Installing a game in Linux or Windows

Started by bx83, Sat 18/03/2017 04:23:09

Previous topic - Next topic

bx83

Hi

I can get a game running with only the game folder, and the .exe in Debug/
But what about getting it running on Linux?

Why are there two speech .vox's of different sizes?
Why is the Debug/ .exe expected in the root directory but isn't?
Is the Linux one?
I can delete everything in Speech, but not AudioCache/ - why?
Can I delete all room data?
Is there an option to put all music, speech, rooms and other info into the .exe file?
What is the 'Datafile' format?

etc etc etc etc :P

GoodGuy

QuoteI can delete everything in Speech, but not AudioCache/ - why?
When you import audio files into AGS, you'll probably notice that a folder inside your game folder, called AudioCache, starts to fill up with files. What is it and why is it there?
Well, when you import audio into AGS, you might be importing it from anywhere -- it could be off your hard drive, but it might also be off a USB stick or a CD. AGS can't rely on the audio files always being there because you might remove the USB stick or delete the files on it.
Therefore, when you import audio into AGS it makes a copy of the file in the AudioCache folder. AGS also remembers where the file came from, and when you compile your game it will check if the file has been updated in its original location -- if so it will copy the latest version to the AudioCache.
But if the source file no longer exists, your game will continue to build just fine because AGS has its own copy of the file.
This allows AGS to stick to one of its core principles, that all the files you need to build your game are within the game's folder. That way, you have complete security in knowing that by backing up your game folder, your game will be safe if the worst happens.
QuoteCan I delete all room data?
Discards all the data that the engine has in memory about when the player last visited ROOM_NUMBER, and resets it as if they'd never been there. The next time the player goes to that room, all the objects and scripts will be in their initial state (as set up in the editor), and not how they were when the player left the room. The "First time enters room" event will be run when they enter this room again.
This function is useful if you want to have a "View intro" option to allow the player to watch an intro again - this function can reset all the objects in the intro rooms to their starting positions.
NOTE: You cannot reset the current room (ie. the room that the player is in).
Example:
ResetRoom(0);
will reset the intro room so it can be played again if the player wants to.
QuoteIs there an option to put all music, speech, rooms and other info into the .exe file?
DefaultBundlingType in AudioType's Editor

bx83

Thankyou, I'll put these into play :)

Basically what I'm asking is - how do I turn the game folder into an installed folder?
I only figured it out through trial and error. Is there a 'build final exe' option? Doesn't seem to be - or any documentation on how to 'install' your final game.

Crimson Wizard

"Build final exe" option is located in the main menu: Build -> Build EXE.
You may also try "Rebuild all files" just in case, but that is more useful if you copied new game files from somewhere else.

Your compiled game is not in _Debug, but in Compiled folder.
Since AGS 3.4.0 Compiled folder also has subfolders for Windows and Linux separately. When you are about to distribute your game, you need to copy contents of THESE folders, correspondingly.

The Linux version of the game is only automatically built if:
1) You have a Linux build pack installed in your AGS Editor.
2) You chose to build for Linux in General Settings ("Compiler - Build target platform").

How to distribute your game is explained in the manual, "Other features" - "Distributing your game".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk