Some "You Don't Know Jack" Questions About AGS

Started by DBoyWheeler, Thu 16/03/2017 01:04:26

Previous topic - Next topic

DBoyWheeler

I've a fun idea...

How about we make up some "You Don't Know Jack" questions based on Adventure Game Studio games.

Lemme make one up to get it started, and give you the idea.

--

Category Title:
What You Talkin' 'Bout, MAGS?!

[Cash amount told.]

Host:
So, I've been looking through the Hall of Fame, and noticed one of the REALLY old MAGS themes--MAGS, for those not "in the know", refers to a monthly competition where one tries to make a short Adventure Game Studio game before the month's end to fit a particular theme.  Well, the one of the earliest themes was "Textless", where they have to develop a game without the characters using ANY kind of text in game--with a few exceptions.  And it got me thinking...

[Question shows up, Host reads aloud.]

Question:
Suppose a programmer back then was struggling for some inspiration, and looked to a Super Nintendo game for ideas of how to make a Textless game.  Which would give the best inspiration for a possible competitor of "Textless" adventure games.

(1) Super Mario World
(2) Young Merlin
(3) Lagoon
(4) Final Fantasy II

Wisecracks for wrong answer
Spoiler

(1) Host: Obviously you ate way too many mushrooms.  Drugs are bad, m'kay? (cash deducted)

(3) *siren going off and sound of a ship sinking* (cash deducted)

(4) Host: No, actually, there's a crap ton of dialogue in Final Fantasy games, and this game--really Final Fantasy IV, but that's just semantics--is no exception.  You need to grind some more. (cash deducted)
[close]

Response for right answer
Spoiler

(2) Host: Young Merlin very rarely, if ever, uses text.  Most of the dialogue is word balloons or thought balloons showing the item needed or the character to see... or similar stuff.
(cash added)
Host: So even in his younger years, Merlin had a little trouble in "spell-ing"! (rimshot) Booyah!
[close]
--

So you got that?  Make up a cute category title, the question, and in spoiler tags the responses for wrong answers and right answers.

Or, perhaps you might make up a "Dis or Dat" category.

Lemme provide an example of that.
--

Category: The Land Down Under Can Be Spooky, Mate

Host: I'm gonna list off seven Adventure Game Studio games, and I need you to tell me if it's a game by Ghost, or a game by Ben304.  If you think Ghost spooked up this idea, Press 1.  If you think Ben304 gave us the gem, press 2.  And press 4 to skip.
[Cash amount for right answer, or deducted for a wrong answer or ones the player didn't get to.]
Host: Let's do this.

(1) Chance of the Dead
(2) Eternally Us
(3) Heed
(4) RAM Ghost
(5) Featherweight
(6) Once Upon a Crime
(7) Annie Android: Automated Affection

Spoiler

Correct Answers
(1) 1
(2) 2
(3) 2
(4) 1
(5) 2
(6) 1
(7) 2
[close]

Host's responses.
0 Right: Yep, we have an ubernoob here.
1-2 Right: Why not go play one of Ghost or 304's games?  Or any more AGS games than you have already.
3-5 Right: Sounds like you need to restore a saved game somewhere... you need more practice.
6 Right: Keep trying and you might get the maximum possible score.
All 7 Right: Ben304 is impressed.  Sounds like you could be a person who could be a teammate on his next project, mate!

[After score is tallied]

Host: Those games are examples of the greatness of AGS, but with practice, you might one day join their ranks.  We'll see.

--

Or, perhaps you might be into a Gibberish Question?

Here's a good template for that.

--

Category:
Better Get That Candy Replenished Pronto!

Host (after explaining how Gibberish Category works): So, what recent MAGS game title does this rhyme with?

Gibberish: She mad when your toffee be low

Hints:
* It's a recent MAGS game...
* Involving time travel...
* "The Escapade of the Protagonist" would be too complicated.

Answer
Spoiler

The Adventure of the Hero

(After score tallied)
Host: The Adventure of the Hero.  Kind of generic, but whatever, we'll go with it.  Props to him for his entry.
[close]

--

Maybe when we get the ball rolling with this idea, I could even make up other questions, like "Nocturnal Admissions" (where Cookie Masterson describes a weird dream, and the player has to guess the movie he was referring to, assuming it's a movie); "Cookie's Fortune Cookie Fortunes" (with a fortune cookie fortune and a question based on that); "Funky Trash" (in this case, the host finds used Inventory Items pertaining to a game, and the player has to guess which game it's from); and so forth.  And eventually I would like to make up the Final Round question known as the "Jack Attack", where they must match two words or phrases, as long as they fit the clue.

So... anyone wanna make up You Don't Know Jack questions based on AGS games?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk