Jibble

Author Topic: TEMPLATE: Tumbleweed Verbs 1.2 Last update: 4th April 2019  (Read 11994 times)

First of all: Thank you, abstauber for this nice template! Gefällt mir! ;)

I'm currently working on my first game and I changed some GUIs and sprites to match my taste. Among others I replaced the verbs with the ones shown in the screenshot.
Now I'm not sure, if (when I release this game sometime) I might get problems because it looks too similar to the original Thimbleweed-verbs. (although I drew them totally new for that low resolution, 320x180)

Should I change it? What do you all think?  ???

Here's a comparison of both:

mine:

Thimbleweed Park:

abstauber

• Cavefish
  • still mowing the lawn
    • abstauber worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • abstauber worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Wow, those graphics look really nice!

Well the button font is quite close to the one of Thimbleweed Park - I'd say if you go commercial, you might want to go for a more independet route.

But if it's freeware I don't see any issues at all - the font (also the color) fits your game perfectly (as far as I can tell from your background)

Thank you very much for your feedback! And you confirmed what I already thought.
I don't know, if it's going to be freeware or commercial - it will depend on how complex the game will finally be, full length or not... We'll see. It's still at an early stage.
So I think I'll keep the sprites for now and maybe make some new ones later.

By the way, I would give the actual sprites to anyone who's interested in using them. Just let me know...

Is it possible to save more than nine games?

abstauber

• Cavefish
  • still mowing the lawn
    •  
Yes, out of the box, you are stuck with nine games. But you can of course extend the save/load gui to your liking: you just need to add more save/load buttons and tell the optiongui script about it.

abstauber

• Cavefish
  • still mowing the lawn
    •  
Maybe it's time to finally declare 1.2 to be stable.  (nod)

This is mainly a refactoring release, no new functions have been added so far. But internally the template has changed a lot.

- cleaned up the global script (moved the remaining GUI actions to the options menu module)
- Localisation of the GUI elements is handled a bit different internally
- It's possible to change the GUIs being used by the template
- Some more refactoring, the template throws errors if a module is missing.
- Bugfix: Option GUI wasn't translated if English is not set as default language

Hello, I'd like to report a bug.

Preferably performed in larger rooms for convenience:
* Have room 1 and room2;
* In room 2 script cutscene where player's character is walking non-blocking in After Fade-in event
Code: Adventure Game Studio
  1. player.Walk(x,y,eNoBlock);
  2. while (player.Moving) Wait(1);
* Run the game, and when in room 1 start running with double-click;
* Immediately press Ctrl+X and change to room 2.

The player character will continue running during cutscene in another room.

Thinking about it, maybe it's enough to just run a cutscene in the same room. Guess the mistake is that character keeps running even when another Walk is called by a script command, even though it may not be required.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2019, 09:58 by Crimson Wizard »

abstauber

• Cavefish
  • still mowing the lawn
    •  
Hi and thanks for the bugreport.

I think, that this is because I check the running in repexec and not repexec always. An easy thing to mitigate this for room changes would be to stop running, everytime you change a room. Also by using CTRL-X you're cheating a bit, as I'm checking for 'regular' room changes at line VerbGui.asc:2519 ;)

Running is also cancelled by every new mouseclick, so for this to happen you need to trigger a cutscene while the player is running without any other interaction or event. And the game designer would not stop the player from moving. The question is: how to detect such a cutscene.
I could use Game.InSkippableCutscene, but this would leave out unskipable cutscenes. Maybe a solution would be simply to add a StopRunning command which you would call in a cutscene

I'd love to get some more input on this.

Anyway to stop running also via CTRL-X room changes, this should do the trick
VerbGui.asc:2181
Code: Adventure Game Studio
  1. function on_event(EventType event, int data)
  2. {
  3.   if (event == eEventEnterRoomBeforeFadein) {
  4.     Verbs.CheckDefaultAction();
  5.     Verbs.UpdateActionBar();
  7.     verbsData.player_is_running = false;
  8.     player.StopMoving();
  9.     player.SetWalkSpeed(verbsData.player_walk_x_speed,  verbsData.player_walk_y_speed);
  10.     player.AnimationSpeed = verbsData.player_ani_speed;
  11.   }
  13.   else if (event==eEventRestoreGame) {
  14.     //Verbs.AdjustLanguage();
  15.     Verbs.InitGuiLanguage();
  16.   }
  17. }
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2019, 11:03 by abstauber »