24 Hours of AGS - Theme: Hide! (Winners Announced)

Started by Gurok, Thu 23/02/2017 14:39:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

At Mandle:
Spoiler

Yes... Since I did the character more or less the same way I did the ones for Out of Gas, they have the same feel.  Not intentional, just me still sucking at making characters from scratch. (laugh)

You were suppose to be able to read it, yes... but I run out of time. You'll notice you can also pickup some "useless" items... ;)
There was suppose to be a puzzle to get the bird to show up... but decided it was better to be able to end the game, than be halfway, so I cut the middle.
If I work on it more, I'll add it. After all, I had the trouble to make inventory items that aren't even available. (roll)

EDIT: You stuck? 8-0
[close]

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stupot

Played three games so far (doing them alphabetically). Have to call it a night but here are some mini-reviews with more to come tomorrow:

CyberJack by Brewton
Spoiler
Very funny little game with some touches of brilliance. I loved the little pixel Vincent and Jules but it was over in a flash and I wished all the wires could have been cut.
[close]
Easter Island Defender by Mandle
Spoiler
This game was super easy (after using my first go to get what was going on, I completed it on the second go) but it was still quite tense and good fun. I nodded to myself in satisfaction when I reached the goal. Would definitely play a bigger game of this with increasing levels of difficulty
[close]
Like a Fox by Jack
Spoiler
Good old-fashioned stealth game with teleports. I was extremely thankful for the fact that you can't die, only get stunned. Is it actually possible to finish with getting stunned? That last stretch to the door on the second screen was basically impossible. Fun stuff though.
[close]
Lydia by Dualnames
Spoiler
I love the visuals and the atmosphere and the interesting UI. I can't get all four items though.
Correct me if I've missed something, but is there a bug preventing this?
Spoiler
There seems to be something in the code connecting the hammer and the item behind the refrigeration unit. If I get the hammer first, then the item behind the unit becomes uncollectable, like the hotspot has been turned off. And if I get the object first, the hammer becomes uncollectable (she says there is nothing else to get from the panel, even though I haven't picked up the hammer yet.) Has anyone actually managed to get all four items? I'd like to know what order you did the actions).
[close]
Despite that, awesome game for 7 hours of work.
[close]
Smooth Hide by Cassiebsg
Spoiler
What a charming little game from Cassie, as we've come to expect from. The puzzles are pretty straightforward but enjoyable nevertheless. Of the six games, these feels like the most complete package (just a few walk-behind glitches when the dude goes up the crates).
[close]
Where Be Dragons? by Gurok
Spoiler
Nice proper adventure game with a great ending and some good jokes. I loved the old guy pissing himself and also I liked how the Meat, Bread & Candle shop served as a way to save time, not only for their customers but also for Gurok :-D
[close]

Lovely bunch of games. Here are my winners:
Best Art: Smooth Hide by Cassiebsg
Best gameplay: Where Be Dragons? by Gurok

Mandle

@Cassie... sweet I'll give it another go after playing a few more entries...

@Gurok... I'll download again and retry soon...

@Stupot... Yeah, my game is way too easy, but I didn't have time to balance the difficulty or include a EASY/MEDIUM/HARD option... Then again: My wife couldn't beat it so maybe we're just too good at games, eh? It was hilarious watching her try to run away and get yoinked back by the aliens, though... The effect of the diagonal yoink-back was unintentional, but it just looked so funny I had to leave it in. (laugh)

Oh, by the way, everyone. Remember when I said the theme fit some gameplay I had been thinking of doing? The original gameplay I wanted to do was a procedurally-generated maze game, and I had the workings of it planned out in my head. But, I watched TV just before the contest opened and it was that stupid Ancient Aliens show with an episode about Easter Island. So then I saw the theme "HIDE!" and the first thing that popped into my head was an Easter Island native hiding from aliens behind the big stone heads. Kind of an ancient-world version of the classic game "Defender". So, that's what my game turned into. Thank god I hadn't been watching the news or the game could have just been Trump hiding from the press...

Anyone else want to share their inspirations for their game?

Gurok

I started with the play-on-words interpretation of "hide", then tried to cram in as many hide references as possible.

I didn't really have any inspiration other than, well, I wanted it to exist in a world where tanneries existed. Tony Robinson's the Worst Jobs in History might have provided some background info for tanneries :D. Ummm... and then, I think I was sort of channelling Candide, but it's hard to say.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Cassiebsg

Actually, I kind of got lost in the theme, by the end.
The character was suppose to hide from smugglers, while searching from some hidden stuff (proof of smuggling?)... but the game went another direction, and I guess only 3 items are currently "hiding"... (roll)

Dualnames

The game says "the end" and then it quits, so no, no crash.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Mandle

Quote from: Dualnames on Sun 26/02/2017 14:00:31
The game says "the end" and then it quits, so no, no crash.

Hmmmmm... it crashed for me twice... But AGS games do that sometimes for me when they close... Is the scene I mentioned the end of the game?

EDIT: I have now played and finished all the other games and updated my notes on the previous page. I will have to think hard on the voting. Two games really stand out for me as candidates for best gameplay. And all stand out for best art in their own ways...

Gonna be some tough choices...

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Riaise

Spoiler
Good gameplay, and a fun concept. The graphics work well and the sounds are good, too. I was glad to reach the safety of the cave in the end!
[close]

Like a Fox! by Jack
Spoiler

I don't usually like stealth games, but this one was good. It seemed just about the right difficulty, and it definitely helped that you were only stunned when caught! Nice clean graphics, too.
[close]

Where Be Dragons?
by Gurok

Spoiler
Lovely game! The story is nice and the ending is not what I was expecting! The use of inventory items was really well thought out, too. Great work!
[close]

Smooth Hide by Cassiebsg

Spoiler
I like the graphics, they make the whole game feel friendly. The puzzles were nicely integrated, and the whole thing was fun to play. Well done!
[close]

Lydia by Dualnames

Spoiler
I haven't finished this one yet. I'm having the same problem as Mandle, the game just crashes to desktop after the spectre appears and tells Lydia that she must trade her life. No "the end". Up until that point the game is really great, though! The atmosphere is dark and mysterious and the gameplay mechanic is really interesting.
[close]

cyberJACK by brewton

Spoiler
Really nice graphics and animations. It's a shame there wasn't a tiny bit more gameplay, but there are hints of a very good little game here. Good work!
[close]

I will have a think and cast my votes soon. :)

Ponch

Well, I'm out. I got way to ambitious with my game. I've got art assets and a nice room, but the quick-time code just doesn't work. :sad:

Anyhoo, congrats to everyone who did manage to finish. :cheesy:

Dualnames

Actually you guys are right, let me fix.

EDIT: Alright properly fixed now, link remains the same. It ain't much still, but this took 7 hours and i spent a lot of it on drawing properly (best i could do at least)

Danvzare

Alright, I've played all of the games.
Some definitely good entries, and pretty much anything I could say about them has already been said. So I'll refrain from any mini-reviews.

Best art: Smooth Hide by Cassiebsg (While there were some really good art in these games, I found this one to be the most unique and eye catching.)
Best gameplay: Lydia by Dualnames (I liked the concept here, and I'd love to see this expanded into a full game.)

Jack

Congratulations to everyone! Making a game in 24 hours sounds way easier than it is. I'll play everyone's games when I'm well rested.

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 26/02/2017 12:51:35
Have you, yourself, managed a perfect run of your own game?

No, unless you count when I disabled their weapons to do the final tests.

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sun 26/02/2017 13:18:14
Is it actually possible to finish with getting stunned? That last stretch to the door on the second screen was basically impossible.

Anything is possible I suppose, but probably not. Especially in the second level where you don't know where the teleporters go. I was planning to make a section of a later level where you could only pass by getting stunned (which come to think of it wouldn't really be that hard).

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 26/02/2017 13:21:18
Anyone else want to share their inspirations for their game?

From the start I had a platformer like Duke Nukem in mind, though I wanted to make one where you fight with fists and blades rather than guns.

Cassiebsg

Spoiler

Took me a few secs to figure out what to do, and several painful minutes to figure out what to do next... Was fun to avoid being caught, but seemed to be a bit too easy to get to the end.
Spoiler:
Spoiler

Unless I missed something, hiding on the far back statue always successfully hides the character from the aliens. I was expecting to have to "run" around the statues to avoid them. Maybe adding a shadow to the ship, so one can see which path they are using, and then make the ship run in all 3 paths (back, middle and front)... Leave this one as "easy" setting, if you decide to do something more to it. ;)
[close]
[close]

Like a Fox! by Jack
Spoiler

Love it! Great simple graphics, and nice mechanics. Needs to clean up a few glitches (like the hiding eyes baseline, that is in front of the guards). Really love the "Stunned!" instead of "start over". (nod) Maybe use that as "easy setting", remove the stunned for a middle difficulty - with start at each level, and hard core with instant death... I can see my self playing this one again, since I haven't reached the end yet. ;)
[close]

Where Be Dragons? by Gurok
Spoiler

Awesome! Love the quick drawings, too! If nothing else they added to the comedy of the game. (laugh)
And just loved the ending, very unexpected! I had a very Sierra feeling on this one... and only missed the score 10/100 thing. (roll)
[close]

Lydia by Dualnames
Spoiler

Wow! What a great concept and interface! Like many I was "WTF am I doing? What is happening?"... after playing it a few times (one with the bug, and 4 more times to find the extra endings) Think I got the idea about the story. Still not sure what the blue/red represent though. Does she has some kind of hidden power?
[close]

cyberJACK by brewton
Spoiler

My first test run, love the graphics and the story. Shame you never managed to polish it a bit more. Also I didn't even noticed that I had gotten the book... so I apparently choose right at 2nd try... ;) OH, and just love the sound effects! Very ST:TOS of you! (nod)
[close]

Again, this part is so hard, since they are all good on their own... :-\

Best art: I'll have to go with cyberJACK by brewton, as I really love the clean/retro graphics on this one. Lydia by Dualnames is an extremely close second.
Best gameplay: Like a Fox! by Jack. Was really fun to click and hide! (Why not Lydia?
Spoiler
Actually, I didn't like the way to interact with the hotspots. Made "noise" in the BG, there was only one option to choose from, and one of the hotspots had it's name out of the screen (the one to move) even though the hotspot was right there.)
[close]

My favorite game is though: Where Be Dragons? by Gurok, that made me laugh all the way through and had a very solid story telling. (nod)

Nice job everyone! (nod)

Twirlly

I couldn't stack my lack of sleep on top of more lack of sleep too long before passing out. Only got my crappy art done, which is what absorbs most of my time attempting to make games anyway.

Kudos to the six great entries made within those 24 hours! I enjoyed something about all of them while playing.

Best Art: cyberJACK by brewton
Best Gameplay: Where Be Dragons? by Gurok
Best Overall: Lydia by Dualnames

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

brewton

I'm still collecting my thoughts on the entries. Thanks for your votes, Cassie and Twirlly! :)

Stupot

I've posted my minireviews of the last three games in my previous post above, along with my winners.

Mandle

Best Art: "Smooth Hide" by Cassiebsg
Best Gameplay: "Like A Fox" by Jack

It seems a bit weird to not have a "Best Game" category though...

"Best Gameplay" means something different to the game you liked the best, as I believe Cassie pointed out above:

Best Gameplay implies to vote for what you felt was the game with the most involving game mechanics for you as the player. For me that was "Like A Fox" as I felt the gameplay was deep and involving.

But if there was a Best Game category I would have voted for "Where Be Dragons?" because, despite having a very typical AGS style gameplay that wouldn't win any awards for depth or originality, it was the game that I had the most fun playing.

Maybe implement a "Favorite Game Overall" category for this round or the next?

Riaise

@Stupot+: About Lydia -
Spoiler
I got all four. I picked up the hammer first and used it on the pipe before moving the unit. I can't remember if I picked up the one in the sheet first or second, but I'm pretty sure it was after I'd got the hammer, and I picked up the one in the cupboard last.
[close]

Here are my votes -

Best Art: cyberJACK by brewton
Best Gameplay: Like a Fox! by Jack
Best Overall Game: Where Be Dragons? by Gurok

Gurok

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 27/02/2017 12:58:48
Maybe implement a "Favorite Game Overall" category for this round or the next?

If you like, you can vote for Best Overall as well. I will count those votes and combine votes if the overall category isn't listed. (i.e. Votes with an overall category give 1 vote for the overall winner. Votes with no overall category give 1/2 a vote from the art vote and 1/2 a vote from the gameplay, which was the plan all along. There will still be winners in the separate art and gameplay categories.) I'll add it to the initial post as an optional category.

I'm counting the overall category in Mandle's and Cassie's votes, so you two don't have to change anything.

Everyone else can revise their votes and add a "best overall" if they want, but it's completely optional.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk