Can't play the games, says I don't have a mouse.

Started by mspenguin, Sun 11/12/2016 08:47:13

Previous topic - Next topic

mspenguin

I can't figure out why the latest games will not play. I get an error message saying I need a mouse attached. I DO have a mouse attached. Is there something I need to download or a setting on my laptop I need to change? Please help as I was really looking forward to playing the newest RON games.

Crimson Wizard

Could you tell what operating system do you use? Also, does this happen only with latest games, or any random AGS game from database? If the former, which games exactly have you tried?

Not the guaranteed workaround: the latest version of AGS allows player to continue even if mouse was not properly detected. You could try downloading the archive from here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/releases/finals/AGS-3.4.0-P1/AGS-3.4.0-P1.zip, take acwin.exe, copy it to the game's folder and run it instead of game's exe. That won't not guarantee that the mouse will actually work, but may be worth checking out.

PS. I believe this question should be moved to AGS Tech Support section.

Gilbert

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 11/12/2016 14:09:23
Oh. I was not aware that I had mod power over the site report forum. But now I think I've moved this thread to the wrong section (this section is mainly for releases). :embarrassed: I think this thread is still marginally related here though, so CW, if you don't see it fit, feel free to move this thread again to somewhere else.

mspenguin

Windows 10 ...  All games are affected. Your workaround allowed game to load but it refused to respond to my mouse clicks. :-(  My mouse works fine everywhere else.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 11/12/2016 14:09:23
Could you tell what operating system do you use? Also, does this happen only with latest games, or any random AGS game from database? If the former, which games exactly have you tried?

Not the guaranteed workaround: the latest version of AGS allows player to continue even if mouse was not properly detected. You could try downloading the archive from here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/releases/finals/AGS-3.4.0-P1/AGS-3.4.0-P1.zip, take acwin.exe, copy it to the game's folder and run it instead of game's exe. That won't not guarantee that the mouse will actually work, but may be worth checking out.

Crimson Wizard

This may have something to do with DirectInput not working well in Windows 10. AGS still uses deprecated DirectInput interface (which is soon 10 years since it was stopped being developed by MS). Although other players seem to be able to play AGS games on Windows 10, there may be some requirements, like certain Windows update or DirectX version installed. I would investigate in this direction.

mspenguin

After running Windows Update and rebooting I can now play RON games again! Thank you!!!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: mspenguin on Tue 13/12/2016 22:50:43
After running Windows Update and rebooting I can now play RON games again! Thank you!!!
Had doubts about that myself, but I am glad that worked :).
Windows updates sometimes contain fixes for compatibility between devices and programs. Like I was rebuilding my PC few months ago, and DVD drive (a pretty old model) refused to work after fresh Windows 7 installation, until I installed most recent updates.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk