Trouble with video in AGS appearing in grayscale

Started by Fedx, Sat 04/03/2017 22:18:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Fedx

Hello! First I apologise for my bad english. We made an intro for our game, and we run into this problem:

As you can see, the original video is not centered, and a grayscale copy is playing in the background. We originally made it in After Effects and exported as an AVI in 640x480, and then used a converter to make it OGV. Our games is set to 640x480 resolution and 32bit colour. Has anyone run into this trouble? Thanks in advance!
- The gamer doesn't dies... he respawns -

Grok

I have at times had problems with converting avi:s to ogv, similar to the problem you are having. Not quit the same, but similar.

I think that the problem in my case has been in the first rendering of the avi-file. Re-saving the avi-file, generally have solved the problem for me.

In my case the problem show up before I put the ogv-file into the AGS-project. I have never had a problem of this sort, that has shown up only in the AGS-project. So, in my case it has not been an AGS-related problem.

From your description of your problem I am not clear on if your problem show up only in the AGS-project, or if the problem shows up at the conversion to ogv.

selmiak

have you tried rendering H264 video instead of avi. use a bitrate of 8mb/s - 10mb/s and convert this to ogv.
you might have to install quicktime for this, AE might need this, but it could work...

Fedx

Quote from: Grok on Sun 05/03/2017 14:54:32
From your description of your problem I am not clear on if your problem show up only in the AGS-project, or if the problem shows up at the conversion to ogv.

Whoops, I forgot, the AVI export and the OGV conversion were just fine, I can watch it on VLC and MPC-HC without trouble. The problem is when AGS tries to run the video.

Quote from: selmiak on Sun 05/03/2017 19:26:49
have you tried rendering H264 video instead of avi. use a bitrate of 8mb/s - 10mb/s and convert this to ogv.
you might have to install quicktime for this, AE might need this, but it could work...

I was thinking that maybe I did something wrong when exporting the project, now I'll try that bitrate. That would be the perfect settings for exporting it right? Thanks a lot!
- The gamer doesn't dies... he respawns -

selmiak

hmmm, 8mb/s is good for HD video in 1920x1080, your bitrate depends on the output, if you're going for 320x240 using 2mb/s should be good enough. Just compare the results with a low and a high bitrate. Just make it higher than you need it, you can play with the end filesize when setting the bitrate for the ogv video. as you convert your output from AE video again to another codec using a higher bitrate before is better and leads to less information loss over the (at least) 2 passes.

H264 with MP4 as multiplexer gives me better results than whatever codec I multiplex into avi. That should carry through to ogg video.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk