after the term of office has expired is in itself a novel situation that is not anticipated in the Constitution (though there may be precedents with cases involving other offices, I don't know). You would think that'd mean that Trump could challenge its legality before the Supreme Court, but that's pure speculation on my part.

I must say I'm surprised that it looks like Democrats in the House are moving forward with impeachment, which is only a little bit more than a symbolic exercise at this point, and still seems unlikely to result in conviction the second time around, given the utter shamelessness and lack of patriotic duty demonstrated by most of the GOP (many of the members of the jury are, after all, co-conspirators). The politics of it are uncertain at best, too. Could it really be… a matter of principle? (And anger, I suppose.) Or perhaps it's the argument that unless a clear message is successfully sent that actions such as this will not be tolerated, democracy is absolutely screwed, so there really is no choice but to try it.

KyriakosCH

It seems a bit counterproductive to me, because Trump is about to leave the white house, so why have more time devoted to him?

Also, while Trump is unlikely to run again, others in his family might - so they could make some informal deal with the gop not to run as independent in 2024.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

KyriakosCH

Don't they have bigger fish to fry?
:=
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Cassiebsg

Hope they find the responsible and carve on his body "Biden"... that would serve him right!  >:(
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

heltenjon

Quote from: WHAM on Tue 12/01/2021 13:56:13
I will eat a whole tin of surströmming (and probably die).

Now THIS is game material!  8-0

Or at least a Black Story.  :-D

Honza

If Trump is the leading Republican candidate in 2024, I will eat a whole tin of surströmming (and probably die).

Gilbert

I thought they meant to etch "Truman" on the poor thing but they were dyslexic.  :grin:

Either way, marine life loses.

mkennedy

If trump ever holds office again, we will likely all be the ones doing the dying.

BarbWire

Hi Wham

You were correct about the Senate featuring in trumps removal from office, never to run again.
Please don't take the drastic action of eating a whole tin of Surstromming, if things go horribly wrong.
I had never actually heard of this...er...delicacy, but when I investigated,  it is described as the worst
smelling fish in the world. I saw a video of a tin of this fermented fish being opened and an onlooker
nearly throwing up. Cucumber has the same effect on my husband  :)

BarbWire

Hi Blondbraid

What was done to that poor Manatee was disgusting. I would like to get hold of whoever committed this atrocity,
and carve how I feel about them into their skin. I could cover their whole body in no time.

Why human politics should have a detrimental effect on animals I do not know. The quicker Trump goes the better  >:(

Khris

Here's a video of the leftist/antifa/BLM mob that tried to loot the Capitol:

Regarding impeachment, it's far from just symbolic as I understand. Besides not being able to run again, Trump would also lose access to lifelong intelligence briefings and his pension.

WHAM

Quote from: BarbWire on Wed 13/01/2021 14:37:56
Please don't take the drastic action of eating a whole tin of Surstromming, if things go horribly wrong.

I am a man of my word, dammit! My life may now rely on Donald Trump doing something sensible.

Oh Gods, I am dead, aren't I?
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

BarbWire

Hahaha! I like it Wham.

On another note I find it rather worrying that Trump is in possession of a nuclear code. This, evidently, is on
a plastic card nicknamed  'The biscuit.'  There is also a ' Nuclear football' which is a black briefcase used to launch
a nuclear attack, away from command.  so, he will never go hungry and always have something to keep his feet occupied  :)
Seriously, though, as he is prone to throwing his dummy out of the pram, when he doesn't get his own way, it makes you wonder
where this could lead.  I do hope they search the nasty little Trump's pocketsis when he leaves office.  :-D

mkennedy

Quote from: BarbWire on Wed 13/01/2021 18:40:49
... I do hope they search the nasty little Trump's pocketsis when he leaves office.  :-D

Hopefully after Trump's out of office they'll issue new codes so the old ones won't work anymore. Kind of like changing the locks which is also something they may need to do to keep him out of the white house.

Snarky

Quote from: Khris on Wed 13/01/2021 15:46:09
Regarding impeachment, it's far from just symbolic as I understand. Besides not being able to run again, Trump would also lose access to lifelong intelligence briefings and his pension.

Not being able to run again would be a worthwhile outcome. After last week I hope he would find it impossible to be elected again anyway, but although it is horrifying to contemplate, I must admit that it's impossible to be quite certain of that. But there is probably an inverse relationship between the danger and the hope of addressing it: if Republicans are now willing to break with him, the chance of his election in four years is low. On the other hand, if they are not, then the hope of conviction is nil.

The other stuff, however, is minor. Yes, it is galling to think of Trump walking away with a hefty pension, a travel allowance, and Secret Service protection for the rest of his life, but in the big picture it does not matter. The intelligence briefings could potentially be worrisomeâ€"he is, obviously, a huge security riskâ€"but that access is provided as a courtesy and as a matter of tradition; it is not something he is entitled to by law.

Mandle

Quote from: mkennedy on Wed 13/01/2021 19:07:30
Hopefully after Trump's out of office they'll issue new codes so the old ones won't work anymore. Kind of like changing the locks which is also something they may need to do to keep him out of the white house.

I believe the codes are changed quite often, if not daily.

Blondbraid

Hi to you too, BarbWire
Quote from: BarbWire on Wed 13/01/2021 14:37:56
I had never actually heard of this...er...delicacy, but when I investigated,  it is described as the worst
smelling fish in the world. I saw a video of a tin of this fermented fish being opened and an onlooker
nearly throwing up. Cucumber has the same effect on my husband  :)

I've never been able to eat regular fish, and I've always found the smell of it nauseating.
However, I actually tried Surströmming for the first time last year, and it was not that bad. I think the smell of the Surströmming overpowered the disgusting smell of fish. It actually smells like a really pungent french cheese more than anything else.
Of course, I only tasted a small piece, but the key is to make sure you open the can inside a bucket of water, and once you eat it, you eat it with some chopped onions.

Though I've always thought food should be like female characters;

STRONG

BarbWire

Think i will still pass on the surstromming, Blondbraid, even though you have tried your best to speak out in its defence.
Yes, women characters should be strong, but still retain their femininity.  Kathryn Janeway, in Star Trek, springs to mind.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk