The "Black Stories" crime riddles thread

Started by Kumpel, Mon 13/03/2017 23:07:23

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

Snarky

(I think you already implicitly answered this, but just to be safe): Did Jessie know Richard was a vampire?
Was it Richard Jessie was fleeing/hiding from?
Was the "house" an actual house (or castle or similar), rather than something not usually inhabited (like a crypt)?

dayowlron

I understand that vampires dont turn into bats in modern day lore, however the part I was referring to in my theory was that he turned into a bat to fly in an upstairs window.

My question:
Was it also Jessies house as in they were a couple?
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Mandle

Case #13 - Jessie was certain she was safe, but Richard got into the house and killed her anyway. What's going on and why was she so fatally wrong?

YES
Was Jessie a human?
Was Richard a sentient creature originating from planet earth?
Does the type of creature Robert is have anything to do with how he got into the house? (This "yes" might be misleading now that I look again. I meant that it has to do with the whole issue of entering the house, not the exact method of entry. Sorry if this was confusing.)
So to clarify, Richard is something like a troll or dwarf or fictional character but not made up in Jessie's mind.
Did Richard get in through a natural opening in the house such as a doorway or window?
Did she think that vampires need to get an invitation to be able to enter the house?
Does Richard have supernatural powers?
Is Richard corporeal (i.e. does he have a physical body) at all times?
Was Richard a vampire?
Was it Richard's house?
Did Jessie know Richard was a vampire? (Well, she knew the moment she saw him.)
Was the "house" an actual house (or castle or similar), rather than something not usually inhabited (like a crypt)?

NO
Was Richard a human?
Was Richard a weather phenomenon? (No, but that could be a really cool riddle.)
Was Richard a zombie?
Was Richard an animal?
Was Richard a ghost?
was richard a plant?
was richard a mushroom?
Was Richard fictional? (I took this as meaning: was he a made up character in Jessie's mind)
Was Richard a robot or machine?
Is Richard a real creature? (such as not a troll, dwarf, hobbit, elf or the like)
Can Richard change forms? such as werewolf or shape changing being.
Was Richard an insect?
Is Richard small? say smaller than a bread basket?
Did she think that Richard, the reaper, won't find her where she hid?
Is Richard a: Troll? Dwarf? Elf?
Is Richard an illness/bacteria/virus etc.?
Had Richard been invited into the house before? (At least not in any way that makes a difference to this story)
Was Richard posing as a doctor?

Mandle

Quote from: dayowlron on Fri 31/03/2017 13:42:01
I understand that vampires dont turn into bats in modern day lore, however the part I was referring to in my theory was that he turned into a bat to fly in an upstairs window.

Understood. I was just commenting to clear up any general confusion over why Richard was a vampire but couldn't transform into a bat or a wolf etc.

CaptainD

Did Richard know it was Jessie that he was killing?
Did Richard actually intend to kill her?

Snarky

Was Jessie fleeing from some other vampire (or someone she thought was a vampire)?
Do we need to know something more about the setting of the story in order to solve it? (E.g. that it takes place on the moon, or that it's a town where everyone's a vampire)

dayowlron

Well it was Richard's house so he had a key to get in but:

Did Jessie think the house had been abandoned?
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Tabata

Did she think that Richard is a priest and able to protect her?
Did Richard want to make her his bride?

btw.
My 'youngest' movie about vampires is from 2015, so not that old.
It was Hotel Transsylvania 2 and those still changed into bats to fly. :undecided:

Mandle

Case #13 - Jessie was certain she was safe, but Richard got into the house and killed her anyway. What's going on and why was she so fatally wrong?

YES
Was Jessie a human?
Does the type of creature Robert is have anything to do with how he got into the house? (This "yes" might be misleading now that I look again. I meant that it has to do with the whole issue of entering the house, not the exact method of entry. Sorry if this was confusing.)
So to clarify, Richard is something like a troll or dwarf or fictional character but not made up in Jessie's mind.
Did Richard get in through a natural opening in the house such as a doorway or window?
Did she think that vampires need to get an invitation to be able to enter the house?
Was Richard a vampire?
Was it Richard's house?
Was Jessie fleeing from some other vampire (or someone she thought was a vampire)? (Wording not exactly right...but yes-ish)
Do we need to know something more about the setting of the story in order to solve it? (E.g. that it takes place on the moon, or that it's a town where everyone's a vampire)

NO
Was Richard a human?
Was Richard a zombie?
Was Richard an animal?
Was Richard a ghost?
was richard a plant?
was richard a mushroom?
Was Richard fictional? (I took this as meaning: was he a made up character in Jessie's mind)
Is Richard a real creature? (such as not a troll, dwarf, hobbit, elf or the like)
Was Richard an insect?
Had Richard been invited into the house before? (At least not in any way that makes a difference to this story)
Did Richard know it was Jessie that he was killing? (No, meaning that he did not know her name was Jessie)

Mandle

Quote from: Tabata on Fri 31/03/2017 17:24:04
My 'youngest' movie about vampires is from 2015, so not that old.
It was Hotel Transsylvania 2 and those still changed into bats to fly. :undecided:

Yeah, in comedy movies about vampires it's still stomachable. (laugh)

Also: Most of the parts of the picture seem to have been almost coloured in...

Solutions and further questions always welcome!

dayowlron

Jessie ran into a house she thought was abandoned but since the house belonged to Richard he was able to get inside with a key. She let him in cause she was fleeing some other vampire but once inside she realized Richard was also a vampire and he killed her. What else needs to be solved? How he might have gotten into his own house other than using a key?
Perhaps she is avoiding a vampire apocalypse.
Maybe the vampire she was fleeing bit Richard and he turned into a vampire once he was inside?

Mandle

YES
Was Jessie a human?
Was Richard a vampire?
Was it Richard's house?
Was Jessie fleeing from some other vampire (or someone she thought was a vampire)? (Wording not exactly right...but yes-ish)
Perhaps she is avoiding a vampire apocalypse?

NO
Was Richard a human?
Was Richard a zombie?
Was Richard an animal?
Was Richard a ghost?
was richard a plant?
was richard a mushroom?
Was Richard an insect?
Did Richard know it was Jessie that he was killing? (No, meaning that he did not know her name was Jessie)
Maybe the vampire she was fleeing bit Richard and he turned into a vampire once he was inside?

NOT QUITE RIGHT SOLUTIONS
Spoiler

Jessie ran into a house she thought was abandoned but since the house belonged to Richard he was able to get inside with a key. She let him in cause she was fleeing some other vampire but once inside she realized Richard was also a vampire and he killed her.

[close]

Mandle

dayowlron has coloured in pretty much the rest of the picture with one of his questions. Can anyone see the whole picture and explain it?

Whenever possible with not quite right solutions I will do as I have done with this one and colour the parts of it that are correct with green, and the parts that aren't with red.

dayowlron

Was he able to get inside cause he knew of a secret doorway?

Riaise

CaptainD

Was Richard to all appearances dead, so Jessie thought she was safe, but he was actually only sleeping / hibernating?

Snarky

It's not clear to me what part of the story is still missing:

Jessie was fleeing a vampire apocalypse. She thought the house was abandoned, so she sought shelter there (this doesn't really make sense to me, since I would expect that vampires can enter abandoned houses, but OK). But it was actually Richard's house, so he could get in, and he killed her.

Cassiebsg

Was Richard already in the house before Jessie hid there?
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 01/04/2017 13:44:55
It's not clear to me what part of the story is still missing:

It was not so much that any part was missing, more that I figured the round ends when somebody posts a correct solution by putting the data together from the YES and NO lists so that it is clear that they understood the entire situation...Which you have done:

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 01/04/2017 13:44:55
Jessie was fleeing a vampire apocalypse. She thought the house was abandoned, so she sought shelter there (this doesn't really make sense to me, since I would expect that vampires can enter abandoned houses, but OK). But it was actually Richard's house, so he could get in, and he killed her.

YES!!!

SOLUTION:
  It started with sporadic attacks here and there, but with every night that passed the situation worsened.
  The vampire curse spread quickly throughout the major cities of the world until it reached apocalyptic levels. The vampires were now in the majority. Jessie managed to flee her city and came upon an isolated country homestead before night fell once again. Even though the house had already been broken into and some supplies had probably already been looted, she found there was still a massive stockpile of canned food, which the looters had not had the means to haul away. She decided to make this her haven, having observed that vampires could not enter a house occupied by a human unless invited in by them.
  Weeks passed, with the vampires surrounding her haven every night, their glowing eyes a vast field of red pin-pricks in the darkness, pleading for her to let them in. They scratched on the windows, whispering that she would be much better off just giving in and joining them. But Jessie wanted to retain her humanity for as long as she could. There was at least a year's worth of food stocked in the house, and the plumbing was still working for now.
  And the bloodsuckers had no way to get at her without her invitation...
  But, on the fateful night our story takes place, the door burst open and Richard strode right in, his eyes glowing bright red.
  Jessie fell back in horror and cried out "You can't enter this house! I didn't invite you!"
  To which Richard replied "Why would I need an invitation?"

"This is my house."

Richard's red eyes and sharp fangs were the last things Jessie saw before dying, but not the last things she ever saw...

Yeah, I dramatized the solution just a tad...

Snarky was the first to put the whole picture together as a posted solution, but also Tabata and dayowlron helped piece the story together with important questions.

I guess Snarky, Tabata, and dayowlron are all viable for hosting the next round.

Whoever wants it first I guess...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk