The Smallest Points (MAGS ENTRY, MARCH 2017)

Started by Mandle, Sun 02/04/2017 17:12:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

THE  SMALLEST  POINTS

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE GAME

The destiny of a towering future literary figure is at stake when Gloria writes a love letter to her sweetheart, John.
Can the smallest points save her from a mediocre life of drudgery married to this sop, and save her great writing talent for all the ages to enjoy?!

Durinde

Great concept!

Couldn't quite figure out the "final" solution, but still had fun.

Mandle

Quote from: Durinde on Sun 02/04/2017 18:21:40
Great concept!

Couldn't quite figure out the "final" solution, but still had fun.

Thanks! Yeah, I am curious to hear how difficult the puzzle actually is. Because I knew the solution right from the start I have no way to judge how hard it is.

I'm guessing it will be easier for native english speakers, but am also interested in hearing from non-natives who took it on as a second-language challenge.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 02/04/2017 23:48:05
I'm guessing it will be easier for native english speakers, but am also interested in hearing from non-natives who took it on as a second-language challenge.
English isn't my first language, though I managed to find out the solution after some experimenting and never felt frustrated while playing.
But with that said, I can see the finer points of the story being lost on those less familiar with the language.

Otherwise, I enjoyed playing a game with such an unusual and creative concept.

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SilverSpook

Fascinating, original premise and I love that cover!  I will check this out once I get a chance!

Mandle

Thanks for all the feedback so far, guys!

Glad the game premise and puzzle are meeting with some warm reception!

Oh, and the Add Game function is now working again (thanks AGA!) so the link now leads to the database page.

Note to future self:

Spoiler

The game had 36 downloads before going up on AGS (just so I can easier keep track of download total over time)
[close]

josiah1221

Very cool concept Mandle. Being a native English speaker it took me about 20 minutes to figure out the correct solution. I nice little challenge, well done!

Riaise

I agree, it's a very clever concept because once you've read something in a certain way it takes your brain a while to adjust to reading it differently. It's a good puzzle. ;-D

Mandle

Thanks josiah and Riaise again for the feedback...

Good to know that a native english speaker can get at least 20 minutes of puzzle solving from the game, and good also to hear that the puzzle was enjoyed!

I actually wish I could have a shot at it myself... Maybe one day when I'm a really old man and have completely forgotten the solution, eh?

Cassiebsg

Uhm... 5 sec play today... I moved a dot and it ended... (from my save game, that is).  (laugh)

Nice job, only thing is the speech that runs a bit too fast... so, you know, the usual.  ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Glad to hear you solved it Cassie! I'd be interested to hear (in PM maybe, or hidden post) which last dot it was that had you semi-stumped at the end there.

Sorry about the text speed. It's the AGS default speed, and I had no time, as the deadline loomed, to consider all of the smallest points like that... (ironic. eh?)

donmartin

For a 1.5-languaged man like me it took only a few minutes to help the girl tell John how many are two and two...once I realized that the little thing is like a mini Mickey Mouse with a basket picking here and delivering there.

Quite new and nice your concept.:)

Shadow1000

I spent quite some time on this. The second half of the message seems straightforward to "correct" but I can't get the first half going.

SHADOW

Mandle

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Wed 05/04/2017 14:27:36
I spent quite some time on this. The second half of the message seems straightforward to "correct" but I can't get the first half going.

SHADOW

Glad to hear the game challenged a stalwart puzzle solver at at least one point...

Shadow1000

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 05/04/2017 14:39:35
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Wed 05/04/2017 14:27:36

SHADOW

Glad to hear the game challenged a stalwart puzzle solver at at least one point...

Here's the deal: I should probably post my comments on the contest thread (maybe I'll do that late), but this game is sheer genius in the design of the game.

Pros of the game: The graphics and animation are very pleasing. The biggest strength is how far this game is from the traditional point and click. It's almost like inventing your own genre of game ad hoc for a contest with time restraints. That plus the animation, sprite and everything is exceptional.

Con: the gameplay is limited to one word puzzle, where you either solve it or you don't. Possibly the most important principle in game design is to reward the player for playing the game, either by allowing him/her to experience progress or to unfold a story as a "reward" for solving something. My experience with this game was that once I figured out the goal and mechanics, I got only so far so fast and then hit a brick wall and dropped it. It seems that some players solved it while some ended up where I did.

That's my overall thoughts

SHADOW

Mandle

Very fair feedback as usual from Shadow1000...

I enjoyed reading your pros of the game section, and also 100% agree with your cons of the game.

The concept of rewarding the player for slotting a piece of the puzzle into place via some comments from our main character was unfortunately way beyond my ability to code given the time constraints, and also I'm not sure if it could be done without spoiling the game's one and only puzzle. It probably could be done... But I think I'll just let the puzzle stay at its current frustrating level...

Shadow1000

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 05/04/2017 15:24:16

...unfortunately way beyond my ability to code given the time constraints, ...

And that's the key thing to any comments about MAGS games. They have to be put in the perspective of the time constraints. Any presentable, working entry that meets the theme of the contest is highly impressive and my hats are off to the fact that on top of that, this game is just so fresh in its approach.

SHADOW

Mandle

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Wed 05/04/2017 15:50:59
this game is just so fresh in its approach.

SHADOW

A quote that I was kind of hoping for because I was aiming for something maybe not done before in this particular way!

Cheers!

Gurok

Hi Mandle,

Lovely game! I'd like to have seen what happened after Gloria delivered the letter.

As others have said, a fascinating, original concept. Your best MAGS game yet, in my opinion.

Took me about 15 mins to solve it, but each solved sentence felt very rewarding.

Thanks for the lovely game.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk