MAGS December "Pickpocketing" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Wed 30/11/2016 23:59:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Voting has finished and the results are as follows:

• Night Work by Funkpanzer - 4 votes
• Pickpocket RPG by  - 7 votes

Well done Mandle. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for February.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Pickpocket RPG by Mandle
Night Work by Funkpanzer

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR VOTE
Send the title of your favourite game under the subject MAGS DECEMBER

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: Jan 18th

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: Pickpocketing
This month's guidelines were set by Slasher.

Some people have their pockets picked at least once. It's an awful but real crime that happens. In this game you play as the pickpocketer.

How successful can you be as a pickpocket? Can you use tried and tested skills to carry out pickpocketing successfully or will you get caught and sent to prison?

Must include:
1: A variety of pickpocket objects such as wallet, phone etc.
2: Use whatever is at hand to pickpocket.

Points to be awarded for the most novel pickpocketing ways...

Ending: December 31st

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

DBoyWheeler

For some reason this has me thinking of Yahtzee's Trilby.

Anyway, best of luck to those who enter.

MiteWiseacreLives!

This ones got my wheels turning... lets see if I can follow through...

Mandle

Here's a story I heard in an interview with a famous pickpocket:

He said that his team of four would go to the target area in the middle of the night before and paste up a bunch of "BEWARE OF PICKPOCKETS" posters all over the place.

Why on earth would they do that?!

Well, I'll hide the answer as it is quite clever, so in case you want to think about it yourself first...

Spoiler
He said that the most important step of pickpocketing was finding out where the target's wallet/purse/etc. is. Watching them buy something and seeing where they keep their money is one way: But it can be suspicious and risky.

So the signs are there to make people do a nervous check of their wallet to make sure it's safe, giving away its location. Once a skilled pickpocket knew that one thing: the rest was easy...
[close]

Pretty cool!

Blondbraid

This sounds like a fun theme, I'm holding my thumbs that someone will make an homage to The thief and the cobbler!
https://youtu.be/bggDbbKyuXk?t=2532

Funkpanzer

Got a simple idea for a game called 'Nightwork'.

For some reason MAGS always makes me want to force timers on players so they get a sense of what I'm going through. ;)

xBRANEx

Cassiebsg

Looks great :)
Got one question though: Where on earth is this happening? Not that many places on the world that 3:41PM is night time... (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Funkpanzer

The sun goes down at 4pm in Montreal right now. :(

Cassiebsg

Here too... It just looks odd to me. ;)

Danvzare

Ooh, that looks interesting, especially the graphics and the timer.
Good luck finishing it on time. :-D

tor.brandt

Quote from: Funkpanzer on Sun 04/12/2016 03:42:26
Got a simple idea for a game called 'Nightwork'.
For some reason MAGS always makes me want to force timers on players so they get a sense of what I'm going through. ;)

Really like those graphics, especially the palette! :)

selmiak

Absolutely cool pixels. I really love that SquareEnix Mickemouseglove cursor ;-D

Blondbraid

Yes, I like the colors in the screenshot, looks nice!

Mandle

I think I might be in with a FMV pickpocket RPG...

Or maybe I'm just crazy for walking up and down the middle of the road outside my house this afternoon filming with a camera...

I'm sure my neighbours think me a bit loopy, as probably also does the driver of the car that almost hit me (and, yes, that moment will be in the game)(laugh)

Cassiebsg

Yeah... I also had a idea for a little game (or maybe not that little), even have some of the puzzles thought and entire story... 8-0
But alas! I need to finish my BSG up to point of next beta (before I go mad and all my helpers run away - or forget they even offered to help (laugh) ).

So... unless someone wants a partner in crime, I'll stay out.. for now anyway. (laugh)

MiteWiseacreLives!

I've got this bad habit, I seem to think that making a MAGS game with the newest version of AGS is a great way to put it through its paces  (wrong)
Got some decent ground work laid, trying out some more difficult coding and design challenges.. but fighting these odd crashes I've never seen before is pretty maddening  :~(
(Does Win 10 hate AGS or is it v3.4?)

Mandle

Well, I have a basic RPG game structure figured out, and a few twists on it that I hope I'm good enough to implement...

I've built the character creation GUI and have a working version of level 2 (still lacking gameplay though, but that's my next goal)...

Once I have level 2 (The Suburbs) working it will pretty much only be a matter of copy/paste, changing the cosmetics, and balancing gameplay, to produce levels 1,3,4, and 5...

Now that I know how the level-grinding is going to work, I must think on how to make the boss battles a bit more interesting...

MiteWiseacreLives!

Did a bunch of coding this morning, overcame some hurdles to the concept and no more crazy crashes (thanks CW)
Now to dive into the artwork and resolve some metrics.
Excited to see the games the others have hinted at in this thread!

Hobo

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 07/12/2016 09:28:04
I think I might be in with a FMV pickpocket RPG...
An FMV pickpocketing game? What?! Are you actually filming yourself pickpocketing people and making a game about it?
You're one smooth criminal, Mandle :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk