Jibble

Author Topic: MODULE: SpeechBubble v0.8.0  (Read 9358 times)

bx83

• Get 'Er Doooooone
Re: MODULE: SpeechBubble v0.8.0
« Reply #60 on: 28 Jul 2019, 09:33 »
Will this slow it down, have the old compiler etc. and basically be like using 3.4.1?

« Reply #61 on: 28 Jul 2019, 10:04 »
Will this slow it down, have the old compiler etc. and basically be like using 3.4.1?

It simply enables old script commands. They are hidden but still there.

bx83

• Get 'Er Doooooone
« Reply #62 on: Yesterday at 11:31 »
Cool, got it, changed and works.

I have a question for Snarky (or anyone if they know the answer).
SpeechBubble has a border of custom thickness and colour to text in the speech bubble. How do I do this elsewhere in the game?
I have an item description as a GUI with a label containig '@OVERHOTSPOT@', positioned at the top-centre of screen. How can I make this text with a 2px thickness black border, just as text in SpeechBubble?

Snarky

• Global Moderator
  • Private Insultant
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2018, for his numerous additions to the AGS open source ecosystem including the new Awards Ceremony client and modules
    • Snarky worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Snarky worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #63 on: Yesterday at 11:42 »
SpeechBubble uses custom code to draw the outline (the function drawStringWrappedOutline()). To get this effect elsewhere in the game you would have to copy that code and draw the text yourself onto a dynamic sprite (shown as an overlay, GUI, etc.).

The AGS devs are currently working on incorporating something similar into the engine, but I'm not sure whether that covers all text or only speech.

« Reply #64 on: Yesterday at 19:54 »
… colour to text in the speech bubble. How do I do this elsewhere in the game?

As concerns the colour of the outline in standard AGS without modules, see game.text_shadow_color (look for "game. variables" in the index of the online doc). You'll need to set the variable immediately before the  Say() or  Display() or whatever command and reset it immediately afterwards because this variable pertains to all outlines -- keep it at a certain value and the outlines will be coloured that way everywhere.

For my recent game Mamma mia Winter Ice Cream Mayhem, I've patched the Engine at the same place that the new code for variable outline thickness is going to go. I got thick outlines in the status line, too. So I think that the thick outlines will come everywhere, not only in Say().
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 20:26 by fernewelten »