Editing/ Recoloring Sprites? Rules?

Started by GameMaker_95, Wed 19/04/2017 13:39:56

Previous topic - Next topic

GameMaker_95

So I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question. After playing Thimbleweed Park I wanted to make a short little game in a similar style to Maniac Mansion (Art wise), I am fine with backgrounds but when it comes to
character sprites and namely giving them a decent walk cycle, I suck. I wanted to know if using the character sprites from the Maniac Mansion Deluxe fan remake, editing them and recoloring them was allowed as they are what I'm going for. I wanted to know because if the game turns out somewhat decent I'd possibly like to put it on the site. I only wonder if it is allowed because I see other games that use edited sprites, at least as far as I can tell. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Khris

Sure, lots of people do this. As long as you don't go commercial, it's fine.

Here's the resources section of a forum dedicated to making short Maniac Mansion fan games: http://www.maniac-mansion-mania.com/index.php/en/ressourcen.html

GameMaker_95

Great! Thank you Khris, that is awesome to know. I really appreciate it.

Cassiebsg

Also, remember to credit the original sprite artist.  ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

GameMaker_95

No problem, Thanks for letting me know. I will try and find their name.

Danvzare

Good luck! :-D
I did the same thing once, and I've regretted it ever since. But it gave me a good start for using AGS, and allowed me to finish my first proper game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk