24 Hours of AGS - Theme: Hide! (Winners Announced)

Started by Gurok, Thu 23/02/2017 14:39:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Creamy

Played all, enjoyed all.

- Best art : Smooth hide by Cassie
Spoiler
I couldn't make such beautiful 3D graphics in one month so it's impressive to see them done in one day. If it weren't for the useless items and nonsensical puzzle, I couldn't tell this was created in 24h.
[close]
- Best gameplay : Like a fox by Jack
Spoiler
Kudos on this one! It's long*, fun and plays smoothly. The stun system is a nice touch. It's well-balanced â€" except for the last guard. I like that they speed up when they spot you.
[close]
- Best overall : Where be dragons by Gurok
Spoiler
It  was hilarious, long* and felt complete. Stunning job on the staging (close-ups).
[close]
Easter Island Defender by Mandle
Spoiler
A simple game. It looks nice and plays well. Not much to say.
[close]
cyberJACK by brewton
Spoiler
Neat art, good vibes. I didn't really get the story and the puzzle with the wires though (despite the clues in the yellow book).
[close]
Lydia by Dualnames
Spoiler
The interaction system is interesting. An intriguing atmosphere (alarm clock, color change).
[close]
*considering the 24h deadline.

Bravo to all the participants  (nod)

Mandle

Hehehe, don't worry Creamy... I wasn't offended by your original comment: It was true! (laugh)

I was mostly going for the look and atmosphere of the game and you praised those aspects so I'm quite happy!

I know the gameplay is repetitive... I playtested it many times myself! ;)

brewton

Creamy, that's because I spent too much time on making the game art. I'm not very fast.
Spoiler
I put the wire puzzle in because I had 1h left and I couldn't figure out how to get him into the sewer. I had a very different idea of how I wanted the game to go, but had to scrap it all for time, unfortunately.
[close]

I might work on the game in the next few weeks and make it all work the way I wanted it to.

Riaise

Right, I've amended my previous votes to include Best Overall game. :)

Gurok

Easter Island Defender by Mandle:
Spoiler
This game had a really well-detailed island setting. It was very challenging! Especially with the pathfinding. I liked the spaceship itself and the sound effects too. Nice job!
[close]

Like a Fox by Jack:
Spoiler
Some fantastic design work here. I really like the choice of a stun over death -- it made things much more forgiving. Introduction of new elements was handled really well too. I liked the way the first floor was very simple and things got more complicated from there. It was paced very well. Very clean graphics and a design approach that impressed me greatly.
[close]

Smooth Hide by Cassiebsg:
Spoiler
The worlds of Cassie's games are always so calm and peaceful. This isn't a bad thing! It was the most relaxing break and enter I've ever attempted. I might be alone, but it was also the game I felt most strongly encompassed the theme. The convoluted hiding places for things were great and the animations were charming. Great job!
[close]

Lydia by Dualnames:
Spoiler
Certainly very dark and moody. I think this game did a very good job of being emotive, creating some tension between the characters and had some great graphics. I was happy when I discovered the reality-shifting mechanic in the first room (as expected). Good job on a game where things were easily discoverable and some unique ideas for presentation. Excellent!
[close]

CyberJACK by brewton:
Spoiler
Some pretty cool cameos and interesting gameplay! I liked that everything was so well implemented, I could go back at the end and play an unofficial FREE PLAY mode! Great fun, some nicely balanced puzzles, neat graphics and good use of screen space. A very nicely polished experience for the time limit.
[close]

Best art: Lydia by Dualnames
Best gameplay: Like a Fox by Jack
Best overall: Smooth Hide by Cassiebsg

I'm going to leave voting open for 1-2 more days. I've been contacted by a few stragglers who are yet to cast their votes. There won't be any trophies (sorry). I haven't had time :(
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

CaesarCub

Quote from: Gurok on Sun 05/03/2017 07:58:07
There won't be any trophies (sorry). I haven't had time :([/size]

Maybe the trophies are hidden!  :-D

brewton

Sorry for being late to vote. Sorry, sorry, sorry.

Jack:
Spoiler

As simple as the idea is, I bet it was a hassle to get working. :)  It would have been neat if the guards had included the areas past the doors in their patrol cycle, as some of them (especially on the second level) didn't leave much time to jump from space to space or reach the portal in time to avoid being stunned. I really enjoyed this little game, so it wins BEST GAMEPLAY.
[close]

Mandle:
Spoiler

The first time I started the game, I was expecting a cutscene. Then, the UFO appeared and abducted me, and the text "GAME OVER" appeared. I burst out laughing because it told me exactly what I had to do. I love the little details in the audio, like the UFO getting louder as it gets closer. I never made it to the end, I thought it was limitless. Perhaps a fun extra mode would be a time trial, or an endless mode which adds extra UFOS. Your art is great, too.
[close]

Dualnames:
Spoiler

I love the artstyle you chose here, it feels very hopeless and bleak. Lydia presented me with a lot of questions once it had ended, and the unconventional perception shift feature provided a new and interesting means of problem solving.
[close]
CassieBSG:
Spoiler
Cool little game! I wasn't too sure what to do at first, but I got through it! Very wholesome. You've got a very unique style, and it shows through!
[close]
Gurok:
Spoiler
This game just made me laugh and laugh. The slick animated introduction sequence combined with the hastily drawn art was a great combination. I did find myself having to restart the game a few times, particularly when going into buildings. Apart from that, it is a very rewarding game.
[close]

BEST ART: Lydia by Dualnames
BEST GAMEPLAY: Like a Fox by Jack
BEST OVERALL: Lydia by Dualnames

Radiant

Aww, I didn't notice this contest :(

Well, congrats to all who participated, and I hope we do it again some time!

CatPunter

Finally done!

The 24 hour game I did got extended into a week long project, then sat for another 2 days while I dealt with real life issues. It's not being entered for voting (obviously) but it's something nifty you can waste some time clicking around in.

Definitely got me hankering to do a longer version eventually!

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2136/

edit - Thanks for pointing out the link was broken guys!
Art Director and Lead Artist for "Kate and Shelly Stick Together"

Danvzare

I think your entry came in a bit late CatPunter. (laugh)

I can't wait to play it. Although maybe it's just the computer I'm using, but your link doesn't work.

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Jack

Okay, finally played them all. Here are my votes, if you can find them:

Best art:
Spoiler
CyberJACK by brewton
Spoiler
This was cool. Wish you had more time to make more screens like this. I liked the rhyming puzzle.
[close]
[close]

Best gameplay:
Spoiler
Lydia by Dualnames
Spoiler
Good ambiance, and a unique mechanic. The multiple endings were a nice touch.
[close]
[close]

Best overall:
Spoiler
Where be Dragons by Gurk
Spoiler
Commercial quality humour in a condensed form.

"Put it back!"
[close]
[close]

Gurok

That's a wrap. Thank you to everyone who participated.

Radiant: We will certainly be doing this again at some point.

You should all check out CatPunter's game. I played through it and it's a very polished game.

Okay, results!!

Best Art: Tie between Smooth Hide by Cassiebsg and CyberJACK by brewton
Best Gameplay: Like a Fox! by Jack
Best Overall: Where Be Dragons by Gurok

Congratulations to all the winners! I'll see you all again for the next 24 hour marathon.

Full vote tally:
Spoiler
Best art:
4 Smooth Hide by Cassiebsg
4 CyberJACK by brewton
2 Lydia by Dualnames

Best gameplay:
6 Like a Fox! by Jack
2 Where Be Dragons? by Gurok
2 Lydia by Dualnames

Best overall:
5.5 Where Be Dragons? by Gurok
2.5 Lydia by Dualnames
2 Smooth Hide by Cassiebsg
[close]

Mandle

Congratz to the winners and thanks to Gurok for this insane but amazing event. I can't wait for the next one, whether I join or not.

Kumpel

I am still working on my way too ambitious entry too... (laugh) Guess, it's becoming a 24 days (or weeks...) of AGS entry :P

Congrats to you guys, who actually did it in time...

brewton

Quote from: Gurok on Tue 07/03/2017 23:20:46

So now Cassiebsg and I have to fight to the death, right?

Gurok

Quote from: brewton on Wed 08/03/2017 04:13:50
Quote from: Gurok on Tue 07/03/2017 23:20:46

So now Cassiebsg and I have to fight to the death, right?

Hmmm

Perhaps an hour-game sudden death tournament or something.

Nahhh, you're both very deserving of the award, and I wouldn't separate you, regardless of how gruesome and cool it might be to do so.

Riaise

Congratulations to all the winners! And well done to all of the participants, you all did a fantastic job to get as much done as you all did! ;-D

Danvzare

Yeah, a big congratulations to the winner.
And a big thank you to Gurok for hosting this brand new competition. I hope to see it again next month. ;)

Cassiebsg

Congrats all and thanks bunch for your votes. (nod)

Love my non-existing shared Art trophy with brewton! :-D(laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk