The "Black Stories" crime riddles thread

Started by Kumpel, Mon 13/03/2017 23:07:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Kumpel

Did someone cheat on his/her wife/husband?
Did they use a somehow malfunctioning condom/contraceptive method?

Snarky

Case #31

The criminals thought they had gotten away with it, but when undeniable evidence was discovered, they faced execution or a lifetime sentence.

Yes
Were the criminals human?
Is the number of criminals relevant?
Was the "undeniable evidence" a child?
Is there crime resulting in pregnancy?
Was there 2 people involved?
Is the term "execution" referring to the criminals being literally killed?
Was some forbidden love involved?
Were the 2 human criminals male and female?
Were their genitals involved?
Do the 2 adults live in a country where having a child out of wedlock is a crime?
Is the religion of the couple relevant to this case in any way?
Was the crime unprotected sex?
Are the couple Christian?
Was the undeniable evidence a pregnancy test? [The pregnancy itself was the evidence, once it became obvious]
Are both parents sentenced?

No
Were the criminals war criminals?
Were the criminals terrorists?
Did the criminals face their punishment at least 10 years after their crime?
Is this case based on a real crime? [Not specifically, no, though there have been similar cases]
Was the crime a theft?
Did the crime involve murder?
Was there more than 3?
Was the crime a federal case?
Is the lifetime sentence involve them dealing with the child?
Is the term "lifetime sentence" referring to being in a literal prison for the rest of their lives?
Is holding the child hostage involved?
Are the 2 adults Chinese and living under the "one-child" law, but conceive a second child and try to keep it in secret?
Does the life sentence refer to enforced sterilisation perhaps?
Is the punishment a metaphor for a shotgun marriage? (A threat of "marry or die")
Is the "execution" death by stoning? [I hadn't actually considered the method of execution, but this doesn't sound likely; I've settled on something else, but it's not a major point]
Is the "execution" a (so-called) "honor-killing"? [Not as you probably mean it, no]
Is the "life-sentence" being forced to marry?
Is this Romeo and Juliet?
Is the "life-sentence" wearing the letter "A" on the woman's clothing?
Is the child (I believe there was a child?) called Pearl?
Was it a Muslim couple?
Does "execution" mean "abortion"?
Are the couple Jewish?
Does the couple have Ashkenazi diseases?
Is the lifetime sentence going to Hell in the afterlife?
Is the lifetime sentence excommunication from the church?
Is the lifetime sentence banishment from the community? [This is perhaps arguable...]
Does "Lifetime" refer to the child's lifetime?
Is the child the one sentenced?
Are they shakers?
Does the lifetime sentence refer to the child being termed a "bastard" for their whole life?
Was one of them (or both) married to someone else when he / she (they) decided to commit the 'crime'? [Not in the variation I had in mind]
Also, are we talking about the Victorian era here?
Were the parents slaves?
Was this an incestuous relationship?
Did someone cheat on his/her wife/husband?
Did they use a somehow malfunctioning condom/contraceptive method?

Might I suggest that you try to sum up everything you think you know in a proposed solution? Lately, some of the questions seem to go back over ground that I thought had already been covered.

Bulbapuck

Is this taking place in modern times?
I've been googling laws on out of wedlock pregnancies all morning :p

Mandle

Was the father forced to become a monk as punishment?
Was the mother forced to become a nun as punishment?
Was the child forced into servitude of the church as a punishment?

Snarky

YES!
Was the mother forced to become a nun as punishment?

Some hundreds of years ago, the daughter of a nobleman has an affair with a servant and becomes pregnant. When this is discovered, the boy is hanged and the girl sent to live in a convent for having brought shame upon her family.

(Capital punishment for an affair may seem harsh even by medieval standards, but given the difference in rank between the couple, and her father acting as judge, I think it would be possible. There are some parallels to the legend of Tristan and Iseult: when their affair is discovered, Tristan is sentenced to hang and Iseult sent to a leper colony, although both escape their punishment.)

My idea was to build the case around something we don't think of as a crime. I first tried to come up with something around blasphemy, but wasn't able to make anything interesting out of it. When you all quickly figured out that it was about sex out of wedlock, I thought the misdirection had failed, but then people kept trying to come up with further explanations after you already had the answer, so I guess it worked after all.

Mandle

YAY! Well, CaptainD busted the pregnancy part I believe so perhaps over to him for the next case if he wants?

Personally, I look forward to playing a case from his twisted deranged unique imagination!

CaptainD

Case #32

The attack was savage and very damaging, but the victim lived.  That same day, the victim met their twin, for the very first time.  What happened?

(Apologies in advance if this one is just too easy, but I couldn't resist! :grin:)

Mandle

Did the victim lose a part of their body?
Were there any curtains around?
Did the victim have any robotic parts?

Kumpel

Are they Siamese twins that somehow never saw each other until an operation could separate them?

CaptainD

Note - actually this isn't going to be anywhere near as easy as I first thought because of an error I made... but I can't tell you what that error is because it would make solving the puzzle much easier!  D'oh... all will be revealed in the end, the clue still stands exactly as it is anyway.

Case #32

The attack was savage and very damaging, but the victim lived.  That same day, the victim met their twin, for the very first time.  What happened?

Yes

No
Are they Siamese twins that somehow never saw each other until an operation could separate them?

Sinitrena

Was there more than one victim?

Was the victim male?
Was the victim female?
Are we talking about humans?

CaptainD

Note - actually this isn't going to be anywhere near as easy as I first thought because of an error I made... but I can't tell you what that error is because it would make solving the puzzle much easier!  D'oh... all will be revealed in the end, the clue still stands exactly as it is anyway.

Case #32

Yes
Was the victim male? *yes and no
Was the victim female? *yes and no

No

Mandle

Is the victim a sailor?
Is the victim saved by a ship?
Is his twin an important person?

CaptainD

Case #32

Yes

No
Is the victim a sailor?
Is the victim saved by a ship?
Is his twin an important person?

Sinitrena

Wild theorie, but:

Is the victim an earthworm that was cut in two, creating two earthworms in the process? (The german wikipedia tells me this is not possible, while the english one says it is. Oh, who cares?)

Mandle

Damn, I was quite sure that we were talking about Luke and Leia, and Luke losing his hand to Vader and then discovering that Leia is his twin. I thought the error in the question was it was supposed to mean "meet for the first time while aware it was his twin".

My next two theories were Agent Cooper meeting his doppleganger in the red curtain room in Twin Peaks, and The Terminator meeting and fighting himself in Terminator:Genisys.

I was trying to veil my questions to be a smartass while I got more info.

But I think Sinitrena just solved it in the meanwhile :-[

CaptainD

Quote from: Sinitrena on Sun 28/05/2017 23:36:02
Wild theorie, but:

Is the victim an earthworm that was cut in two, creating two earthworms in the process? (The german wikipedia tells me this is not possible, while the english one says it is. Oh, who cares?)

This was actually my original thought, but when I looked it up again I found that earthworms do not actually produce two living organisms, only the one with the head will survive, the other will not (though it may continue moving for a short time, which is possibly what gives rise to the common conception that cutting an earthworm in half will create 2 living worms).  Erroneously I had indeed originally been going with the idea of an earthworm.

Since you got what my original "crime" was I'm going to say you got it.  In fact I had to change it to the Hammerhead Slug, which is the largest flatworm, and one of the few land-based ones.  Flatworms do have the ability to be split in two, and in fact for this particular species it is their preferred method of reproduction!

The scenario was that someone came across one of these flatworms on their land, cut it in half with a spade (a "savage and damaging attack" and moved it out of sight.  Both ends of the worm formed a new living creature and thus the first one met its "twin".  (I realise that calling it a twin could be seen as a misnomer, but it seemed the most fitting term to use.)

Very well done, Sinitrena!

(Mandle - that would have been a cool riddle too!)

Sinitrena

Never heard of a Hammerhead Slug, so that would have been impossible to solve for me.

Case #33

He rounds a corner and sees a red house. Suddenly, he knows he is broke. What happened?

Mandle

I know the answer to this one so I'm going to just spectate this round.

EDIT: Nevermind then... CaptainD busted it already (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk