MAGS March "Size Matters" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Wed 01/03/2017 00:00:51

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game for MAGS March?

The Snaplock by Blondbraid
4 (40%)
The Smallest Points by Mandle
6 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: Mon 17/04/2017 01:25:22

Stupot

Voting has finished and the winner is:

Well done Mandle. Victory is yours! You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for May.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

The Snaplock by Blondbraid

Click on the game title to download.

Topic: Size Matters
This month's guidelines were set by Selmiak, Emont and Creamy.

Size matters. And where it gets interesting is the difference in size.

So the theme for this months MAGS is:
Have the difference in size be a key element in the game.

No matter if in story or gameplay. From uneven twins to people looking in telescopes and microscopes and discovering or entering different sized worlds, the huge oppressive government against the small group of rebels that also grows in size or just the usual tiny aliens conquering a huge plant, everything goes.

Ending:  March 31st

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Mandle

Ohhhhhh, a nice theme with so many possibilities... Tempting...

DBoyWheeler

This gives me the vibes of the Giant World in Super Mario 3.

Ponch

Finally! A chance to make that hentai game I've always wanted to make! :=

Mandle

Quote from: Ponch on Wed 01/03/2017 02:17:15

I'd buy that for a dollar!

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Ponch on Wed 01/03/2017 02:17:15
Naughty Ponch!  Tsk tsk!  (laugh)

Mandle

I'm in for this MAGS with a rather simple idea at the moment... but we will see where it leads...

It's a game about how the smallest points in a story can have a big impact on its meaning...

Riaise

That sounds like it could be really good, Mandle!

Mandle

Quote from: Riaise on Sat 04/03/2017 14:00:02
That sounds like it could be really good, Mandle!

Much work has been done today on my entry...

Erm... That didn't sound quite as dodgey while I was typing it...

Riaise

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 04/03/2017 14:52:42
Erm... That didn't sound quite as dodgey while I was typing it...

(laugh)

Mandle

I've done quite a bit on the game today and it's kinda coming together, despite being bugged, but in an informative way...

Erm... Is anyone else entering this round?

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 08/03/2017 13:51:10
I've done quite a bit on the game today and it's kinda coming together, despite being bugged, but in an informative way...

Erm... Is anyone else entering this round?
Well, I've had this idea of a game where the climax is a young, scrawny resistance fighter armed with only an old musket is chased
by a large and heavily armored soldier across a snowy landscape
Spoiler
until the resistance fighter is caught running across a frozen lake, with no choice but to surrender. He throws away his gun to the soldier, only to send him crashing through the ice due to the extra weight...
[close]
I have been toying with the idea of making a game about Snapphanar.

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 08/03/2017 16:18:12
Well, I've had this idea of a game where the climax is a young, scrawny resistance fighter armed with only an old musket is chased
by a large and heavily armored soldier across a snowy landscape
Spoiler
until the resistance fighter is caught running across a frozen lake, with no choice but to surrender. He throws away his gun to the soldier, only to send him crashing through the ice due to the extra weight...
[close]
Sounds similar to a story relating to my grandfather. No joke.
You should make it! (nod)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 09/03/2017 11:20:27
Sounds similar to a story relating to my grandfather. No joke.
You should make it! (nod)
Really? Now I'm curious about your grandfather's story.  8-0

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 09/03/2017 11:31:01
Really? Now I'm curious about your grandfather's story.  8-0
Well you asked, so I'll give you the gist of it.

Polish aristocrat who went to war in WW2.
He got caught several times, going to prisoner of war camps, and escaped every time, but also got caught every time. The first time he was caught was because he followed a train line, and the second time was because someone ratted him out.
The last concentration camp he went to was Siberia I think. He waited until the lake was just about to melt, and he made a run for it. Because he was a thin and lanky guy (and malnourished) and the ice was really thin, the soldiers couldn't chase him. Because just as soon as they started chasing after him, the ice began to break around them.
The reason he was able to make a run for it so easily, is because no one thought anyone would be dumb enough to ever try it, and as such the place wasn't as heavily guarded as the other camps he had been to.
He then fought in the war some more, went to Britain, got married and had kids, and then died several years later from tuberculosis.

Now I think I've derailed this thread enough. (laugh)

Blondbraid

Wow, that's an amazing story, Danvzare.
Have you thought about making a game about your grandfather?

Actually, I toyed with which setting to set my idea in, and at first I thought about having it set in
WW2, but then both my latest two games i worked on as well as the current one I'm making is
set in that period so I thought about having the story take place in a different time period for a change.

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 09/03/2017 12:31:04
Wow, that's an amazing story, Danvzare.
Have you thought about making a game about your grandfather?
Not really, probably because my forte is more comical adventures. It would definitely make an awesome game though.
Who knows, maybe I might make it into a game one day. :)

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 09/03/2017 12:31:04
Actually, I toyed with which setting to set my idea in, and at first I thought about having it set in
WW2, but then both my latest two games i worked on as well as the current one I'm making is
set in that period so I thought about having the story take place in a different time period for a change.
Ah, that makes sense. Great idea.
I hope you finish it, because I can't wait to see it. :-D

Stupot

Halfway there. How are the games coming along?

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 15/03/2017 00:25:02

Mine is pretty much done, except for a lot of slog-work I don't have time for just now. But it will be finished probably next week or so, and then maybe I'll release it or maybe polish it up until the deadline...

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 15/03/2017 03:13:08
Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 15/03/2017 00:25:02

Mine is pretty much done, except for a lot of slog-work I don't have time for just now. But it will be finished probably next week or so, and then maybe I'll release it or maybe polish it up until the deadline...
I was just planning on getting started today...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk