Discussing the Genre Shift MAGS, for sake of hindsight

Started by DBoyWheeler, Tue 14/02/2017 19:43:05

Previous topic - Next topic

DBoyWheeler

The saying of "Hindsight is 20/20"...

Well, thinking back on the "Genre Shift" MAGS contest... for sake of hindsight, I figured that "Phantasmagoria" or "Gabriel Knight" would've been great (in the "genre shift") as Castlevania clones.  What do you think?

Also, if you have some "hindsight" ideas of what could've been put in the Genre Shift back then, feel free to share what they could've been here.

Danvzare

I think Dragon Quest would have done brilliantly as a Minecraft clone.
Hold on... wait... I think that's already been done. (laugh)

Retro Wolf

How about Elite that plays like a point and click adventure! When you land on a planet or space station the game randomly generates an explorable level. You can also walk around your ship. You see the cockpit from a first person view, but you operate the ship by pressing buttons and twiddling knobs on the dashboard.

Mandle

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Wed 15/02/2017 18:24:41
How about Elite that plays like a point and click adventure! When you land on a planet or space station the game randomly generates an explorable level. You can also walk around your ship. You see the cockpit from a first person view, but you operate the ship by pressing buttons and twiddling knobs on the dashboard.

I believe there is already an AGS game much like what you describe here. "A Universe Of Fabulous Wonderment" or something like that. It's in the list of AGS Award nominated/winning games.

Gurok

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Tue 14/02/2017 19:43:05Well, thinking back on the "Genre Shift" MAGS contest... for sake of hindsight, I figured that "Phantasmagoria" or "Gabriel Knight" would've been great (in the "genre shift") as Castlevania clones.  What do you think?

It sounds like you were quite inspired by the MAGS theme. You don't need a MAGS as an excuse to make something if you have a great idea. Just take the leap and start making it!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Danvzare

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 15/02/2017 22:43:11
I believe there is already an AGS game much like what you describe here. "A Universe Of Fabulous Wonderment" or something like that. It's in the list of AGS Award nominated/winning games.
I think the game you're talking about is actually called "Adventures in the Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment" which is pretty close to what you thought it was. :-D

Mandle

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 16/02/2017 12:24:09
Quote from: Mandle on Wed 15/02/2017 22:43:11
I think the game you're talking about is actually called "Adventures in the Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment" which is pretty close to what you thought it was. :-D

Yup! That's the one!

And it's pretty much Elite as a click and point game.

Retro Wolf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk