AGS 3.4.1 - RC 3 (new release candidate)

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sun 09/04/2017 22:02:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AGD2 on Wed 28/06/2017 04:11:10
This issue existed in 3.4.0, but I didn't get around to reporting it earlier:  If a queued music piece starts playing while character speech audio is in progress, the music volume will jump back up to the normal volume level (in the middle of speech), rather than adhering to the SetAudioTypeSpeechVolumeDrop value.[/b]

This one's still happening. Here's a video demonstrating it.

https://youtu.be/Oe0UlOpH6po

At around 15 seconds, the female character starts speaking. The currently playing music has almost reached its end, and another music piece has already been queued to play after it. At 18 seconds, the character is still speaking, and the music ends. The new queued piece immediately kicks in and it spikes back up to normal (loud) volume, instead of detecting that speech is still playing and making the new music adhere to the value of SetAudioTypeSpeechVolumeDrop.

This seem to be an old issue, from the looks of the code it occurs when any sound starts playing during the voice-over, because volume drop is only applied to clips playing at the moment when speech starts.
For example, even if you start a new music with .Play() during voice-over it won't be applied. Also, if you adjust volume drop property during voice-over, it also won't be applied until next line.

Dave Gilbert

I originally posted this in the wrong thread!

One odd glitch I'm noticing. If my computer has been on for a very long time (say, I leave it on overnight) and then I compile and run my game, the game will not accept ANY keyboard input. No escape, no press-key-to-advance-dialog, no nothing. I can't even type in names for save files. The only input it accepts is the mouse button. Rebooting my computer fixes the problem every time.

This could be an issue with my computer, but it's a problem that only surfaced with AGS 3.4.0. As a test I switched over to to a game compiled with earlier versions (before I rebooted, obviously) and they accepted keyboard inputs just fine.

Crimson Wizard

A very small update, fixing few recently reported bugs. I think this should be the last beta, want to make final release already. There are few known minor issues, but these may be addressed in future patches, whoever makes them.

AGS 3.4.1 Beta 7
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/releases/betas/AGS-3.4.1-Beta7/AGS-3.4.1-beta-7.zip
(also updated first post)

Changes since Beta 6:

Engine:
- Fixed volume drop was not applied to audio clips which begin playing during speech voice-over (a very old bug).
- Fixed Game.SetAudioTypeSpeechVolumeDrop did not affect currently playing clips until next voice-over begins.
- Fixed engine was trying to locate "My Documents" folder on Windows Vista and higher even though it did not need it, and reporting internal error if such folder was not found, even though "Saved Games" folder is used instead.
- Added missing stubs for agsjoy plugin.

NicolaGs

Thanks Crimson for this release.

I'd like to report an issue with OpenGL (don't know if it's a bug) : VSync seems to be ineffective.

While using VSync with Direct3D/Internal renderer allows to get rid of tearing effect quite perfectly, but this tearing effect is always present with OpenGL (best seen on scrollings), VSync ON or OFF...
I tried it on 3 different PC (Win 7 each time), and always got "not smooth" scrollings.
My first game : I Want Out!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: NicolaGs on Mon 21/08/2017 17:39:48
I'd like to report an issue with OpenGL (don't know if it's a bug) : VSync seems to be ineffective.

While using VSync with Direct3D/Internal renderer allows to get rid of tearing effect quite perfectly, but this tearing effect is always present with OpenGL (best seen on scrollings), VSync ON or OFF...
I tried it on 3 different PC (Win 7 each time), and always got "not smooth" scrollings.

Hmm, maybe it was not implemented, I will look into this.

AGD2

Thanks for the update, CW! I've tested it briefly, and I'm still running into a few issues. Here are my latest findings:

1)
- Fixed volume drop was not applied to audio clips which begin playing during speech voice-over (a very old bug).
- Fixed Game.SetAudioTypeSpeechVolumeDrop did not affect currently playing clips until next voice-over begins.

These fixes aren't working on my end. In this new build, the music volume doesn't drop at all, prior to (or during) character speech. It remains the same volume throughout.

2)
On Windows 10, I'm still getting a black screen when running the game in full-screen mode with the Direct3D driver. I can hear the music and sound, but I get no visuals - like the canvas is black. It happens both when running in full-screen mode initially, and also when toggling to full-screen from windowed mode with Alt+Enter. It displays fine in Direct3D windowed mode, just not in full-screen mode. Direct3D full-screen mode definitely used to work on Win10 in the previous AGS editor version, prior to OpenGL support being added, so it's got to be something specific to this build.

3)
QuoteThe Escape key doesn't work after you press CTRL. To re-enable the escape key, you need to press any other key in-game, other than CTRL.

This now seems to be fixed. I didn't see it listed in your post above, but thanks a million! Was it an intentional fix or a side-effect? In any case, it was a source of much frustration, so I'm glad to see it gone after plaguing me for a decade. :)

4)
Still getting the issue with the debug console text not being present. To recap: The game's color depth is 32-bit. Font 0 is a pretty small TTF font, but it's there. In previous versions, I'm sure it used the larger Font 3 (TTF), which is the same font I had set up in the editor for the "Custom text-window GUI" setting. I haven't since modified any of the new advanced font parameters. Maybe adding a way for users to set a specific console font/color in game_start function would be best?

It was also suggested in an earlier post that perhaps the font was set to white. Is that possible?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AGD2 on Mon 21/08/2017 21:12:27
1)

These fixes aren't working on my end. In this new build, the music volume doesn't drop at all, prior to (or during) character speech. It remains the same volume throughout.

What drop value you have set for audio type, and do you change it in script somewhere?
I tested again, it works for me. Could anyone else try this out?

Quote from: AGD2 on Mon 21/08/2017 21:12:27Direct3D full-screen mode definitely used to work on Win10 in the previous AGS editor version, prior to OpenGL support being added, so it's got to be something specific to this build.
Does it work now when you use 3.4.0 or previous 3.4.1 beta?

AGD2

Quote from: Crimson WizardWhat drop value you have set for audio type, and do you change it in script somewhere?
I tested again, it works for me. Could anyone else try this out?

I have this line in both the game_start function and in the on_event eEventRestoreGame script:

Code: ags
Game.SetAudioTypeSpeechVolumeDrop(eAudioTypeMusic, 45);

Quote from: Crimson WizardDoes it work now when you use 3.4.0 or previous 3.4.1 beta?

Hmmm I just loaded up 3.4.0 and can confirm that it didn't work in that build either. I recall it working relatively recently, so I'm not sure what the issue could be. Probably something related to my own system, though.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AGD2 on Mon 21/08/2017 23:05:52
Quote from: Crimson WizardDoes it work now when you use 3.4.0 or previous 3.4.1 beta?

Hmmm I just loaded up 3.4.0 and can confirm that it didn't work in that build either. I recall it working relatively recently, so I'm not sure what the issue could be. Probably something related to my own system, though.

There were multiple reports up to date that Direct3D 9 mode just does not work well on Windows 10, with any AGS games.
Do you have VSync enabled? I heard a suggestion before that it may help. Not sure myself.

AGD2

Yeah, the V-sync setting seems to make no difference at all in regards to this issue.

Crimson Wizard

@AGD2, regarding the console problem you are having, do you actually build your game in debug mode? Just wanted to double check that.
Also, I do not remember if I asked before, have you tried replacing font 0 to something else (another TTF or WFN font) and see if that would work?

monkey0506

Running Beta 7 on Windows XP, I get the following crash when closing a window using the red 'X' in the corner of the window:

Quote---------------------------
Illegal exception
---------------------------
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x081019EF ; program pointer is +9904, ACI version , gtags (0,12)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.

An error file CrashInfo.dmp has been created. You may be asked to upload this file when reporting this problem on the AGS Forums. (code 0)
OK   

This is Heroine's Quest on Steam, I'm investigating the overlay not appearing when running from the 3.3.0 engine with either renderer. I get nearly the same error if exiting the game from the title menu, except it references a line in the GlobalScript.asc.

Unless I'm mistaken "program pointer is +9904" is only set immediately before calling "exit(EXIT_NORMAL);", so why would this be crashing? I can upload the crash dump if it's helpful.

Edit: If it's relevant, I've completely removed the code from AGS_EngineShutdown in the plugin and still got the same error.

Radiant

I'm curious if there are any updates on the issue that the DirectX 9 driver doesn't work on certain Windows 10 systems?

Vincent

I am sorry for asking, what it is addiction about?

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 21/08/2017 17:05:46

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Vincent on Fri 25/08/2017 11:21:24
I am sorry for asking, what it is addiction about?

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 21/08/2017 17:05:46

It makes game run if plugin is missing, although joystick won't work. This is mainly useful for Linux, where plugin does not work yet.

morganw

Quote from: Radiant on Fri 25/08/2017 08:36:32
I'm curious if there are any updates on the issue that the DirectX 9 driver doesn't work on certain Windows 10 systems?
I've not tested it out, but apparently installing the full DirectX 9 runtime package can restore compatibility with Windows 10.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

AGD2

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 25/08/2017 02:41:10
@AGD2, regarding the console problem you are having, do you actually build your game in debug mode? Just wanted to double check that.
Also, I do not remember if I asked before, have you tried replacing font 0 to something else (another TTF or WFN font) and see if that would work?

Interesting. I had been compiling the game with debug mode off, but I have a keycode in-game that allows me to set game.debug_mode to true, so that I can enable/disable it at will, while testing.

I just tried changing the "Enable Debug Mode" setting to "true" in the editor, and then re-compiling. This fixed the issue. (I didn't need to re-import or change any fonts). So I can confirm that the problem only surfaces if you compile with debug mode off and then turn it on in-game and then invoke the console... which is still an issue.

Dave Gilbert

Just downloaded the new version! Will test it in more detail later, but just wanted to say that the unresponsive keyboard issue I reported earlier still remains. As before, rebooting my computer fixes the problem.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AGD2 on Sat 26/08/2017 22:56:34I had been compiling the game with debug mode off, but I have a keycode in-game that allows me to set game.debug_mode to true, so that I can enable/disable it at will, while testing.

I just tried changing the "Enable Debug Mode" setting to "true" in the editor, and then re-compiling. This fixed the issue. (I didn't need to re-import or change any fonts). So I can confirm that the problem only surfaces if you compile with debug mode off and then turn it on in-game and then invoke the console...

Aaaah, yes, this is what I suspected. Well, that should not be a problem to fix then.

Monsieur OUXX

Thanks a lot for your gigantic work CW.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk