Ruin - a destructive point and click adventure, demo available.

Started by Duckbutcher, Thu 13/04/2017 16:26:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckbutcher

Meet Keith Stump (the scruffy guy in the black suit) - he's down on his luck. He woke up one morning to find his wife, car, house and job all gone. Luckily he has lots of friends who want to help him, including bespectacled hipster Thursleigh Worplesdon. Help Keith rebuild his life by running errands for his friends and solving puzzles! Or, if you like, smash Thursleigh's TV with a spanner, set him on fire and generally make sure his life is as RUINED as yours is! Fun for all the family in glorious 320/240 resolution.

Get the demo here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=86701505766470831380

This is a demo which comprises the first location of many in the town of Blandville. It is incredibly silly and childish. No real idea when the full game will be ready (it's probably quite a way off), just thought I'd put this out as an experiment and see what people think. You start with a spanner and a monkey in your inventory, though you won't in the full game. Start off by trying to use them on anything you can until you get the hang of things. The ultimate goal of the demo is to hospitalise Thursleigh Worplesdon. GOod luck!

It's still a little rough, some of the interactions aren't done (the oven and washing machine are basically useless at this point), but it's fully completeable. There will probably be bugs here and there so if you come across one, let me know!

Cassiebsg

Looks great, I'll give it a try once I have the time.  (nod)
Good luck with production.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

Looks fun, the protagonist really reminds me of Bernard in Black Books:

abstauber

Sounds like exactly the game you wanna play after a bad day.
I'm hooked, best of luck with it!

Oh, and your download contais the game twice (there's another 7z inside the windows folder)

Unsung[JUKEBOX]Hero

The artwork is great, I can't wait to see the finished product!

Btw I absolutely love the idea of criticize instead of look. Works for the theme you're going for.

Duckbutcher

Blondbraid - I'd never thought of that but there is a definite resemblance both physical and in character! Perhaps I should give him a chronic wine habit. In fact he was almost called Bernard (I was going for mundane names) but I changed it to Keith because of DOTT. Weird eh?

Thanks for the positive comments everyone, please do let me know what you think of the game, I was trying to do something a bit different and really have no idea if this sort of thing (bitter, destructive protagonist breaks things belonging to other people and tries to put them in hospital) will work in a lucasartsy point and clicker.

On a side note, I've been away from these forums for ten years, so it's nice to be back, even though it seems a lot quieter than it used to be.

Mandle

Looks amazing and exactly the alternative to the regular point and clicks that are needed now and then!

Cassiebsg

That was fun!  (laugh) (laugh) (laugh)
Not every day we get to ruin someone and feel great about it.  (nod)

PS. I may have spotted a glitch?
Spoiler

Spoilers ahead
Spoiler

I'm pretty sure that after I destroyed the tap downstairs, I went upstairs and destroyed both taps in the bathroom, yet once he started burning, he went downstairs, then up and used the bath tap to save himself...  8-0 Had to go up and destroy it, again....  (wtf)
Not sure what happened there.
[close]
[close]
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Duckbutcher

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 14/04/2017 19:59:27
PS. I may have spotted a glitch?
Spoiler

Spoilers ahead
Spoiler

I'm pretty sure that after I destroyed the tap downstairs, I went upstairs and destroyed both taps in the bathroom, yet once he started burning, he went downstairs, then up and used the bath tap to save himself...  8-0 Had to go up and destroy it, again....  (wtf)
Not sure what happened there.
[close]
[close]

Hmm, I've just tried that myself and everything seems fine. Can you tell me exactly how it happened, is it repeatable? I discovered a small bug myself in the process, if you just click on the moose's head without selecting a verb, it plays the interaction for when you attempt to use the spanner on it. There's always something...

But yeah, can't get it to do what you said there. If anyone else had the same problem let me know!

SilverSpook

Fantastic!  You had me at, "Criticize ironic self portrait."

Will be keeping eyes on this one for sure.

selmiak

Shadow1000

That was FUNNY, especially the ending. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard at something that silly. Thanks for the demo.

Duckbutcher

Thanks for the feedback guys - anyone spot any bugs?

I've let this one sit since I finished the demo, but I've got some time off work next week, so I'll be starting on the rest of the game - got to get a mapscreen and a few more locations in and try to tie it all together. In the meantime do let me know if you have any feedback or thoughts, and watch this space!

InCreator

Absolutely loving it!
Some hints could appear here and there though. Reached to the very end and... it took me almost an hour to figure out the portrait. Red herrings in inventory didn't help either.

Duckbutcher

Quote from: InCreator on Wed 26/04/2017 13:02:10
Absolutely loving it!
Some hints could appear here and there though. Reached to the very end and... it took me almost an hour to figure out the portrait. Red herrings in inventory didn't help either.

Red herrings? Everything you can get in the demo is useable in some (usually more than one) way. Everything burnable will go in the fire if you trap Thursleigh in the window for example. While this doesn't contribute to the "main" ruin (burning the portrait), it adds a score behind the scenes which in the demo doesn't do much but piss Thursleigh off and lead to some silly dialogues, but in the full game will contribute to unlocking locations/events etc. I am glad you stuck with it for an hour though, thanks!

SarahLiz

Now THIS is a game I can get into.  Love the sarcastic wit, old school graphics, funny characters...it's awesome & I want you to finish it so I can play the whole thing!  Can't wait!  I hope you complete it, because it's exactly the kind of game I like to play & yet see so rarely.

💃🏼😁

Michael2968

I have really enjoyed the demo so far but I need a hint about how to destroy the picture. I think I've pretty much destroyed everything except the picture because Thursleigh always stops me.

Thanks,
Michael

I finally figured it out. Thanks for the great demo. I look forward to the full game coming out in the future.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk