Author Topic: Blender CG cutscene movie for my BSG game (suggestions?)  (Read 5434 times)

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
  • Fleeing the Cylon tyrrany...
    • Cassiebsg worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Cassiebsg worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: Blender CG cutscene movie for my BSG game (suggestions?)
« Reply #20 on: 12 May 2017, 18:53 »
Hey all... after a lot of headache, this is currently the best I could do, and what I will be using (I need to start adding a "done" to things and move on even if they're not perfect).

Anyway, I know there's a glitch at 1:13, and the last frame is ending "empty". I have already fixed it in the final version.
This is currently as it looks (minus the bad low quality YouTube insists in adding) in game:

[embed=1024,576]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPGhktSvpuc[/embed]

Think I'll add some more text after the Galactica comes on screen, for "Special Guests" or "Featuring the voices of..." :D

Anyway, thanks all for your help!
Oh and feel free to add more criticism, I may not do anything more with this video, but I'll take any help I get into the next. ;)
« Last Edit: 14 May 2017, 09:21 by Cassiebsg »
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

« Reply #21 on: 12 May 2017, 21:23 »
I've already commented on your other thread but wanted to add that Eric's music score is majestic!

If you wanted to go really old school corny, you could have each character#s face come up with their name and the person voicing them, zooming on-screen and then off again.  :grin:

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
    •  
« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2017, 21:30 »
Yes, that was part of the original plan, but decided I needed to simplify, or risk never to finish this.  (roll)
So, think I'll just add some text for this one and leave the option open for the future.  (laugh)

EDIT:

Last but not least...
[embed=1024,576]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCDOY4fHcmU[/embed]
« Last Edit: 14 May 2017, 09:20 by Cassiebsg »

Ali

• What will become of the baron?
    • Ali worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Ali worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #23 on: 16 May 2017, 22:05 »
I love seeing 3D stuff on these forums! Please do more! It may be too late for feedback but here are some thoughts:

The first ship model looks great - lots of detail. By comparison others look a bit smooth and plastic-y.

When the camera moves, the stars stay completely static - even when it's panning. This isn't realistic and the result is, when the camera pans it means the big ship looks like a 2D render sliding out of frame. This also means there's no sense of movement in the middle of the shot. You could try using a spherical sky texture.

It's hard to show an object moving though empty space, so you can use depth to create more dynamic movement - have the shuttle fly closer to the camera, towards and away from.

The trickiest thing - and this is something lots of 3D VFX fails to achieve - is a sense of scale. Because the shuttle moves fast, and the viewer has no frame of reference, it looks small. The BSG reboot's solution was to use documentary style operating - the cameras would whip around and crash zoom. Sometimes they'd nearly miss the shot they were trying to get - like a human operator would if they were trying to follow something huge moving fast. The Star Trek solution is to make their miniature shots very slow and grand - the slow movement of the camera helps imply the relative size of the vessels.

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
    •  
« Reply #24 on: 17 May 2017, 15:00 »
Thanks for the feedback Ali, I'll keep it in mind for the future.  (nod)