selmiak

also we have some moving fog... ;-D
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/TAlKZtk.gif[/imgzoom]

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 04/02/2017 06:47:29
also we have some moving fog... ;-D
Yep. That's going to kick ass.

Now for the new iteration :

I think I included most critics. there's a significant enhancement since first version.

NickyNyce

Wow...that moving fog looks freaking awesome! Add a little more fog on the rest of the mountains near the top of the BG and I feel like I'm there.

I'm getting a much better sense of looking downward now. The new BG looks great.

Mandle

Quote from: NickyNyce on Sun 05/02/2017 00:24:14
The new BG looks great.

It does look awesome! But why is this screenie so huge?! I can't view the whole thing without having to scroll so hard to say what the overall effect is.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 05/02/2017 02:45:03
why is this screenie so huge?!

Because despite the existence of the "imgzoom" tag, 50% of the people use an incompatible browser that makes the image appear blurry. And as a pixel art artist, I don't like blur. I don't trust you and I don't trust your browser. (wrong) (this was meant as a joke but poorly phrased)

Danvzare

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Sun 05/02/2017 11:15:26
Because despite the existence of the "imgzoom" tag, 50% of the people use an incompatible browser that makes the image appear blurry. And as a pixel art artist, I don't like blur. I don't trust you and I don't trust your browser. (wrong)
I know what you mean, but did you need to make it that big?
A simple 2x nearest neighbour stretch would be enough to see it in it's fully glory, without making it so big that everyone else can't see it at all.

Plus, when you stretch it by 2x nearest neighbour, the blur of the imgzoom is barely noticeable.

Mandle

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Sun 05/02/2017 11:15:26
I don't trust you and I don't trust your browser. (wrong)

Okay, this comment begs a few obvious questions:

(1) Why then did you use "imgzoom" for every image up until this one?
(2) If you don't trust us then why are you asking us for our opinions?
(3) Or...did you mean that you just don't trust me in particular?
(4) Was this comment meant as a joke? Because it doesn't read that way to me. It reads like a slap in the face to the people (or maybe just me depending on the answer to question 4) who spent their time trying to help you when you asked for it. And if not a joke then:
(5) WTF dude?

Monsieur OUXX

Hey I thought the phrasing "I don't trust you and I don't trust your browser" (with a distrustful smiley) was brutal enough for you to understand that it was a joke. An "over the top" statement for someting as trivial as blur.  I apologize if that sentence made you confused and/or offended. ;-D Of course I trust all of you awesome people with your judgement, otherwise I wouldn't have included your suggestions along the way. :-*

cat

Then please make it smaller so people with lower resolution (like me) still can see it and can compare it easily with the previous versions (which is also smaller).

Monsieur OUXX

aThere you go.
Unless there's a major flaw in this one, I'll keep it.

[imgzoom]https://68.media.tumblr.com/d26f24bf0cd6b0712c7facc7b38598a7/tumblr_okyva74Vur1tsfksfo1_1280.png[/imgzoom]

PS: I realized that one of the issues in sizing is that my image hosting website actually embeds the image's width in the file name - so when I copy&paste the url from the bad place, I get a random result. The site actually downsizes the image depending on the url. Please forgive me if this is still too big. I'm trying to figure out how the damn thing works. too fancy for its own good.

[delete}

Chilly and spectacular as always - a real Monsieur_OUXX backdrop.  :smiley:

Will Indy have a fist fight with a Yeti here? Hopefully such wild mountain ape is drawing inspiration from my favorite BD Tintin in Tibet.

cat

Monsieur OUXX

Will Indy have a fist fight with a Yeti here? Hopefully such wild mountain ape is drawing inspiration from my favorite BD Tintin in Tibet.
Hey you know what, just yesterday I was daydreaming about the Yeti discretely appearing in a corner and watching Indy slide away during the credits. That would be so fun but I won't do it for two reasons: that would break the suspension of disbelief, and that would confuse the player and distract him from the sense of closure that he's supposed to get from this scene.

Mandle

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Mon 06/02/2017 17:06:39
Hey I thought the phrasing "I don't trust you and I don't trust your browser" (with a distrustful smiley) was brutal enough for you to understand that it was a joke. An "over the top" statement for someting as trivial as blur.  I apologize if that sentence made you confused and/or offended. ;-D Of course I trust all of you awesome people with your judgement, otherwise I wouldn't have included your suggestions along the way. :-*

Haha, okay now I feel all silly, but cheers for the explanation. Yeah, usually I would probably have gotten that it was all a hoax, but I guess last weekend I got rubbed the wrong way several times by people in RL concerning trust/reliability issues and so I had blinders on when I read your comment. I try not to let such things affect my online life but I guess this time I felt into such a trap.

No need for apologies mate, but gratefully accepted anyway! :)

Matti

The new version looks quite nice and is a GREAT improvement over the first one, good work!

Some parts seem unusually sharp and could need some AA imo:

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Fri 03/02/2017 14:44:04
PS: I'm really happy that you managed to identify what it is. So far, all the people to whom I showed it couldn't tell what it is.

I could identify it clearly too, and I think it looks quite nice.

selmiak

the ice on the bottom left looks cool (as ice is supposed to be), but what is that other dark blue area on the bottom right? I can't tell for sure if it's more ice (but not so nice as the ice on the left) or a shadow (but from what?)

Monsieur OUXX

@Matti thanks for pointing those out, I have actualy corrected them already (won't post the last version, too lazy).
@selmiak: I don't know. I can't shade. Leave me alone :~(

Also this: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=40184.msg636552850#msg636552850

Kumpel

I recognized (a) snowbank/s and I think it's very properly shaded! Your cairn is a good idea to help visualizing the perspective you are trying to achieve, but maybe you should make it more stand out to the left from the rock it's placed on. Atm it looks more like funny spots on the rock surface. And I still don't get the dark areas left and right from the village in the valley. This breaks the illusion for me. Or maybe I still don't get what I am looking at... (roll)

Mandle

Quote from: Kumpel on Tue 07/02/2017 14:22:34
I recognized (a) snowbank/s and I think it's very properly shaded!

+1

Monsieur OUXX

maybe you should make the cairn stand out more to the left from the rock it's placed on.
Well it was originally like that (watch previous verisons) but apparenlty it was too much.

I still don't get the dark areas left and right from the village in the valley.
What dark areas? ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk