AGS 3.4.1 - RC 3 (new release candidate)

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sun 09/04/2017 22:02:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Thu 15/06/2017 00:00:52
Did a bit more testing. I noticed that alt-enter does NOT work when a dialog menu is on the screen.

Actually I recall I've seen couple of states when keyboard presses get intercepted. Video playback is another one.

Snarky

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Wed 14/06/2017 21:57:25
This didn't happen to me, but one of my testers told me that the game's dialog text started to zoom by at a very fast speed after alt-tabbing.

This sounds possibly related to something I recently experienced (in an earlier 3.4 build): When I tried to use Alt-X to kill the game during a cutscene, it instead started racing through all the dialog. Only when the cutscene was over was I able to force-quit the game with Alt-X.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Wed 14/06/2017 21:57:25
This didn't happen to me, but one of my testers told me that the game's dialog text started to zoom by at a very fast speed after alt-tabbing.

Oh, I missed this one.

This problem exists in AGS for ages. I remember seeing it the year I came on these forums, and it was reported many times since.
I hoped the situation may improve with 3.4.1 which has upgraded Allegro library, which in turn includes some fixes towards how ALT key works. But that's yet to be confirmed (or refuted).

Dave Gilbert

Hmm. A number of users also reported the speed up problem after activating the steam overlay, which is activated using shift-tab. Maybe it's a tab thing rather than an ALT thing?

I've also been told that pressing the space bar fixes the problem. This isn't something I can confirm, as I never experience the problem myself.

Crimson Wizard

To be presice, that's not speeding up, that's key press not being unregistered, and this every following speech gets skipped by a "key press".

Dave Gilbert

So I've noticed that tinting no longer works in OpenGL mode:

Direct3D (how it's supposed to look):

OpenGL:

The two figures on the left are an object and I used the command: oPlayer.Tint(0, 0, 0,100, 0);
The figure on the right is a character and I used the command: cEli.Tint(0, 0, 0, 80, 0);

Is tinting broken or has the syntax for using the command changed? I tried looking through the thread but didn't find any mention of it.

monkey0506

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Thu 15/06/2017 15:01:15A number of users also reported the speed up problem after activating the steam overlay, which is activated using shift-tab.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 15/06/2017 17:05:15To be presice, that's not speeding up, that's key press not being unregistered, and this every following speech gets skipped by a "key press".

Dave, I've sent you (via Facebook) a modified build of the Steam plugin that should completely ignore any keyboard input (to AGS) if the Steam overlay is active. Let me know if that helps, and I'll push out the revision for everyone else, thanks!

rmonic79

i'm trying the last build and speech doesn't run (they are all in ogg format and in gameroot/speech folder)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: rmonic79 on Sun 18/06/2017 23:33:03
i'm trying the last build and speech doesn't run (they are all in ogg format and in gameroot/speech folder)

Voice over does not work in 3.4.1, this will be fixed soon.

AGD2

Great work on the new update, guys. A lot of excellent improvements here!

I've just tested this latest beta with Mage's Initiation. Apologies if any of this has already been reported - I haven't read the entire thread yet - but here are a few issues I ran into, as well as some questions:

1)

The first time I loaded the game into the editor and hit F5 to test compile, I got the following editor error messages. (I was able to resolve them by pressing F7 to rebuild the files, but figured I should report it anyway):

Spoiler

Error: Failed to open data file for writing: 'Compiled\Data\speech.vox'
Version: AGS 3.4.1.5

AGS.Types.AGSEditorException: Failed to open data file for writing: 'Compiled\Data\speech.vox'
   at ThrowManagedException(SByte* message)
   at make_old_style_data_file(String* , vector<AGS::Common::String const \,std::allocator<AGS::Common::String const > >* )
   at AGS.Native.NativeMethods.CreateVOXFile(String fileName, String[] fileList)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.SpeechComponent.RebuildVOXFileIfRequired(String voxFileName, String[] filesOnDisk, Dictionary`2 sourceFileTimes)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.SpeechComponent._agsEditor_ExtraOutputCreationStep()
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.CreateMiniEXEForDebugging(CompileMessages errors)
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.CompileGame(Boolean forceRebuild, Boolean createMiniExeForDebug)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.BuildCommandsComponent.TestGame(Boolean withDebugger)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.BuildCommandsComponent.CommandClick(String controlID)
   at AGS.Editor.GUIController._mainForm_OnMenuClick(String menuItemID)
   at AGS.Editor.MainMenuManager.MenuEventHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.ProcessCmdKey(Message& m, Keys keyData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripManager.ProcessShortcut(Message& m, Keys shortcut)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripManager.ProcessCmdKey(Message& m, Keys keyData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessMessage(Message& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessControlMessageInternal(Control target, Message& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.PreTranslateMessage(MSG& msg)
[close]
AND:
Spoiler

A serious error occurred and the AGS Editor may now be in an unstable state. You are STRONGLY ADVISED to shut down the editor and restart it. Before saving your work, make a backup copy of your game folder in case any data has been corrupted.

Error: AGS.Types.AGSEditorException: Failed to open data file for writing: 'Compiled\Data\speech.vox'
   at ThrowManagedException(SByte* message)
   at make_old_style_data_file(String* , vector<AGS::Common::String const \,std::allocator<AGS::Common::String const > >* )
   at AGS.Native.NativeMethods.CreateVOXFile(String fileName, String[] fileList)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.SpeechComponent.RebuildVOXFileIfRequired(String voxFileName, String[] filesOnDisk, Dictionary`2 sourceFileTimes)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.SpeechComponent._agsEditor_ExtraOutputCreationStep()
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.CreateMiniEXEForDebugging(CompileMessages errors)
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.CompileGame(Boolean forceRebuild, Boolean createMiniExeForDebug)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.BuildCommandsComponent.TestGame(Boolean withDebugger)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.BuildCommandsComponent.CommandClick(String controlID)
   at AGS.Editor.GUIController._mainForm_OnMenuClick(String menuItemID)
   at AGS.Editor.MainMenuManager.MenuEventHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.ProcessCmdKey(Message& m, Keys keyData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripManager.ProcessShortcut(Message& m, Keys shortcut)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripManager.ProcessCmdKey(Message& m, Keys keyData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessMessage(Message& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessControlMessageInternal(Control target, Message& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.PreTranslateMessage(MSG& msg)
[close]

2)

With RenderAtScreenResolution, is it currently possible to adjust this setting via the script when it's set to "User Defined" in the general settings pane? If so, how?

3)

In 3.4.1.5, I noticed that the mouse cursor gets locked to a very small corner at top-left of the screen on start-up if you put a Display() message in the game_start function. When you move the mouse while this Display message is visible, the white Windows system mouse pointer flickers, but the in-game mouse cursor doesn't move. This didn't used to happen in 3.4.0 and earlier AGS versions.

4)

For me, pressing ALT+ENTER to make the game enter full-screen mode doesn't work properly with the Direct3D driver. I just get a black screen. Pressing ALT+ENTER to put the game back to windowed mode makes the game screen visible again. (Note that it DOES work with both the Software and Open GL drivers - only Direct3D has the problem). My video card is a relatively recent ROG STRIX- GeForce GTX 1080 with the latest drivers, so it shouldn't have any issues.

5)

This issue existed in 3.4.0, but I didn't get around to reporting it earlier:  If a queued music piece starts playing while character speech audio is in progress, the music volume will jump back up to the normal volume level (in the middle of speech), rather than adhering to the SetAudioTypeSpeechVolumeDrop value.

6)

The Escape key doesn't work after you press CTRL. To re-enable the escape key, you need to press any other key in-game, other than CTRL.

I know this was an issue with Allegro 4. So, I just wanted to check if it's been resolved in Allegro 4.4 and whether a possible solution is now available after upgrading AGS to that version?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AGD2 on Mon 19/06/2017 06:46:50
With RenderAtScreenResolution, is it currently possible to adjust this setting via the script when it's set to "User Defined" in the general settings pane? If so, how?
No, but in theory it should be trivial to make such command, and even save in-game changes to config.

Quote from: AGD2 on Mon 19/06/2017 06:46:50
For me, pressing ALT+ENTER to make the game enter full-screen mode doesn't work properly with the Direct3D driver. I just get a black screen. Pressing ALT+ENTER to put the game back to windowed mode makes the game screen visible again. (Note that it DOES work with both the Software and Open GL drivers - only Direct3D has the problem). My video card is a relatively recent ROG STRIX- GeForce GTX 1080 with the latest drivers, so it shouldn't have any issues.
Does fullscreen mode work from the start if you set it in winsetup?
Also, what is your operating system? Earlier we found that D3D may not work well on Windows 10.

AGD2

QuoteNo, but in theory it should be trivial to make such command, and even save in-game changes to config.

Great, that would be useful.

QuoteDoes fullscreen mode work from the start if you set it in winsetup?
Also, what is your operating system? Earlier we found that D3D may not work well on Windows 10.

No, it doesn't seem to work if I set it in winsetup.exe and then run the game from there, either. I'm using Windows 10 64-Bit.

Is it possible that the RenderAtScreenResolution can be made to work with Open GL so that higher resolution character sprites can be used? That would bypass the need to use D3D.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AGD2 on Mon 19/06/2017 19:57:41
Is it possible that the RenderAtScreenResolution can be made to work with Open GL so that higher resolution character sprites can be used? That would bypass the need to use D3D.

It should work with OpenGL already, does not it for you? I do not remember if I tested that properly though.

AGD2

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 19/06/2017 20:56:17
It should work with OpenGL already, does not it for you? I do not remember if I tested that properly though.

Oh, right, sorry, I just tested it and yes it does. I had mistaken it for the entry that said "OpenGL renderer does not support individual sprite tinting and light levels."

Any word on the other issues/bugs, particularly 3, 5, and 6? If you need more info about any of those, or need to know how to replicate them, let me know.

Dave Gilbert

One small inconsistency I noticed. Switching to windowed mode usually - but not always - puts the game in a window that is much smaller than the one I specified in Winsetup.exe. I can't reproduce this 100% of the time yet, but this definitely does happen.

I am also noticing that when I add new music, the music never plays. I have to choose the "REBUILT ALL FILES" option before the game will actually play the music. The music plays fine when I select it in the editor. I haven't tried this with sound effects yet.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Tue 20/06/2017 22:43:19
I am also noticing that when I add new music, the music never plays. I have to choose the "REBUILT ALL FILES" option before the game will actually play the music. The music plays fine when I select it in the editor. I haven't tried this with sound effects yet.

This probably means that game cannot find files in AudioCache when running from editor, but takes it from audio.vox always.

Dave Gilbert

Weird. Importing new music seems to be working as designed now. So... ignore that feedback unless it comes up again.

Crimson Wizard

Trying to make character tinting work in OpenGL... kinda like how the Unavowed dialog options fit the failed OpenGL shader experiment...

Spoiler

[close]

Dave Gilbert

Crimson Wizard

3 hours of head banging later, when I was beginning to think everything is futile........

Spoiler

[close]

Just kidding with the teal color; using actual tint's RGB is not a problem. But I need to understand how to use use saturation in this calculations...

But geez, that it so hard to find a right solution even on Internet when you have 0% knowledge of things, and people post tutorials always forgetting to explain some nuance.
That would certainly be easier if I could spare more time learning this shaders stuff properly, which I cannot do right now :(.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk