New GFX set for AGS default Template (based on Sierra games)

Started by selmiak, Sat 15/04/2017 09:53:45

Previous topic - Next topic

CaesarCub

Quote from: selmiak on Sun 13/05/2018 12:07:42
there is no improvement in the scripting part between the two modules, only a cosmetic change on the surface, a stylish uplift of the art, right?

I think the only change is that this template uses a custom Quit gui instead of the system one to preserve the look and feel.
It has been a while since I touched this code.

Cassiebsg

Maybe it could be a good idea to have a sticky thread with links to all templates with a short explanation about the differences... Not every one that first downloads AGS, starts a new game and is asked to choose a template (or none), knows what a BASS template is... (roll) I know I had no idea, couldn't find a quick explanations, and thus choose "Default" thinking the blank is scary and default should be the one to fit my needs... (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Crimson Wizard

@CaesarCub, could you also put the License.txt into the template source itself?

Also, idk if anyone noticed, or is it intended, but the template.ico still has old roger sprite on it.

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 13/05/2018 13:05:43
Maybe it could be a good idea to have a sticky thread with links to all templates with a short explanation about the differences... Not every one that first downloads AGS, starts a new game and is asked to choose a template (or none), knows what a BASS template is... (roll) I know I had no idea, couldn't find a quick explanations, and thus choose "Default" thinking the blank is scary and default should be the one to fit my needs... (laugh)

I believe that would be convenient to have template description displayed when you choose it in the menu. Right now AGS displays the contents of "template.txt" when you first open the new game. Probably that could be better to show it in the template selection window.

CaesarCub

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 13/05/2018 14:52:05

Is it enough with adding it to the directory or do you want me to add it to the script header as well?

Also, idk if anyone noticed, or is it intended, but the template.ico still has old roger sprite on it.

Updated the icon with a new one.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: CaesarCub on Sun 13/05/2018 16:17:03

Is it enough with adding it to the directory or do you want me to add it to the script header as well?

I am not an expert in how this works, but I think that the text should be present in the template itself, at least in some form, when you unpack it.

Crimson Wizard

Also, following files are created by the Editor as you work, and should not be inside the template source:

Game.agf.bak <--- I think this one is actually packed inside agt file right now, it appears when I create new game
Game.agf.user
backup_acsprset.spr

EDIT: Oh, sorry, perhaps AGS creates these on its own when making new game from template.

CaesarCub

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 13/05/2018 16:39:48
Also, following files are created by the Editor as you work, and should not be inside the template source:

Game.agf.bak <--- I think this one is actually packed inside agt file right now, it appears when I create new game
Game.agf.user
backup_acsprset.spr

Added them to git ignore and removed them from the repository.

As for the license, I'm unsure as where to put it.

I tried to put the license in the template.txt so it is shown the first time the user imports the template, but it just overflows the message window and it's no good.
Should I put it in the GlobalScript header? Won't that imply that any new code put there by whoever uses the template will fall into that category?

Would it be enough to mention in the template.txt that the template falls into the CC BY license and maybe add a link, or do we need the whole license to be there?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: CaesarCub on Mon 14/05/2018 13:13:45
As for the license, I'm unsure as where to put it.

Simply having a License.txt in the game files should suffice, I believe.

EDIT:
Ok, I checked the License in the sources again, and it looks like a big legal document, which is hard to understand. I think there were shorter variants of CC BY text, which explain it in simple human language.
I do not know how to organize this "correctly", or if there are any rules. Maybe this is not that a big deal and you may put both license texts there.

For example, this is the contents of License.txt in the published sources of my game:
The 'Last'n'Furious' game source is licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode
Human-readable summary: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

Project script by Ivan Mogilko (aka Crimson Wizard).
Art by Jim Reed.

Music authors and licenses are noted in Music/licenses.txt
But I am not an expert there and do not know how what is proper.

Hobo

Quote from: CaesarCub on Mon 14/05/2018 13:13:45
Should I put it in the GlobalScript header? Won't that imply that any new code put there by whoever uses the template will fall into that category?
How about creating an new script called licence and putting all the related stuff there, then it can all be easily deleted from the game also.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Hobo on Mon 14/05/2018 13:33:01
How about creating an new script called licence and putting all the related stuff there, then it can all be easily deleted from the game also.

Why creating script if you can create a txt file?

Crimson Wizard

Ok, I have to apologize, because I could have been mistaken about all thing and just wasted everyones time.

Earlier I thought that the template was different from Default one in terms of script too, but now it appears it is only different in terms of graphics.

This probably means that it should be noted that a license is applied to graphics only?

Other templates do not have any licenses other than ones in script.

What about adding a License.txt saying that template's graphics are subject to CC (which you chose) license, giving a short "human" variant of license text and just a link to full legal text?

Hobo

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 14/05/2018 13:36:06
In case you want to have the stuff inside the template itself and not only in the game folder. Just a thought.

Cassiebsg

What is wrong into putting a "blurb" like CW suggested into the template header&script (code license & graphics license)? Seems not too much and easily readable/accessible. Then one can just have licence.txt with the bigger lingo attached.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Hobo on Mon 14/05/2018 13:47:09
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 14/05/2018 13:36:06
In case you want to have the stuff inside the template itself and not only in the game folder. Just a thought.
I am sorry, but I do not understand, what do you mean by "have stuff inside the template itself"?

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 14/05/2018 14:38:48
What is wrong into putting a "blurb" like CW suggested into the template header&script (code license & graphics license)?
Afaik you put license in script when you are author of the script, this is what they do with script modules.

Hobo

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 14/05/2018 14:55:34
I am sorry, but I do not understand, what do you mean by "have stuff inside the template itself"?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I was under the impression that the current plan was to either have an external .txt file show up on screen once when the template is imported for the first time or simply have an external .txt file that you can access from the template folder. And I was suggesting to add a new script (titled template licence, for example) next to the GlobalScript, which then contains overall licence information in the header or the script itself. So that when I want to read it again, I can do it from inside my project and don't have to look up the .txt file from the template folder.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk