Tales

Started by Mandle, Wed 16/11/2016 11:03:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Quote from: cat on Fri 02/12/2016 21:24:35
We got quite a long way without any hints or walkthrough, but now, presumably close to the end, we are stuck.

Spoiler
We found Enkidu and Gilgamesh is behind that force field. Merlin does not give any useful advice as before, he only says to think outside the box. I think we tried almost every inventory combination by now.
[close]

Edit: Nevermind, we figured it out. To be honest, this was a really unfair puzzle. >:(
Spoiler
This was the only room where clicking on the bag would activate it as inventory item. In every other room, there was a message that the bag is empty.
[close]

Firstly, congratz on finsihing the game!

But what I was really curious about was your comment that that particular puzzle was "really unfair":

To start off with: I can see why you would say that:

Spoiler
A basic game mechanic suddenly changed to do something different to what the player expects.
[close]

But:

Spoiler
Merlin did say to think "outside the box", which means to try things which, at first glance, might not be expected to work. It can also mean to retry things that have never worked before but which, within a new context, might work.
[close]

Also:

Spoiler
I know that every player approaches a puzzle with a different mindset, and that's why some solutions seem obvious to certain players, and stump others. That being said: The player knows here that the goal is to transport something from one book to another, and the game has taught the player that the only way to do that is via the magic bag. Personally, I played the game blind to puzzle solutions with each new version before I opened the TRS file to work on the translation (which would give hints I didn't want), and the first thing I tried in this scene was clicking on the magic bag. I'm not trying to look smart or anything, but for me it seemed the way to transport him. This is the first feedback that I have heard from a tester/player that the magic bag solution stumped or annoyed them. I would be interested to hear if anyone else had similar problems and/or feelings about this puzzle.
[close]

And finally:

Spoiler
Like I said: I can see why a game mechanic changing suddenly could be viewed as unfair. I personally love this kind of thing though as I feel it ramps up the challenge in adventure games where the puzzles can get a little stale and obvious after a while: bring this thing to this guy...use this to unlock that...etc... And, as this is the last puzzle in the game, I felt that the "tricky" solution was quite satisfying... I guess it may be a matter of personal taste... I felt that feeling of wonder when the solution worked... You felt annoyed by it... That's par for the course though I guess in any game: Different reactions from different people and no game can ever satisfy everyone all the time.

I hope your feelings on this one puzzle did not spoil the ending of the game for you and Raeffe... I really do hope this in ernest, as I love the heartfelt ending of the game and it would be a shame if that feeling was spoiled for someone...
[close]

peter

Bellerophon.
How do I know which characters to enter the golden owl.
I have the correct characters from the video, but I cant see the characters (letter)I should use or to spell a name with the characters ??

Mandle

Quote from: peter on Tue 06/12/2016 14:49:39
Bellerophon.
How do I know which characters to enter the golden owl.
I have the correct characters from the video, but I cant see the characters (letter)I should use or to spell a name with the characters ??

Slight hint:
Spoiler
The correct code is the goddess' name plus an important word used to summon her, with a space in between.
[close]

Medium hint:
Spoiler
Read all the inscriptions on the wall to find the greek letters that equal the english letters.
[close]

Big hint:
Spoiler
The words you are trying to spell are "ATHENA GLAUKOPIS"
[close]

Giveaway hint:
Spoiler
You need the greek letters that look the most like:

Aenva Y^aukwTIS

(Sorry, I can't do greek alphabet on my keyboard, but look for the letters that look the most like those)
[close]

peter

Thanks now i can understand it :)

alahuin

I have managed to get to the Land of the Ice Giants looking for Thor without using any hints but now I am really stuck.
No matter how I insist, the two guys refuse to help me.
Any suggestion how to get them to comply would be greatly appreciated..Thanks..

alahuin

Quote from: alahuin on Wed 11/01/2017 11:49:22
I have managed to get to the Land of the Ice Giants looking for Thor without using any hints but now I am really stuck.
No matter how I insist, the two guys refuse to help me.
Any suggestion how to get them to comply would be greatly appreciated..Thanks..

Solved! I guess I was insisting too much the first time but now the plot is moving along nicely..

Superb game by the way..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk