SOLVED:Translations not translating everything

Started by Stranga, Tue 18/04/2017 03:41:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Stranga

Hello everyone, I'm not sure why this is happening but I have 3 different languages in my game. The problem is that the game is not translating everything into another language. For example I ave Portuguese but some text still shows up in English, but when I check the source trs the English text is in Portuguese so its not the source file. Anyone knows what's going on with this?

EDIT: Iv'e had to open this thread back up because it is happening again and the trs file seems fine.

EDIT: I've made a further discovery. I made some grammar and spelling edits and noticed that instead of the trs file updating the edits, they added the edits as new lines at the bottom of the trs file. Is there a way to fix this problem?

FINAL EDIT: I will place this as solved because I found a work around. I just added the translated lines to the duplicate ones that were added.

Khris

The best way to solve all those problems at once is to only start with the translation after all in-game text has been finalized.

As for how the translation files work: they are basically a two column database. When you update a translation because in-game text has changed, AGS has no way of finding the original line; it will simply not find the corrected line in the first column, and add a new "row" to the "database".

You can remove the "dead row" by removing the erroneous line, as long as you also remove the following translation line. You can also manually replace the erroneous line with the one AGS added to the end. As long as each odd line contains in-game text, the translation source will do its job, no matter the order of the line-pairs.

Snarky

What if you use the SpeechCenter plugin to edit the text? Won't that keep track of the lines you've edited so they'll still match up with the translations?

Stranga

Thanks guys for answering this topic. I should have finalized everything before I started the translation. I wanted to try a work around by adding an actual English translation and making it a default one. In theory, if I were just to add edits to the English.trs file it should not add extra lines to the default game text or other language trs files.

P.S I will be using the SpeechCenter plugin from now on.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk