AGS 3.4.1 - RC 3 (new release candidate)

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sun 09/04/2017 22:02:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gilbert

proximity

Nice release :wink: I hope we will see smooth cursor movement soon :smiley:
Proximity Entertainment

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: proximity on Thu 09/11/2017 09:55:07
I hope we will see smooth cursor movement soon :smiley:
What is it about smooth cursor movement?

MiteWiseacreLives!

QuoteWhat is it about smooth cursor movement?
I was just searching for an answer on this 8-0
AGS 3.4.0
For the last week or two, I've been experiencing really bad "lag??" with my cursor. I'll type something or move the cursor and it takes 30-60sec to register, all the drop down menus pop up clear and after a painfully long time they populate.. just every click and keypress takes a really long time to process. I've been running antivirus, ad-removal etc. trying to clean up my system, but seems to be isolated to AGS.
EDIT: opened WordPad and it is having same issues, its likely an issue with my system.. Which I would love to resolve....

Crimson Wizard

I found a mistake in latest RC1. When fixing reading projects with unusual version number, I actually made another mistake, and now it does not read version number properly in most cases, it just does not crash because of that.
As a result, Editor may do unnecessary "upgrade" to project settings. Currently the only noteable action is that it sets "Script compatibility level" to v.3.2.1 (meaning that some of the old functions become enabled again).

E: Another problem that I noticed is that typing "#undef" on the last line in script causes crash.
There was a similar problem with "#define", which was fixed back in year 2014 by tzachs (commit hash 129e22ee009683d5654d4e2c7f801c9e13cbe9af ). I wonder if this is same problem, and if same fix may be applied to "#undef". (And maybe other macros?)

Snarky

This could be related:

I was just experiencing something that seemed a bit weird with #endregion macros on the last line of a script. I remembered my globalscript ending with two #endregion lines (one region was nested inside another), but when I loaded it again there were three. I thought maybe I had forgotten to close another #region tag higher up and AGS inserted a close at the end of the file, but I didn't look into it further.

proximity

It's like mouse cursor (in a game) doesn't move properly like Windows cursor. It's slower and laggy. This exists since v. 2.72.
Proximity Entertainment

eri0o

Mouse cursor moves correctly if the game fps is 60fps

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: proximity on Sat 11/11/2017 09:36:23

It's like mouse cursor (in a game) doesn't move properly like Windows cursor. It's slower and laggy. This exists since v. 2.72.

Some of the mouse issues were fixed in the past, and I did not hear much about them after that, except for issues with very particular devices.
So either not much people are having them, or they don't talk much about this...
There was this old thread opened in 2013, but too little details were provided to investigate: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?issue=459.0

Also, recently someone had a weird issue, which they fixed turning "enhance pointer precision" off in Windows.
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/issues/416#issuecomment-326890796
Personally, I've never experienced nothing similar.

What does your issue look like? Do these problems occur in fullscreen or windowed mode? Do they depend on game resolution and graphics mode, game speed? Did you try increasing mouse speed in winsetup? More information is required.

EDIT:
Quote from: eri0o on Sat 11/11/2017 09:38:09
Mouse cursor moves correctly if the game fps is 60fps

If the problem is related to mouse cursor slowing down at lower game speeds, then the solution would be to make AGS update mouse cursor in fixed frequency regardless of game speed parameter.

proximity

It isn't a speed issue. The issue is the mouse cursor is laggy all the time regardless what FPS the game has (windowed or full screen). It looks like the mouse cursor is fixed to 15-20 FPS. I even tried incredible game speeds like 250 FPS. The game was fluent but the mouse cursor was still the same. I last tried it with AGS 3.4.0. I always use 32-bit colors and alpha blending in my games, so I actually don't know what the result is in old school games like 256 colors palette and very low resolutions. May be most of the developers here use old school techniques so they may not have an issue like this and they don't see any problem to report.

I also tried UpdateCursor() function and it didn't help.
Proximity Entertainment

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: proximity on Sat 11/11/2017 14:36:21I last tried it with AGS 3.4.0.
Could you specify which 3.4.0 exactly (what is the fourth version number)? The mouse fix I was referring to was added somewhere in the midst of 3.4.0 development.

Just in case I opened ticket for this issue: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?issue=849.0

Although, first of all set of conditions has to be established. For example, you are saying that you use 32-bit color gfx - and I assume - high resolutions? - in your game. Do other people who play your game experience same problem? Or, on contrary, do you have same issue when you run low-res games made by other people?

henrikes

Hi,

Im using AGS 3.4.1, when i try to change from window to fullscreen (alt + f4) the image doesnt fill the screen? it stays he same size but with black all around, shouldnt the image fill the screen?

Game is at 1280x720
Screen at 1680x1050

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: henrikes on Sun 12/11/2017 09:53:16
Im using AGS 3.4.1, when i try to change from window to fullscreen (alt + f4) the image doesnt fill the screen?

You mean "alt + enter"? ;)

That's probably because you have "Maximal round scaling" mode set in setup (this option scales game only by integer multipliers like x2, x3 etc), change that to "Stretch to full screen" or "Stretch proportionally".

BTW, that reminds me that I wanted to make "Stretch proportionally" be default setting, since people keep stumbling into this problem.

PS. The reason for "maximal round scaling" option to exist is that when you scale 2D games unevenly (by non-integer factor) some of the original pixels may be scaled less than others. This is not an issue for hi-res games, but may become noticeable if you play low-res games.

henrikes

Yes i meant "alt + enter" :-[

I have tried the options "Stretch to full screen" or "Stretch proportionally" and they only work when i run the game outside the game studio (run the game exe).
But also choosing those modes when in window mode it resizes the window to almost fullscreen? I was expecting the window to maintain tbe scale but apparently it changes the scale while in window mode...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: henrikes on Sun 12/11/2017 14:39:37
I have tried the options "Stretch to full screen" or "Stretch proportionally" and they only work when i run the game outside the game studio (run the game exe).
This might be a mistake in AGS... Do you set this option in winsetup or "Default Setup" pane in the editor?

But also choosing those modes when in window mode it resizes the window to almost fullscreen? I was expecting the window to maintain tbe scale but apparently it changes the scale while in window mode...
This option works for both modes same way, it does not separate them. Is this a problem? I was not sure what is the better way to implement this. Maybe I could make it have separate scaling option for windowed and fullscreen, will it be convenient for players to set up?

NicolaGs

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 12/11/2017 14:48:35
Maybe I could make it have separate scaling option for windowed and fullscreen, will it be convenient for players to set up?
By reading the previous posts I was wondering the same thing.
It would then be possible to have proportionally stretched fullscreen image and a maximum round multiplier windowed mode, for example.
Indeed, sometimes, by stretching the windowed mode, you have some parts of the window hidden behind desktop elements (e.g. taskbar). This way, it would look "cleaner" in windowed mode while retaining a "real" fullscreen mode.
My first game : I Want Out!

henrikes

This might be a mistake in AGS... Do you set this option in winsetup or "Default Setup" pane in the editor?

When i set the option in "Default Setup" and try to Run the game (F5) doesnt scale the game, if i do it in winsetup it does scale the game.

This option works for both modes same way, it does not separate them. Is this a problem? I was not sure what is the better way to implement this. Maybe I could make it have separate scaling option for windowed and fullscreen, will it be convenient for players to set up?

I was expecting that in window mode the game wouldn't be scaled, and would only scale in fullscreen mode, but again that is what I was expecting :D

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: henrikes on Sun 12/11/2017 15:00:09
When i set the option in "Default Setup" and try to Run the game (F5) doesnt scale the game, if i do it in winsetup it does scale the game.
That's because there is a user config for your game (edited by winsetup) that overrides values from Default Setup. Default Setup - this is what game uses only after it was installed on computer for the first time.
If you want to test how Default Setup works, go to "Saved Games" system folder (you can use "%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games" in windows explorer), find folder with the name of your game and delete acsetup.cfg there.

I was expecting that in window mode the game wouldn't be scaled, and would only scale in fullscreen mode, but again that is what I was expecting :D
Well, in your case that would make sense, since you have 1280x720 game, but if the game is 320x200 not scaling its window would make it look very small, so games do have some scaling option applied most of time.

Quote from: NicolaGs on Sun 12/11/2017 14:58:59
Maybe I could make it have separate scaling option for windowed and fullscreen, will it be convenient for players to set up?
By reading the previous posts I was wondering the same thing.
It would then be possible to have proportionally stretched fullscreen image and a maximum round multiplier windowed mode, for example.
This way, it would look "cleaner" in windowed mode while retaining a "real" fullscreen mode.

That might be possible to do... Not sure how well it look in winsetup; probably it will need to remember both scaling options and switch between them when you tick/untick the "Windowed" checkbox.

Quote from: NicolaGs on Sun 12/11/2017 14:58:59
Indeed, sometimes, by stretching the windowed mode, you have some parts of the window hidden behind desktop elements (e.g. taskbar).
Hmm, I thought it takes taskbar into account when calculating max window size. Probably not working perfect all times.

NicolaGs

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 12/11/2017 15:08:50
Hmm, I thought it takes taskbar into account when calculating max window size. Probably not working perfect all times.
No... You're absolutely right! I should have been more precise...
It's the window "decoration" (by this, I mean the frame, according to the theme you use) which is not displayed. In fact, the top of the window (with the minimize/close buttons) can be off screen as well.
It seems that only the game video frame size is used to calculate its size...
In fact, it just really is a cosmetic issue... not very important!

I can guess that creating such a new option could make the winsetup more complexe to understand...
My first game : I Want Out!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: NicolaGs on Sun 12/11/2017 15:19:13
I can guess that creating such a new option could make the winsetup more complexe to understand...

Well, something has to be done here, or people will keep having this problem.
I have changed how this work so many times, and every time I seem to do this wrong.

The first variant was this: when you switch from fullscreen to windowed it chooses maximal round scaling, and if you run windowed first and switch to fullscreen - then it chooses proprtional stretch. Then someone told me that's not good, because they expected scaling mode to be kept, so I made it they way it is now.

Will having two separate scaling options - for windowed and fullscreen mode - make it too complicated? Otherwise I just have no idea.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk