MUSIC Competition - Theme: LOVE - March 2017

Started by Dualnames, Wed 15/03/2017 13:49:35

Previous topic - Next topic

DBoyWheeler

I didn't take part in this because I'm not that skilled in making game music (or much any music for that matter)... but if there were another one, I'd like to do it as a rap (similar to Knuckles' levels in Sonic Adventure 2, as an example).

xBRANEx

Sorry, I'm little late: http://www67.zippyshare.com/v/N7J7DGjV/file.html

Never did got around to finish it up. Just a sketch but it will do!

Ibispi

Sorry guys, this ship is sinking, so someone has to replace the captain temporarily (I don't know where the captain is, here's hoping he's okay).
Anyways, I'm sure he would've wanted this, since:
Quote from: DualnamesThe main problems of the old tune competition, which explained the lack of entries, were:
1) Unclear deadlines.
(...)
Current score:

#1P R O M I S E by Dualnames15
#2irecommendlove2d by ibispi14
#3Viola and Oboe by bicilotti8
#4Her number on my palm by Creamy8
#5Ogon's entry by Ogon12
#6Trouble in Paradise by xBRANEx3

The voting is going to work this way: You can give 3, 2 and 1 point respectively to different songs you choose. It also be nice to give an explanation behind your vote, but it's not necessary.
Also, you cannot vote for your own entry.

Let the voting commence!

UPDATE: The voting closes on 15th May.

bicilotti

Quote from: Ibispi on Wed 03/05/2017 17:16:44
Let the voting commence!

Promises (dualnames): probably the most developed song of the contest, having a definite begin/middle/ending and a recognisable love thematic. Liked the nippon vibes! 3 points

I recommend love2d (ibispi): saturnine and deep, the most moving of all tunes and probably the one with most interesting sound choices. 2 points

Ogon's entry by Ogon: very well orchestrated, albeit in my opinion the "love" theme is scant at the beginning and gets lost in the second part. 1 point

"Her number on my palm" and "Trouble in Paradise" were quality entries too, with their distinctive flavour. Really great entries this month!

Creamy

#1 P R O M I S E by Dualnames â€" fuzzy love written all over it.

#5 Ogon's entry by Ogon - Gorgeous instrumentation. Love may not be the first word that comes to my mind when I hear it but I think it could fit that bill.

#3 Viola and Oboe by bicilotti â€" I  picture a young couple in a Jane Austen movie when I hear it.

Trouble in paradise is is nice and laid-back but doesn't particularly remind me of love.
I couldn't give a good reason as to why I didn't choose irecommendlove2d.

Ogon

#1 (3 Points) Dualnames - very bubbly, funky & jazzy piece. It has a certain quirkiness about it that I both love and hate!

#2 (2 Points) xBRANEx - I like how dreamy the instrumentation is! It fits the atmosphere perfectly, but otherwise it is a bit unremarkable in terms of melody (especially in comparison to Dualnames' submission).

#3 (1 Point) ibispi - lovely instrumentation and I like the varied melodies and beachy sound. Sometimes the melody is a bit 'matter of fact' though, and the background instrumentation gets a bit overly busy in some places.

I also found bicilotti's piece somewhat fitting to the theme, but the other submissions seem to have put in considerably more work into a more complex arrangement and sound which I wanted to honor accordingly in the voting.

Ibispi

I guess it's my turn to vote.
xBRANEx, like you said, your composition feels kind of unfinished/a sketch, so you should still work on it and finish it. If I could give a 4th vote it would be for your entry.
Creamy, nice guitar track, but I feel your guitar was a bit out of tune when you recorded the song?
I felt as if Ogon and Dualnames have put the most work into their songs, it's just that Dualnames' song feels more like it's about love than Ogon's song.
So...

#1 (3 points) Dualnames
#2 (2 points) Ogon

and bicilotti's song is #3 (1 point) because I am a stupid millennial and I don't appreciate baroque music enough.

Creamy

QuoteCreamy, nice guitar track, but I feel your guitar was a bit out of tune when you recorded the song?
The guitar was tuned before the recording so I'm probably to blame if it's dissonant.
Maybe I haven't bent the strings enough to reach higher notes in the last solo?

Ibispi

It sounded dissonant to me, if it the guitar was in tune, then yeah you probably played some notes that were not part of the scale. But, nice entry, anyways, I also play the guitar in the spare time and I appreciate to hear some more guitar playing. :)
Keep it up.

xBRANEx

My votes are:

Ogon's Entry - 3 points
irecommendlove2d - 2 points
Her number on my palm - 1 point

Ogon, I would love to know what VSTi's did you use for your composition, especially the starting choir part? I agree it doesn't speak love to me but it sounds so good I had to give it 3 points.

The atmosphere on irecommendlove2d is brilliant, I can hear it in a game or even a movie without a problem.

"Her number on my palm" sounds nice too. I loved the start but after the break on the first minute it loses the magic for me.

Dualnames

Glad to see bsp starting the voting, so here are my votes

irecommendlove2d - 3 points
Viola and Oboe - 2 points
Ogon - 1 point

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ibispi

I've updated the score post with the date for when the voting will stop.

gameboy

Ibispi - 3 points
Dualnames - 2 points
Ogon - 1 point

Cassiebsg

3 pts = Her number on my palm by Creamy
2 pts = Ogon's entry by Ogon
1 pt  = P R O M I S E by Dualnames

Good job everyone!  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

[delete}

Ibispi - 3 - Been loop-listening to this Bitwig-arranged song during long pixel-sessions - personally feeling the desire of longing for someone. I'm enjoying the fine mix of icewind chills, carefully placed breaks and sputtering 8-bit sounds. Therefore a fitting title. Added to my longplaylist. Can recommend also his worthwile Twitch streams on occasion.

bicilotti - 2 points - Impressively composed with abc music in ViM texteditor, on a ten+ year old notebook with broken LCD display. Yet nothing can becloud the beautiful clearness and strict musicality of baroque chamber music. So one point for using efficient computing as logical counterpart of Bach's epoch. And plus 1+ more for applying opensource instrument sound libraries. Well done!

Creamy - 1 point - And I thought Marc being just an overly talented painter and animation artist from France. Now he's also stunning in composing. Or, like in 'Her number on my palm', in collaging tracks with relaxed electronic beats and straightforward guitar play. Catchy track, with the second half being the best.

xBraneX - Underrated in this competition, yet worth your time: An open sounding ambient wavescape, mixed with dolphin sounds and a reduced, iterative base melody. I like it, reminds me a lot of space travelling internet radios. (Besides, not being appraised enough is also kinda cool. Some of the best albums like The Beach Boys 'Pet Sounds' were overlooked at their time.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk