Tales

Started by Mandle, Wed 16/11/2016 11:03:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm stuck right at the start of the game :-[

I've just entered the library and been dropped off by my manager, but I don't know what to do next.

I tried leaving the library but the game won't let me do that.

Now all I have left is two unlockable boxes that I don't have keys for...

HELP!!!

AprilSkies

A good way to have the number of hints&Tips thread to put in the game database. (laugh)
Look in ur pockets to see if u can find a useful object (laugh)

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Fitz

OK, this one's for real, though. I'm stuck on Pantagruel's puzzle.

Spoiler
Been to Merlin's but he only said I need to put Pantomime or what-his-name out of action. I have an empty bottle that I'd love to fill with something to poison the guy or something but I can't use the water from outside the tavern to fill the bottle, and the barrel's tap is busted and, of course, I can't get it fixed nohow. I thought of taking the Swiss knife with me to the fairyland but I can't do that.
[close]

AprilSkies

Quote from: Fitz on Wed 16/11/2016 19:27:26
OK, this one's for real, though. I'm stuck on Pantagruel's puzzle.

Spoiler
Been to Merlin's but he only said I need to put Pantomime or what-his-name out of action. I have an empty bottle that I'd love to fill with something to poison the guy or something but I can't use the water from outside the tavern to fill the bottle, and the barrel's tap is busted and, of course, I can't get it fixed nohow. I thought of taking the Swiss knife with me to the fairyland but I can't do that.
[close]

hey Fitzy!!!

Spoiler
You said the tap.... how do you think you could unblock it? have you got the magic bag?
[close]

Tell me if you want something more direct ;-)

edit:
Spoiler
Btw I put Merlin to avoid hintsips thread. I have to fire him. jk(laugh) Are u sure he doesn't have more hints? ;) ;) try to ask.... ;)
[close]

Fitz

Got it!

Spoiler
See, I thought it was busted from heavy use that afternoon and needed to be opened by force somehow. Oh well, adventure game logic. Similarly, it puzzled me why I couldn't fill the bottle with water to wake the innkeeper. It's one of those things that makes perfectsense in real life but nope, the game character sees no possible use for filling a bottle with water. Didn't help that the passage to the mill is pretty inconspicuous, the hotspot being placed on the river. For a long time I had no idea there was an extra location besides the tavern. And after Pantalone downed the damn wine, I thought I was supposed to spice it or something, because there was no hint that it had any effect on him the first or the second time around. Oh well, it's a classic 90's style adventure game that doesn't make things easy on the player :)
[close]

Speaking of which, I'm stuck again:

Spoiler
I'm in the Mayan temple, and I'm in the tomato storage room. The two rocks are in place (blocked the other door with the ceremonial staff so I could take the rocks), but the puzzle is confusing. I'm trying things, but I have no idea if the symbols are arranged in the right order, and whether they're supposed to run from top to bottom or bottom to top, and it doesn't help that it's hard to move just one bit without screwing the whole order up.
So basically, my guess is:
1. Sun
2. Land
3. Mountains
4. Woods
5. Beasts
6. Man
7. Man beheaded
8. King
and I arranged these from top to bottom.
[close]

Alasher

Quote from: Fitz on Thu 17/11/2016 08:51:10Speaking of which, I'm stuck again:
Spoiler
I'm in the Mayan temple, and I'm in the tomato storage room. The two rocks are in place (blocked the other door with the ceremonial staff so I could take the rocks), but the puzzle is confusing. I'm trying things, but I have no idea if the symbols are arranged in the right order, and whether they're supposed to run from top to bottom or bottom to top, and it doesn't help that it's hard to move just one bit without screwing the whole order up.
So basically, my guess is:
1. Sun
2. Land
3. Mountains
4. Woods
5. Beasts
6. Man
7. Man beheaded
8. King
and I arranged these from top to bottom.
[close]
Spoiler
The 6 is a man from clay - beheaded, 7 is a wooden man - giant, 8 is normal man - shaman.
[close]
And this is just the beginning of troubled puzzles :-D I'd like to know, is player supposed to google Athena's epithets or that "gleamy eyes" is written somewhere?

Fitz

Funny! I didn't get to that part yet. Stuck earlier on.

Spoiler
Right now I can't figure out the pattern of turning the key is. I figured the missing bit is < - a mirror reflection of the second symbol, > - but how these relate to turning the key left and right escapes me. I thought it might signify turning to clockwise/counterclockwise, or steps it takes to turn one arrow into the other (flipping 90 or 180 degrees) but neither works.
[close]

Alasher

Quote from: Fitz on Thu 17/11/2016 13:00:52
Spoiler
Right now I can't figure out the pattern of turning the key is. I figured the missing bit is < - a mirror reflection of the second symbol, > - but how these relate to turning the key left and right escapes me. I thought it might signify turning to clockwise/counterclockwise, or steps it takes to turn one arrow into the other (flipping 90 or 180 degrees) but neither works.
[close]
:confused: Is your display that bad, there are marks above the key, 1-2-3-4-5 points. So the code is entered by rotating the key to point at corresponding numbers.

Fitz

No, I do see the dots all right.

Spoiler
What I confused about is how exactly the arrows relate to the numbers. Call me stupid but my brain's fried from all the logical puzzles at this point.
[close]

AprilSkies

Quote from: Fitz on Thu 17/11/2016 14:49:07
No, I do see the dots all right.

Spoiler
What I confused about is how exactly the arrows relate to the numbers. Call me stupid but my brain's fried from all the logical puzzles at this point.
[close]

8-)

Spoiler
You said mirror before... Is there any other mirror around?
[close]

Fitz

Yup.

Spoiler
The one next to the book, right? Yeah, I saw the pattern in the reflection. Still got nothing! Can't figure out in what way these numbers relate to the arrows written down on the sheet in the drawer. Tried a bunch of things but nothing worked.[/url]
[close]

AprilSkies

Quote from: Fitz on Thu 17/11/2016 16:21:22
Yup.

Spoiler
The one next to the book, right? Yeah, I saw the pattern in the reflection. Still got nothing! Can't figure out in what way these numbers relate to the arrows written down on the sheet in the drawer. Tried a bunch of things but nothing worked.[/url]
[close]
:D

Spoiler
Are u sure "symbols" are not related?
[close]

Fitz

OK, I see it now...

Spoiler
...but I tried it every which way, forwards and backwards, and still nothing. Either I'm so confused I'm not thinking straight or just too tired and slipping up. At this point I could really use a step by step guide easing me into it.
[close]

Alasher

Spoiler
o - 1, ^ - 2, v - 3, < - 4, > - 5. The code on the ragged paper is mirror-symmetrical, i.e. < left of axis corresponds to > right of axis.
[close]

Fitz

The more input you provide, the more confused and sick of this puzzle I am. At this point anything but the final code spelled out to me in bold letters is useless to me :P

AprilSkies

Spoiler alert: very explicit:

Spoiler
As you can see in the mirror, after opening that book, at every symbol it is associated a number, for example the the circle "O" is 1, the symbol "^" is the number 2 and so on. Now in the paper you found in the drawner, you see a sequence (consider that the paper is deteriorated, but you can figure out the sequence considering it is mirrored.
[close]

Alert! More explicit:

Spoiler
As you can see in the mirror, after opening that book, at every symbol it is associated a number, for example the the circle "O" is 1, the symbol "^" is the number 2 and so on. Now in the paper you found in the drawner, you see a sequence (consider that the paper is deteriorated, but you can figure out the sequence considering it is mirrored. So you have a sequence of numbers. Considering that the key starts in position 1, you have to turn it to reach each number of the sequence: for example from 1 go to 4, then go to 2, then...
[close]

Fitz

OK, you're really and desperately trying not to tell me the actual soulution - which is all I've asking these past few posts :P Don't tiptoe around it, gimme the damn code and lemme go to Wonderland already (laugh)

AprilSkies

Roflmao

Here u are
Spoiler
the sequence is 1-4-2-3-2-5-1
[close]

Fitz

Drat! Turns out I had it all along -- except...

Spoiler
...I wrongly assumed 1 is the "zero" position and I didn't think of returning to it at the end of the sequence. I did try that later on, albeit with a different sequence, so that didn't work.
[close]

cat

We got quite a long way without any hints or walkthrough, but now, presumably close to the end, we are stuck.

Spoiler
We found Enkidu and Gilgamesh is behind that force field. Merlin does not give any useful advice as before, he only says to think outside the box. I think we tried almost every inventory combination by now.
[close]

Edit: Nevermind, we figured it out. To be honest, this was a really unfair puzzle. >:(
Spoiler
This was the only room where clicking on the bag would activate it as inventory item. In every other room, there was a message that the bag is empty.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk