Psychopomp [MAGS November]

Started by Riaise, Mon 28/11/2016 13:57:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Riaise

Story:
Made for MAGS November 2016, with the theme "Afterlife". The Psychopomp must guide newly dead souls to the Hereafter, but can they make the journey to safety?

Screenshots:

Details:

• One-click interface
  • 640 x 400 resolution
  • Game Length: Short

Blondbraid

Just finished it, and I liked the game. Maybe I have a soft spot for nonverbal storytelling, but I like how it manages to tell it's story in a simple yet engaging manner. The puzzle were intuitive too. My only complaints would be that the backgrounds look a bit flat and dull. Now this isn't technically about the game, but having to first install zip extractor and then download it to google drive and then download it from google drive felt like an overly complicated solution for downloading and playing the game.

But all in all, it was a nice game and I liked it. :)

Riaise

Thank you for the comment! I completely agree that the backgrounds are pretty awful. They looked a lot better in my head than they ended up looking on screen! (laugh) I wanted to add a lot more detail, but I just ran out of time in the end.

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 28/11/2016 16:32:27Now this isn't technically about the game, but having to first install zip extractor and then download it to google drive and then download it from google drive felt like an overly complicated solution for downloading and playing the game.

I was having a lot of trouble getting it uploaded anywhere and I panicked a bit because I wanted to make sure I got it up before the deadline for MAGS, since I'm going to be busy over the next few days. I have no idea why it wasn't working earlier, but I've managed to get it up at Mediafire now, so I've swapped the link on the game page for a Mediafire one. :)

Blondbraid

Great to hear, best of luck to you!

Stupot

Oh no. Just opened the game and you've chosen the same Eric Matyas track that I'm using for my Twine project.. Oh well. It was bound to happen eventually, and it is a great track.

Anyway, back to the game...
Just finished. Nice game. I loved the silent interaction and teamwork between the two characters.
Spoiler
I quite like the one item at a time system but what I didn't like about it was that when you're holding something, you can't do anything else. Took me ages to realise I had to go and give the torch back to the guardian in order to free my hands up for other interations.
[close]

Riaise

Ha! That track has just the right kind of eerie feel for this kind of thing. Hopefully you're not too sick of hearing it. :P Thank you for the comments, though. :)

Spoiler
Yeah, the inventory system needs more work. I don't think it's too bad in the dungeon, because the table is right there to put everything on, but I agree it's a bit annoying once you've got the torch. I didn't have enough time to add extra animations, so I just disabled everything as a quick fix. I know there are better ways that I could have handled it, though, and I'll have a bit of a think about it sometime. :)
[close]

Riaise

Psychopomp is the winner of MAGs November 2016! :-D Huge thanks to everyone who voted, it means such a lot to know that people enjoyed the game!

I'm going to start working on an updated version of the game soon. I'm currently planning on making some small fixes, but I might try and improve the graphics a bit and make some of the puzzles a bit more intuitive. I'll see how I get on before I commit to anything, though! :-D

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Riaise

Thanks for pointing that out, Cassie! It's always nice to your game getting out there, and it's a lovely review. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk