AGS Awards 2016 - Results!

Started by cat, Sun 01/01/2017 09:39:47

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

Welcome to the AGS Awards, the event where the you, the player, choose the best games of the year!

Step # 0 - play them games!
You have some time to play games made in 2016. Do it!
Step # 1 - nomination time!
Select games you deem worthy in each category!
Step # 2 - vote, folks!
Pick from the nominees and we get a winner!
Step # 3 - party!
Big party to celebrate the winners!

Awards are over

The full result including all nominated games can be found on the wiki page.

Best Game Created with AGS
Kathy Rain by Clifftop Games

Best Freeware Game Created with AGS
Toffee Trouble in Creamville by Miez and cat

Best Writing
Shardlight by Wadjet Eye Games

Best Puzzles

Best Character
Kathy Rain (Kathy Rain)

Best Short Game
Toffee Trouble in Creamville by Miez and cat

Best Demo
The Journey of Iesir Demo by Dream Cauldron

Best Non Adventure Game Created with AGS
Until I Have You by Dualnames

Best Gameplay

Best Background Art

Best Character Art

Best Animation

Best Programming

Best Music and Sound

Best Voice Work

Best Innovation
Gurok (for improving and extending the AGS scripting language)

Lifetime Achievement
Crimson Wizard

Party like it's 1990 in this thread!

selmiak

cat

Yay indeed :)

Several people posted their games already in the For Your Consideration thread. Go and play them!

But there were so much more games released last year. Don't forget to post your games in the FYC thread to get people play it and increase the likelihood of being nominated for an award!

cat

How are you getting along with playing all games? Are you ready for nominations yet?

Chatting about the awards is allowed (and encouraged) in this thread :)

Two Tales

Still have a couple to play. Downloading them now!

cat

Nominations will start today, this is your last chance to add your game to the For Your Consideration thread.

CaptainD

Cat, quick question - some games are released in whatever year, and sometimes only have the voiced version come out some years later.  I take it the voice work cannot be considered for an award on a standalone basis, since we go by the year of release for eligibility?  (Not a problem but I thought it was worth asking.)

cat

Yes. The eligible games are automatically determined based on the date when they were added to the database. The only option would be to create another DB entry and call it a deluxe version or something like that.

cat

Nominations are open!

Big thanks to AGA for setting up the page.

Nominations run until 17:59 GMT on Saturday 04 February 2017. You still have some time to play the eligible games before you make a decision. Don't forget to have a look at the For Your Consideration thread.

Remember to judge each game for its own merits in each category.
The categories for the awards stay the same as last year's.

Stupot

The nominations have to be done all in one go and it involves a lot of clicking through all the menus to select the titles you want.
So I made myself a little nominations manager on Google Docs. Nothing fancy, just a basic table, but it's there if anyone wants to copy it :-)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qYK1PoYAJTsNRHvwHp3lcWtCLsLUZNVNUtlr5U2a0ZM/edit?usp=sharing

cat

Cmdr

Just one question:
Is ist legit to nominate your own games?  :-D

cat

Quote from: Cmdr on Fri 20/01/2017 23:27:14
Is ist legit to nominate your own games?  :-D

Yes, it is, if you think your game deserves it based on each categories. Please just don't nominate your game in every single category, but think about where the game really stands out above other games.
Your MI game for example uses ripped graphics, so you probably wouldn't want to nominate it for the graphics awards. But what I've heard about it, it has great humour and puzzles, so you might want to nominate it for "Best Writing", "Best Puzzles", "Best Freeware Game",...

This actually applies to all games: don't go all fanboy but try to judge each game for its own merits. Try to play as many games as possible and then decide on your nominees.

Danvzare

Thanks Cmdr for asking that question, and thanks cat for answering, I've been wondering that for a while (even if I haven't released any games for years), so it's nice to finally know.
I was always too scared to ask myself for some reason. Also, like I said before, I haven't released any games for years, so there wasn't really a reason to ask just yet.

Cmdr

I also thank you for your detailed answer, cat.  :)

Actually, the idea to vote for my own games feels a bit weird.... I think you know what I maen.
But I also think that have some great fangames, not mentioned about the time I offered to create them.

Stupot

@Cmdr
You can nominate up to 10 games per category. Putting one of your own among them is fine. It's just the nomination phase so all you're doing at this point is choosing which games you'd like to se on a shortlist. I can understand if you don't feel comfortable voting for your own game (some people don't) but just nominating should be fine.

Riaise

Stupot+, that nominations document is really useful, thanks so much for sharing!

Ark

Wow, so many games were made this year and I have played like... 3 including my own. I can't vote of course, but good luck to everybody! I'll play the games of the winners. :-D 

selmiak

pffft, play as many as you can of the games you know you would vote for, screw the games you know you wouldn't vote for anyways and then some. Then be fair and resist the urge to go all fanboy when voting. resist the urge! :-D

cat

Have you already nominated your favourite games for the AGS awards? You know, that big, red announcement in the forum is there for a reason ;)
I just did it right now, even though it was hard to decide.

Nominations end at 17:59 GMT on Saturday 04 February 2017. When everything is going smoothly with the voting script, results will be announced on Sunday in a small casual IRC ceremony and of course in this thread afterwards.

Watch this space for more details!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk