Trumpmageddon

Started by Stupot, Wed 09/11/2016 08:21:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 13/01/2021 22:04:15
Though I've always thought food should be like female characters;

STRONG
I like my female characters how I like all of my characters... well written.  (nod)

Also, from the sound of it, I think my mother would really like that surstromming.
She likes really strong smelling fish you see.

Blondbraid

Quote from: BarbWire on Thu 14/01/2021 14:34:18

Think i will still pass on the surstromming, Blondbraid, even though you have tried your best to speak out in its defence.
Yes, women characters should be strong, but still retain their femininity.  Kathryn Janeway, in Star Trek, springs to mind.
Well, you can't win em' all.  (roll)
As for whether strong women should retain their femininity, I get what you mean, but I still liked how Ripley from the first Alen movie was originally written as a man but still worked when played by Sigourney Weaver.
Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 14/01/2021 17:58:24
I like my female characters how I like all of my characters... well written.  (nod)
True that! Too many writers throw in a character who only look cool, but never actually does anything interesting.
Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 14/01/2021 17:58:24
Also, from the sound of it, I think my mother would really like that surstromming.
She likes really strong smelling fish you see.
Maybe, but keep in mind that it doesn't smell like any regular fish.

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 14/01/2021 22:06:38

Maybe, but keep in mind that it doesn't smell like any regular fish.

Perhaps something similar to the Japanese fish preparation method called "Kusaya".... actually I just Googled it and the first sentence is:

"Kusaya (くさã,,,) is a Japanese style salted, dried and fermented fish. It has a pungent smell and is similar to the fermented Swedish herring surströmming."

It is banned in hotel rooms here in Japan as it is very hard to get the smell out of carpets and curtains etc. and it lingers for a long time.

I've smelt it once and it smells like really pungent manure. Never tasted it. I just... couldn't.

Khris

What's with the fish talk...? Don't let him derail this thread.

To get this back on track, here's an exclusive view into how the conservative* mind works:

*yes, I know, tell it to someone who cares

WHAM

Not sure what point you are trying to make here? This "story in 4 tweets" lacks a lot of detail and context, and says precious little about what the author meant by each tweet.
If read as malicious, this person is calling for outright murder of lawmakers.
If read cautiously, this person is hoping to see some historical change of attitudes and a newfound fellowship between people.

My guess is the truth is somewhere between the two extremes, a case of hopeless optimism and then, at the end, denial of facts to avoid having to accept the difficult reality of what actually happened.

Or do some of you know this person directly, and have discussed the matter with them and thus have some further insight into their thought process?
I feel like we keep seeing people take tiny tweets, restricted in content and context, and use them as weapons to "prove" the people they dislike to be evil and thus free game for some sort of retaliation or harm, though hopefully I am wrong here.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Khris

Maybe at least google the name before writing a bunch of hooey?

WHAM

Oh, hey, he used to be Hercules in that show I loved as a kid! Neat!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Blondbraid

Quote from: WHAM on Fri 15/01/2021 13:30:55
From what I've seen after that Kevin Sorbo started starring mostly in Evangelical Christian propaganda films made for right-wing Americans.

WHAM

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 15/01/2021 14:57:54
From what I've seen after that Kevin Sorbo started starring mostly in Evangelical Christian propaganda films made for right-wing Americans.

Eh, not my cup of tea, but a job is a job. Nothing wrong with that as far as I'm aware.

Also: how is some random dudes opinions on twitter any less derailing from the topic of Trump than anything else discussed here?

Reiter

Quote from: WHAM on Tue 12/01/2021 13:56:13
Quote from: BarbWire on Tue 12/01/2021 12:12:29
However, it would appear that  if this does take place, he will never be able to run for office again. Whew!

I've seen contradictory reporting on that. He might be able to run if not removed by the senate, at least, though I think it's going to be irrelevant. He may be dumb as a brick, but I doubt even he will want to take a second round of what he's been through.
If Trump is the leading Republican candidate in 2024, I will eat a whole tin of surströmming (and probably die).

I shall join you. I will come over with the vodka. We will need it. Surströmming is a delight if you are sufficiently drunk. Which we will need to be if the Trumpet comes back for more. Blondbraid (and her male doppelgänger Blondbeard) could join us, as well. A picnic under distressing circumstances but a picnic nonetheless!

Quote from: WHAM on Fri 15/01/2021 13:30:55

How very silly of him. God does not need propaganda. Mr Sorbo could be doing marketing for someone who needs it.

As for the manatee story; bugger them*. That is not done. Poor things.

As for the rest of it, it is amusing to see simply how severely Mr Trump has fallen on his arse this time. Truly a tweet too far. I do hope this impeachment business goes well, so that we do not have the distinct displeasure of having him back in office for anything more significant than a golf club. Not to mention changing the guards policy of the Capitol. It just seems outrageously unfair to leave it next to unguarded during an event like this, with all the potential it had to kick off, compared to how fortified the blasted place was this last summer. Dangerous, too, truly. A firm barrier at the right time saves lives.

*The perpetrators, I hasten to add. Manatees are guilty of nothing but being delightfully fat.

WHAM

Quote from: Reiter on Fri 15/01/2021 16:13:49
I shall join you. I will come over with the vodka. We will need it. Surströmming is a delight if you are sufficiently drunk. Which we will need to be if the Trumpet comes back for more.

I'll welcome the company, but I have to leave the drinking to you. I don't touch that stuff myself.  :-D

Blondbraid

Quote from: WHAM on Fri 15/01/2021 15:12:22
Eh, not my cup of tea, but a job is a job. Nothing wrong with that as far as I'm aware.
Well, apparently he directed and did the writing for at least one of them according to imdb, and there's not been much money in any of those films. I'm fairly certain he picked evangelical films because he likes evangelical films.

Ali

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sat 16/01/2021 21:02:12
Well, apparently he directed and did the writing for at least one of them according to imdb, and there's not been much money in any of those films. I'm fairly certain he picked evangelical films because he likes evangelical films.

For what it's worth, God is Not Dead is a hilariously bad film - an extremely crass oppression fantasy in which Christians are silenced by moustache-twirling atheists. It's unpersuasive in terms of proselytizing, because it fundamentally misunderstands what atheists think. It centres around an atheist/Christian debate, in which the participants do nothing but quote famous scientists at each other. There's no concern for things like evidence or reasoning; Hawking and Einstein are just invoked as if they're were the saints of atheism. It's a style of Christian argumentation and the writers don't seem to be aware that other people do debates differently.

Kevin "disappointed" Sorbo gives the best performance in it. Which should be all the information you need.

Danvzare

Quote from: Ali on Sun 17/01/2021 01:05:38
Quote from: Blondbraid on Sat 16/01/2021 21:02:12

For what it's worth, God is Not Dead is a hilariously bad film - an extremely crass oppression fantasy in which Christians are silenced by moustache-twirling atheists. It's unpersuasive in terms of proselytizing, because it fundamentally misunderstands what atheists think. It centres around an atheist/Christian debate, in which the participants do nothing but quote famous scientists at each other. There's no concern for things like evidence or reasoning; Hawking and Einstein are just invoked as if they're were the saints of atheism. It's a style of Christian argumentation and the writers don't seem to be aware that other people do debates differently.

Kevin "disappointed" Sorbo gives the best performance in it. Which should be all the information you need.
That honestly sounds like the way stuck up atheists think Christians see atheists. Are we certain that the film wasn't made by atheists? Because I could definitely see myself making a film like that.  (laugh)

KyriakosCH

While the great Hercules Herakles votes for the gop, snowflake Zena apparently supports the green party of New Zealand  :=

Can't say I blame her. That green party has the awesome "Ok boomer" girl.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Sun 17/01/2021 17:49:02
That honestly sounds like the way stuck up atheists think Christians see atheists. Are we certain that the film wasn't made by atheists? Because I could definitely see myself making a film like that.  (laugh)
Poe's Law, everyone.  (roll)

Ali

Of course, I'm an atheist - so please watch God Is Not Dead and come to the conclusion that it's terrible on your own.

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Mon 18/01/2021 02:30:06
While the great Hercules Herakles votes for the gop, snowflake Zena apparently supports the green party of New Zealand  :=

The virgin Hercules versus the chad Xena?

Reiter

Quote from: Ali on Mon 18/01/2021 13:43:46
Of course, I'm an atheist - so please watch God Is Not Dead and come to the conclusion that it's terrible on your own.

Speaking as a Christian* I cannot say that I wish to. It sounds quite dreary, and it is the sort of moaning and self-congratulating that I find quite difficult. I suppose that it is also that it is part of that very stupid game where the participants are asked to choose Team Science or Team Christ. That game does no good but the leading participants, and the type of people who live to grind axes. It seems like a rather wasteful picture, when there are so many good news that they could tell. If I am the intended audience, I decline it.

* I think. That is the path and the oath I chose, and it ought to be enough but I imagine that those evangelical types would find me a theological disaster area.

Quote from: WHAM on Fri 15/01/2021 18:55:24
Quote from: Reiter on Fri 15/01/2021 16:13:49
I shall join you. I will come over with the vodka. We will need it. Surströmming is a delight if you are sufficiently drunk. Which we will need to be if the Trumpet comes back for more.

I'll welcome the company, but I have to leave the drinking to you. I don't touch that stuff myself.  :-D

More Koskenkorva for me! Division of labour. If that man ever does manage to hack a presidency campaign together again, at least I have something to look forward to.

Now, I do hope that the inauguration goes as planned. Of course, with the capitol full of guardsmen and everyone at the ready, I can hardly believe it would not. Certainly not now, when the first shock is waning. What happened in the capitol hall will of course be a division and a dark cloud for a very, very long time, but with Biden and some other grown-ups back in charge, things do seem to be looking up at last. It is well worth enduring the Trumpet's final volleys of empty boasting from the pulpet he shall soon have to relinquish. And, as pathetic as it was, there was a sense of vindication in finally seeing that bumbling cad finally burned his fingers.

WHAM

Quote from: Reiter on Tue 19/01/2021 23:04:45
More Koskenkorva for me! Division of labour.

What, no salmiakki to go with it?

Alas, today ends the most entertaining 4 years of American politics. Let us hope that Biden doesn't drag the US right back to all of their old tricks. We've had enough of the warmongering world police. I see a lot of newspapers saying that "Biden is now becoming the leader of the free world", but I think that title has been lost to the US presidency long before Trump even came to office. Maybe around the Bush Junior years. To see something positive in the Trump years: he reminded us all that the rest of the western world should not rely solely on the US and NATO for their protection and stability, and countries should look inward once more, to ensure their own house of cards is in order before preaching beyond their own borders.

Kastchey

Quote from: Danvzare on Sun 17/01/2021 17:49:02
Podcasts by extremist theists or call-in shows with theist callers can provide a good perspective. Once in a while you will hear someone calling the theory of evolution or even science in general a belief system and people like Richard Dawkins "atheist prophets" or "atheist preachers". I seriously doubt that the people repeating this BS are all secretly atheist.

I don't think they are the majority (I sure HOPE they are not), but they don't seem to be all that uncommon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk