mountain scene

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Wed 01/02/2017 20:06:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Kumpel

Maybe this helps you understanding my point.

I don't quiet get, what I am looking at. Is the centre the ground where some village is located? If yes, why is it surrounded by mountain sides and why are all these paths you've drawn leading to the peak in the upper middle? The way you designed this mountainside and how these geological plys of these mountains imho seem to be directed, I am thinking that I am looking into one ply, creating a typical streamlike valley. But instead you are showing me this triangle shaped area and the mountains(?) around it leading in the same direction instead of away from/into the valley (like a slope).

Or isn't this centre a valley but the end of that icey slide (like a ski jump landing area) you told us about? Then also the mountains left and right should point away.

And the cairn could be higher to help creating that illusion of a looking down perspective.

So here is what I would suggest (sorry for the over the top smearing):

Snarky

Kumpel, I'm pretty sure all those things you've marked "valley?" are actually mountain sides, and that the white thing in the center is just the snowy slope of a mountain. The lowest point in the image is then the bit that is covered up by clouds, further down that slope. I'm not sure whether there is actually a village on the slope or whether the dots are merely boulders or something. But it's probably a little unfortunate that it's so centered and symmetrically triangular, so it can be tempting to read it as continuing the perspective of the slope down. And why is it covered by snow to a lower altitude than any of the surrounding mountains? And doesn't that stream on the right jump from one peak to another?

What I would suggest to make the perspective clearer is to show a glimpse of the bottom of the valley, with some green of vegetation to make it clear that it is a lower altitude, perhaps a stream running along it. I think the lowest line of peaks on this side of the valley (i.e. right below the left area marked "valley?") could be removed, and instead offer a line of sight down to the bottom (if there's a gap in the clouds).

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 08/02/2017 07:41:57
Kumpel, I'm pretty sure all those things you've marked "valley?" are actually mountain sides, and that the white thing in the center is just the snowy slope of a mountain. The lowest point in the image is then the bit that is covered up by clouds, further down that slope. I'm not sure whether there is actually a village on the slope or whether the dots are merely boulders or something. But it's probably a little unfortunate that it's so centered and symmetrically triangular, so it can be tempting to read it as continuing the perspective of the slope down. And why is it covered by snow to a lower altitude than any of the surrounding mountains? And doesn't that stream on the right jump from one peak to another?

What I would suggest to make the perspective clearer is to show a glimpse of the bottom of the valley, with some green of vegetation to make it clear that it is a lower altitude, perhaps a stream running along it. I think the lowest line of peaks on this side of the valley (i.e. right below the left area marked "valley?") could be removed, and instead offer a line of sight down to the bottom (if there's a gap in the clouds).

Snarky got it. the dark patches on the sides are dark, well... just because they're not snowy but instead grassy.
Yes, the triangle shape and symmery are infortunate. I'll see what I can do. Your suggestins might be an issue, snarky.

Monsieur OUXX

To thank you all for your help, here is something that I wanted to keep secret, but it's going to please all the Indy lovers who are impatiently waiting  (roll)

[imgzoom]https://68.media.tumblr.com/d59ddbbfcf816b506b395780d6336646/tumblr_ol2nmaULGi1tsfksfo1_540.gif[/imgzoom]

Cassiebsg

Who's looking at mountains when you got Indy in the picture? (laugh)

Really love the snow trail... (nod) Though I has imagined he was going doooownnn.... (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

NickyNyce

The snow trail looks great. I don't really have an issue with any of what I'm seeing. If I remember correctly, Monsieur OUXX mentioned this is the end of the game, or credits/ cut scene. I think we are reading way too much into this. Indy should be the center of attention. Nothing in nature is perfect. Nature creates all kinds of illusions, odd patterns. This is just a guess, but I have a feeling Indy might come back onto the screen and slide down a bit further. (roll) 

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: NickyNyce on Wed 08/02/2017 23:55:36
this is the end of the game

Nope ;)
the end of the game will BLOW. YOUR. MIND. Guaranteed!  (nod)

Mandle

Love the sled trail in the snow also: One thing that I think could sell it even more is a 4-5 frame animated impact spray of snow where he first lands, ending in a bit more scattered snow chunks lying around that area, but not vital...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk