New AGS default Template contestjam --- gIconbar .... Winner announced!

Started by selmiak, Fri 21/04/2017 17:14:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Danvzare

Wow, I got second to last place! 8-0
I must have done better than I thought. :-D

Hmm, considering how close Caesar Cub and selmiak's votes are to each other. Do you think it might be possible to combine both entries in some way?
They are pretty similar.

Maybe we could talk about what we liked most about them both. Like the briefcase from selmiak's as well as the border. And the options icon from Caesar Cub's.
It's just an idea. Feel free to ignore it if you think it's stupid. :-D

Gurok

That's a great idea, Danvzare!
Can we combine your idea and selmiaks? i.e. Have a run off on the top three entries, then combine whatever the top two entries are.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Crimson Wizard

IDK if mentioned already, I've noticed some iconbars contain "C:\>", a reference to DOS command prompt. I wonder if Unix users will like these :D.

CaesarCub

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 22/05/2017 15:51:55
IDK if mentioned already, I've noticed some iconbars contain "C:\>", a reference to DOS command prompt. I wonder if Unix users will like these :D.

Hahaha. Well, when I did the first iconbar I put the C:\> and the disks because I was thinking retro, and all the older games were for DOS, but after a chat I thought it was a good idea to replace them with more modern icons (after all, kids these days don't know what C:\> is and they have never seen a floppy disk).
That is the reasoning behind doing a backpack instead of a briefcase. I don't see many people using briefcases now a days, maybe a box or a bag like the one cat made are better suited. A pouch just seemed too medieval.

cat

I like CaesarCub's icon bar, it has such a nice retro vibe that totally fits AGS and can be used for a wide range of games.
My icon bar, on the other hand, simulates a modern Windows tile view and is probably most useful for Sci-Fi games, but nothing retro. Still, I'm glad that so many people like it :)
Maybe, if I find some time, I'll create a template from it and post it in Modules & Plugins board for everyone who wants to use it.

Quote from: selmiak on Sun 21/05/2017 13:44:05
2. #11 cat, dig that hand and the icons on the right
Quote from: CaesarCub on Tue 23/05/2017 14:20:45
That is the reasoning behind doing a backpack instead of a briefcase. I don't see many people using briefcases now a days, maybe a box or a bag like the one cat made are better suited.
If you want to use any of my icons to improve other template versions, please just go ahead!

TomatoesInTheHead

Nice results!

What I really like about cat's icon bar is the colorwise separation of verb buttons and game control buttons. Maybe that could be incorporated in CeasarCub's #4, e.g by using the color scheme of #5's load game button for the four buttons on the right side. This color scheme is also a bit more toned done compared to the orange/red on blue, which underlines the fact that saving and quitting the game is not an important action, but playing it is what's important! ;-D

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Super well done CeasarCub!..  wow this is such an honer having your name/work integrated officially into the stock software.

Also great and well thought out designs from everyone else too.

Danvzare

Quote from: TomatoesInTheHead on Sun 28/05/2017 16:37:49
Nice results!

What I really like about cat's icon bar is the colorwise separation of verb buttons and game control buttons. Maybe that could be incorporated in CeasarCub's #4, e.g by using the color scheme of #5's load game button for the four buttons on the right side. This color scheme is also a bit more toned done compared to the orange/red on blue, which underlines the fact that saving and quitting the game is not an important action, but playing it is what's important! ;-D

Ooh, I like that idea.
Also, on another thread, I've seen CeasarCub come up with a few more palettes, so there's plenty of opportunity to do this.  (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk