The Crimson Diamond

Started by jmjm, Wed 26/04/2017 17:01:45

Previous topic - Next topic

jmjm

Inspired by Sierra On-line's "The Colonel's Bequest", an EGA text parser adventure game of mystery and intrigue set in Northern Ontario, Canada! Made with AGS, of course!

The year is 1913. You are a clerk working at the Royal Ontario Museum and your boss wants the mineralogy exhibit to be the talk of the town when the museum opens the following year. So when a fisherman finds a huge diamond in the belly of a fish, the Professor sends you up north to investigate! This could be your big chance to prove to everyone you have what it takes!

Work-in-progress game intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Eh8GeLHJ4&t=2s

Screenshots:

Development progress:
Story: 85%
Scripting: 15%
Graphics: 75%
Sound/Music: 0%

Expected completion date: When it's done.

Cassiebsg

This looks awesome!  (nod)
Looking forward to the release.  :-D

By, that was a long intro.  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

CaptainD

Gorgeous screenshots - and I'm not even a particular fan of that style!  (Arj0n is going to be in fits of rapture when he sees this!!)

All the best with development.  :cheesy:

Shadow1000

Looks terrific and being from Toronto I'm excited about the Canadian content and especially the ROM. Good luck!

Mandle

arj0n

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 26/04/2017 17:44:00
Gorgeous screenshots - and I'm not even a particular fan of that style!  (Arj0n is going to be in fits of rapture when he sees this!!)
Cappy, you're right. I absolutely LOVE those EGA (& CGA) games!

Keep up the good work jmjm!!

EDIT:
I was wondering why another Colonel's Bequest game was popping up :-D
Until I took a peek at that youtube video. Then I realized this is the work of Julia Minamata
(I've been following her work for quite some time already)

Can't wait to see this game being released, Julia, this looks so gorgeous! ;-D

AnasAbdin

How didn't I see this before?
I want this as soon as possible please.

Chicky

Hey Julia! Great to see a GiP thread for this. I'm the guy that helped with resizing pixel art for facebook a while back ;) The trailer looks lovely, that's some rad placeholder artwork. The finished screenshots are crazy good (nod)

ThreeOhFour

dactylopus

Charming.

This reminds me of my early years growing up near Toronto.  I watched the videos, and they look very nice so far.  The Intro had lots of super sketchy art that I thought was hilarious.  When the real art started to show, it looked fantastic.  Looking forward to seeing more.  Good luck!

selmiak

this looks spectacular. Some grass fields (green areas) like in the last 2 pictures could need some more highlights (one hl color) or brown patches like in image 2 to add some more variety. Keep it up! :-D

jmjm

Quote from: selmiak on Thu 11/05/2017 05:21:44
this looks spectacular. Some grass fields (green areas) like in the last 2 pictures could need some more highlights (one hl color) or brown patches like in image 2 to add some more variety. Keep it up! :-D

Ah, that's a good tip! The grass around the shed does look a bit too uniform. Jack probably isn't that great of a landscaper :P.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words! I have no idea when this game will be done. I'm a little intimidated by you seasoned veterans with your many completed games. This is my first one -- It started slow because I was learning how to use AGS. I'm STILL learning, but now the work is progressing faster.

QuoteHey Julia! Great to see a GiP thread for this. I'm the guy that helped with resizing pixel art for facebook a while back
Thanks, Chicky! Thanks to this game, I'm learning so much. Especially from helpful AGS folks!

Nixxon

WOW that's like... my all time favorite style. And you blitzed it! Looks killer.

jmjm

Hello, folks! I'm pleased to announce significant progress on The Crimson Diamond (not the least of which, it has a name now!). The Crimson Diamond website is where you can subscribe to a mailing list, various social media links, DOWNLOAD THE DEMO, and listen to me discuss the game on the Classic Gamers Guild podcast!

Any feedback can be sent to feedback@thecrimsondiamond.com

Hope you like it!

Mandle

Lovely title screen! Is there a reason why the diamond isn't crimson though?

jmjm

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 08/11/2018 01:59:14

The game is set in a ghost town called Crimson, Ontario. So not a for real crimson diamond! Already it has intrigued you, yes? :-D

Click'd

The first mind screw right on the title screen. That's gotta be a record.

jmjm

Quote from: Too much clicking on Thu 08/11/2018 05:22:46
The first mind screw right on the title screen. That's gotta be a record.

Ehehehehe! I look forward to feedback. There's even an AGS easter egg... And many thanks, again, to this community for helping me when I got stuck with coding. ;-D

dactylopus

I'm so happy to see an update on this game!  I was worried it may have been abandoned.  Thanks for sharing!

Mandle

Quote from: jmjm on Thu 08/11/2018 03:01:21
Quote from: Mandle on Thu 08/11/2018 01:59:14

The game is set in a ghost town called Crimson, Ontario. So not a for real crimson diamond! Already it has intrigued you, yes? :-D

Oh, sweet! And yes it does!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk