Is anyone still using WinXP SP2 or below?

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sun 16/04/2017 22:51:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan v.Drake

SP3 had become the de facto standard, due to many drivers and programs requiring it specifically.
I'm surprised there are still people running xp sp2 and below... there's not even reason not to upgrade.

4.0 or 4.5 is a non issue for mono, as long as the features being used are supported by both, it should compile all the same.

- Alan

Danvzare

Quote from: Alan v.Drake on Wed 19/04/2017 11:39:24
I'm surprised there are still people running xp sp2 and below... there's not even reason not to upgrade.
Upgrading would make the computer run slower. So if your computer is already so old that it already runs quite slow, upgrading to sp3 would make it run at a crawl's pace.
That being said, I agree with you. Just upgrade to sp3, and if it runs too slowly, upgrade your hardware.

Khris

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 19/04/2017 12:50:52Upgrading would make the computer run slower. So if your computer is already so old that it already runs quite slow, upgrading to sp3 would make it run at a crawl's pace.
Where do you come up with these claims? Do you have access to some secret reservoir of knowledge we mere mortals don't know about?

A quick google search for "speed xp sp2 vs sp3" reveals several results that show the difference to be marginal in either direction, or pretty much non-existent.

Edit: anecdotes =/= data

Snarky

Although this was on Windows 7, I actually ran out of space on my primary hard drive, and got to the point where Windows Update didn't work any more, so I can see it happening. (I had to move a bunch of applications I had installed to another hard drive to clear up space, but it wasn't so easy since I no longer had the license key for the Adobe Creative Suite, which I had gotten through my old work.)

Danvzare

Quote from: Khris on Wed 19/04/2017 15:41:01
Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 19/04/2017 12:50:52Upgrading would make the computer run slower. So if your computer is already so old that it already runs quite slow, upgrading to sp3 would make it run at a crawl's pace.
Where do you come up with these claims? Do you have access to some secret reservoir of knowledge we mere mortals don't know about?
A Youtube channel ran by someone who fixes computers for a living.

He once fixed a computer, cleaned out the registry, and updated everything, to make it run faster. But it ran slower. Quite simply, service packs (and updates in general) usually require a stronger computer to run. (He even said "try explaining that to your customers.")

Of course I assumed that going from XP sp2 to XP sp3, would incur the same requirements increase as upgrading to any newer service pack in the other Windows operating systems. But I guess was wrong.
But don't forget there's also hard drive space. So I wasn't entirely wrong.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk