MAGS January - "Transformation" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Sun 01/01/2017 01:23:06

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the best game of MAGS JANUARY?

'Hyde and Seek' by Slasher
2 (10.5%)
'Black Morph' by Selmiak, Emont and Creamy
15 (78.9%)
'Shunday' by Mandle
2 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: Thu 16/02/2017 01:10:08

Stupot

Voting has finished and the winner is:

'Black Morph' by Selmiak, Emont and Creamy

Well done team Black Morph. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for March.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

Hyde and Seek by Slasher
Black Morph by Selmiak, Emont, Creamy
Shunday by Mandle

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

We're gonna try poll voting (not pole vaulting) this month and see how it goes. Please see the poll at the top of this page.

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: February 15th

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: Transformation
Set by Riaise.

Description: New year, new you! It is a time to make changes, although some are more dramatic than others. This month your game should focus on someone - or something - undergoing a transformation, whether a handsome prince is turned into a frog, the dowdy geek becomes a pretty prom queen, or that dusty old back room is renovated into a gamer's paradise. Change is coming, for better or for worse!

Rules: Someone or something must go through a visual/physical transformation at some point during the game.

Ending: January 31st

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Slasher

Mmmmmmmmmmm sounds very enticing....

I already have a few ideas brewing should I enter......

I hope my ideas are first up before they get pinched (laugh)

Riaise

Yay! I'm glad you're inspired by the theme, slasher. I hope you can get a game done! ;-D

Blondbraid

Sounds like a fascinating theme, though do the transformation has to be physical or can you have a protagonist that goes trough a mental transformation?

Riaise

I'd say that as long as there is some sort of visual representation, rather than just stating "this character has changed!", then it should be fine. Even just a change in facial expression should be enough. :)

Slasher

gameboy

I might transform into a game developer.

Mandle

That's absolutely beautiful gameboy!

A fixer-upper game after the apocalypse?

Kumpel

I think it's just Detroit :P

Great theme btw! I am excited to see the entries.
No time this month to do something on my own though... (roll)

Riaise

Thanks, Kumpel! I'm glad the theme is inspiring a few ideas, I'm excited to see what everyone comes up with, too. ;-D

Great idea, slasher, it sounds like it should a fun one! :-D

gameboy, that background looks amazing! I can't wait to play it! ;-D

selmiak

smells like Creamy, Emont and me have something cooking, the ingredients are very tasty, let's see what's for dinner (laugh)

Blondbraid

Seems people have some nice ideas going in this one, and gameboy's screenshot looks good, I like the clear-cut artstyle!

I have an idea of my own, and while I must admit I got this idea before this month, the sprites in this post are new,
of the same character at different points in the story, I guess you could consider this a teaser for my game idea:

"The communist party does not promote cowardice, and neither will I. As your commissar I don't care about your petty excuses about being outnumbered or surrounded or being sent into battle without ammo.
Anyone withdrawing from the line of fire is a coward and deserter and deserves exactly what's coming to them."

"W-wait now, I'm not a deserter! I'm a party commissar! Look, I got separated from my unit, and ended up behind enemy lines, ok? Alone behind enemy lines! Do you know what those guys do to commissars?! I only switched uniforms with a dead guy to come back to our lines! This is not my uniform, I'm a real commissar I swear! Oh dear god please don't do this to me, please, you have to believe me!!!"

They say the dress makes the man they say...

Slasher

You do some lovely graphics Blondbraid (nod)

Here's my in-production Teaser for 'Hyde and Seek' (laugh)

Riaise

That sounds intriguing, selmiak. I hope it all comes together!

Blondbraid, it sounds like you've got another inteeresting game lined up! And the sprites look great, as always. :)

Looking good, slasher! :-D

Slasher

Hyde and Seek is coming along nicely.

Most of the mechanics and sprites have be done though there is still quite a lot of work to be done so that should keep me busy for a week or so..

Meanwhile here is a video of the opening scene:

[embed=700,450]http://youtu.be/7ObAys5-noQ[/embed]

Blondbraid

Thanks for the kind words, Riaise and slasher!

Quote from: slasher on Sat 07/01/2017 10:12:03
Hyde and Seek is coming along nicely.

Most of the mechanics and sprites have be done though there is still quite a lot of work to be done so that should keep me busy for a week or so..

Meanwhile here is a video of the opening scene:
Sadly I can't see the video, but your previous screenshot and premise seems fun!

EDIT: OK, I've seen the video now and it seems like a fun game, I'm really curious of what outcomes there could be.

Slasher

QuoteI'm really curious of what outcomes there could be.
Well, that would depend on what you put into your body and its/their effects (laugh)

Mandle

Nice looking trailer, slasher. One slight issue for me though is that I find it a bit jarring reading the text of what the guy is saying while the singer is singing different words over the top. Is that the ingame music for this scene? Maybe it's just me but I feel an instrumental version might work better.

Slasher

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 08/01/2017 01:49:21
Nice looking trailer, slasher. One slight issue for me though is that I find it a bit jarring reading the text of what the guy is saying while the singer is singing different words over the top. Is that the ingame music for this scene? Maybe it's just me but I feel an instrumental version might work better.
The music has indeed been changed to something else (instrumental)... What is in the video was a placeholder as it were.

The game is a bit tricky doing in places, but i will persevere....Meanwhile its going to plan, well almost (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk