Custom WinSetup

Started by GoodGuy, Sun 26/02/2017 05:36:28

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodGuy

Hi, guys.
I want to make a game with 320x180 resolution (aspect ratio 16x9), but Winsetup has resolution 320x200 (default) and full-screen game with this resolution is blurred and with black left and black right lines. It is bad effect for inexperienced users (gamers). I would like to fix it, i.e. I would like to remove this resolution and resolutions with with the aspect ratio 4x3, I would like to leave only screen resolution in full-screen mode. I was reading a lot of posts in forum about this problem and I understood that it is not possible.
I read that I can change Acsetup.cfg, but directory with this file is different in different OS (XP,7) and depends on general setting "Save Game Folder". I do not know how to find this directory, if I'll write own winsetup.
But can I change winsetup?

Sorry for my bad English.

Crimson Wizard

There are two questions here,
1) how to prepare default configuration for your players;
2) is it possible to remove certain resolutions from setup.

1)

When you prepare your game for distribution, you may have acsetup.cfg file with it, which would be used as "default" config.

In the past I changed the way winsetup loads and saves config, and there is this problem that when you setup your game using winsetup (when built from the editor), the changes appear not in Compiled folder, but in following path: "%USERPOFILE%/Saved Games/<YOUR GAME NAME>". This makes it more difficult to send default config to your players. This is a serious oversight on my part, and I am planning to fix it in following version.

But there is of course a solution, it is easy, problem is only in not forgetting to do this when you release your game.
Simply go to your config location ("%USERPOFILE%/Saved Games/<YOUR GAME NAME>"), and copy acsetup.cfg from there into your Compiled folder.

Alternatively, you may edit acsetup.cfg in Compiled folder yourself, in notepad application. Instructions are here: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/blob/release-3.4.0/OPTIONS.md

2)

Regarding resolution selection, that is impossible to disable particular ratios, and it should be like that. You need to understand that other players will have different monitors, and some of these monitors may be 4:3 even. If you remove 4:3 ratio, these people will not be able to play game in a way comfortable for them.

For that reason I strongly suggest to NOT set 320x180 (or 320x200, or any explicit one) display resolution as default in config, but instead remove the screen resolution option from setup whatsoever, because in that case setup will choose current monitor resolution for the players.
To do this, open acsetup.cfg in Compiled folder and change "screen_def" option to "max".

GoodGuy

Thanks for tips. It is useful info for me ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk