Masks of Nyarlathotep - New York Chapter

Started by BESTIEunlmt, Fri 31/03/2017 19:25:16

Previous topic - Next topic

BESTIEunlmt

BESTIEunlmt presents 'Masks of Nyarlathotep - New York Chapter'

Hey everyone, so without much fanfare the finished game!
I hope you enjoy it, go check it out, it took us about four years.

January 1925. The mysterious message from an old friend
sheds new light on the tragic fate of the Carlyle-Expedition,
that went missing in the African bush some years ago.
Soon, the case evolves into a globe-trotting adventure
to thwart the plans of an evil god.

'Masks of Nyarlathotep - New York Chapter' is the first part
of a classic point'n'click adventure campaign, inspired by
the works of H.P. Lovecraft.

Some features:
- A length of 2 to 3 hours on the first playthrough
- More than 20 hand-drawn, walkable screens
- More than 15 characters with conversations
- More than 15 music tracks composed for the game
- English and German translation
- Logical puzzles (and you get a crowbar)
- With a story 'stolen' from Chaosium

DISCLAIMER: We weren't sure if the 'Add Game' function worked, so here's the link to the game:

EDIT: Please download the game from the AGS archives from now on:

https://www.agsarchives.com/game/58defae0a8813928a1397f21

Ibispi

It looks and sounds interesting! I like Lovecraftian games.
edit: so I've just learned these guys are infringing Chaosium's Masks of Nyarlathotep copyright and are boasting with it "-With a story 'stolen' from Chaosium". That's illegal, guys. This thread should be locked/deleted and their link too.

Mandle

Crowbars, Lovecraft, AND Jafar's brother all in the same game?!

* Mandle adds to To-Play list without a second thought!

Athanor

Hey,
I'm very interested to play your game! It looks fantastic. :) However, as Ibispi said, uploaded is a shitty restrictive site, it takes over an hour to download files over there unless you have membership. I can wholeheartedly recommend mediafire tough. ;)

BESTIEunlmt

Hello Athanor et al

Thanks for the interest, the mediafire link is up now.
The size of the game is (half) due to the excellent
symphonic soundtrack by my good friend Chris.

We really hope you enjoy our game.

BTW: We've tried to 'Add Game' to the AGS-archives twice now,
any kind of help (moderator?) is appreciated.

shaun9991

Wow! This looks great, nice work guys :) Downloading now! Nice to see some Lovecraft
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Peder 🚀

There is no "Add Game" on the AGS Archives, there is an "Add your game" on the AGS website though: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/add/
Is this what you've tried? What happens when you try and add your game?

Game looks nice btw, I might give this a go soon if I can find the time, though I already have a backlog of AGS games (or adventure games in general) to play :O.

I also added it to the AGS Archives (as I do with all newly released games for use in MAGSAN) here: https://www.agsarchives.com/game/58defae0a8813928a1397f21

Athanor

Quote from: BESTIEunlmt on Sat 01/04/2017 16:22:01
Thanks for the interest, the mediafire link is up now.
The size of the game is (half) due to the excellent
symphonic soundtrack by my good friend Chris.
Thank you very much, I'm looking forward to play your game. :)

Cassiebsg

FYI: You can not upload the game to the site, it's just a entry on the DB that will link to your game's download site.

Downloaded and hope to find some time to play it soon.   (nod)
Congrats with the release.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SilverSpook

Looks great!  And very unique!  Wow, 4 years... great dedication on your part. :)

CaptainD

Looks really interesting, congrats on the release!

BESTIEunlmt

sthomannch

Wow! Very well done, story, graphics and also fresh puzzles. I enjoyed it a lot and hope to see soon a continuation!

mkennedy

Nice gane. Looking forward to the next installment as well as the final product.

Shadow1000

Game breaking bug:

Spoiler
After speaking to the owner of the Ju Ju shop, I went upstairs, crossed via cables and found the chute. After clicking to use or look at the chute, he says he should wait till night, then the game shuts off. As well, you can get past the barricade without breaking it just by using the ladder
[close]

Is there a way to continue despite the crash?

SHADOW

BESTIEunlmt

@Shadow1000

Thanks for pointing that out, both bugs never occured during our numerous play-throughs, but then, testing the game in the later stages gets much more tedious, needing all the variables in place as well. MILD SPOILERS: After he says to 'wait until dark' you are supposed to talk with Al, who has the (new) dialog option to drive around until dusk.

Sebastian

Shadow1000

Quote from: BESTIEunlmt on Thu 06/04/2017 22:42:14
@Shadow1000

Thanks for pointing that out, both bugs never occured during our numerous play-throughs, but then, testing the game in the later stages gets much more tedious, needing all the variables in place as well. MILD SPOILERS: After he says to 'wait until dark' you are supposed to talk with Al, who has the (new) dialog option to drive around until dusk.

Sebastian

Right, but the problem is that as soon as he says "wait for dark" then the game crashes and shuts off. How can I get the new dialog without looking at or interacting with the chute?

Thank you

SHADOW

BESTIEunlmt

Hey Shadow

Yeah sorry, it's my first (hopelessly over-ambitious) effort with AGS, and the game never crashed at that place before. All I can say is that other members of the community finished the game just fine. Try an earlier save, break the planks before the ladder or start over. Anyway, it's cool you're digging that deep into our game at all, hope you've enjoyed it so far.

Sebastian

Shadow1000

Quote from: BESTIEunlmt on Fri 07/04/2017 00:34:19
Hey Shadow

Yeah sorry, it's my first (hopelessly over-ambitious) effort with AGS, and the game never crashed at that place before. All I can say is that other members of the community finished the game just fine. Try an earlier save, break the planks before the ladder or start over. Anyway, it's cool you're digging that deep into our game at all, hope you've enjoyed it so far.

Sebastian

I restored from a game prior to ever visiting the area. I spoke to the guy in the store then broke the planks before the ladder and looking at the chute or interacting with it will crash the game with a scripting error. Is there a way to get past this? There must be if others, including the testers, have completed the game.

Thank you

BESTIEunlmt

Hey Shadow

I just had a look at the code, and there is an extra variable the game checks to make sure you can't access the chute before getting there properly. You need to 1. remove the boards by InvUse with crowbar 2. Use the ladder to access the second floor 3. Use the loose cables, so the game knows you're on the right of the chasm ---> then, looking at/interacting with the chute should update the journal and unlock the new dialog option (I know, you've seemingly done all that, but it's my best explanation).

As mentioned before, I'm an illustrator first, programmer fourth? fifth? I'm simply using the engine and can't claim to understand it. The crash never appeared before, I hope you still reach the end.

Sebastian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk